Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Hello guys!

I have a game that I have bought back in march, when I still had Lion. Everything worked perfectly.

In July I got Mountain Lion, and first I was scared because this game doesn't work with Mountain Lion, but in the end everything was fine and there was no difference to before.

My problem now is that I had to reinstall the game and now I get a message that the game is already installed and that I should run the uninstall script first.

This whole story is a whole mess so I don't even know where to start.

Their uninstall script seems to be corrupted and gives me this bad interpreter error (ya'know). I downloaded the same script (well apparently it's not the same) from their support site, and strangely enough it worked. But it said it couldn't find the files to delete, because they weren't there.

Those files weren't there because I had already deleted them before. I've done that because their uninstall script doesn't work. I had this problem already once when I had to reinstall the game (on Mountain Lion) where it told me that it's already installed, and so I went to Library/Preferences, deleted some files, and voilà everything worked again.

Now this doesn't seem to work a second time.

This is my only game so I can no compare to another game and I can't really figure out where the problem is.

I've talked to the support section of the game, I've posted this on Apple support forums too.

But somehow we don't manage to find a solution :(

I'm really desperate so I thought I'd post here.

The problem may be Mountain Lion: once it's installed, the game works fine, but during the install process it makes problems.

I would not like to reinstall Lion because I would loose all my stuff that I have right now.

So do you guys know how I could (with some tricks maybe) install an App on Mountain Lion that isn't really supported by Mountain Lion?

I hope there is such a thing :confused:

Of course I would prefer if the reason was that I forgot to delete a file in the Preferences folder… but I simply can't find anything anymore. But then again, I'm a noob at this… :(

If you guys could help me make this run again, I don't know how much I could thank you!!! :)

Best regards!

PS: Already tried to delete everything with AppCleaner and CCleaner.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Look at the first post in this threadon the Apple Community forums for a similar problem with installing Airport Utility 5.6 on Mountain Lion. The work around there might work for your game also. Just an idea.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Thanks man!

So far I'm at step 4, but I have no idea how to do what's written there.

Do you happen to have an exact code of what I need to enter in terminal?

I'm really a noob at this I'm afraid :confused:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks man!

So far I'm at step 4, but I have no idea how to do what's written there.

Do you happen to have an exact code of what I need to enter in terminal?

I'm really a noob at this I'm afraid :confused:

He has the Terminal commands in bold at each step, just follow those. It will be different depending on what the .pkg is called for your game.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Alright so this is the code right? mkdir tmp ; cd tmp

I typed this in terminal and it said:

mkdir: tmp: File exists

I also dragged the .pkg to the terminal in the dock and typed it again, and it gave me the same answer.

But apart from this nothing happened! Am I doing something wrong? I also tried removing the first space before the ; :eek:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Type exit in Terminal then command-q to quit Terminal. Now start Terminal again and paste in the below command. If it says tmp already exists, then it sounds like you already made the tmp folder? Just do "cd tmp" (without quotes) on its own and that will put you in the tmp folder.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Type exit in Terminal then command-q to quit Terminal. Now start Terminal again and paste in the below command. If it says tmp already exists, then it sounds like you already made the tmp folder? Just do "cd tmp" (without quotes) on its own and that will put you in the tmp folder.

I typed exit like you said, quit terminal, reopened it again, then I'm not sure what you meant with code below? Code above? I typed "mkdir tmp" (without quotes) and it said the same thing again ("mkdir: tmp: File exists"), I then typed "cd tmp" and it did nothing. So apparently it already exists, but where do I find it now? Very strange haha :D

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I typed exit like you said, quit terminal, reopened it again, then I'm not sure what you meant with code below? Code above? I typed "mkdir tmp" (without quotes) and it said the same thing again ("mkdir: tmp: File exists"), I then typed "cd tmp" and it did nothing. So apparently it already exists, but where do I find it now? Very strange haha :D

When you typed cd tmp that completed that command and you are now in the correct folder. Just proceed with the rest of the commands now.

If you look in Finder you will see that the tmp folder is shown in your users folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.