Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...In the official iPad Mini video, Ive explicitly says "...you can still pick it up and easily use it with one hand..." Earlier in the video, they make the distinction that you can hold it with one hand, but at the 2:10 mark, they're clearly talking about using it with one hand.

Achem's Razor: Which makes more sense?
1. Apple misspoke and meant you can hold it with one hand?
2. Apple actually thinks you can hold and touch all parts of an 8" screen with one hand.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
2. Apple actually thinks you can hold and touch all parts of an 8" screen with one hand.

Or

3) Apple marketing.

They don't necessarily say you can touch all parts of the screen with one hand. They just say you can use it with one hand. But if you can get away with labeling something usable with one hand by that definition, so can smartphones be used with one hand. (Plus, you likely can touch the whole screen one handed on a larger smartphone).

I'm not saying I believe Apple. I'm simply saying Apple's marketing is disingenuous. They campaign against larger than 4" devices as un-usable with one hand, then turn around and say 7.8" is totally usable with one hand.

Everyone knows Apple is locked into their double-resolution upgrades. Their own fear of fragmentation really holds them back from truly exploring hardware and software.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
I was looking for sand paper in my iPad mini box but didn't find any :p It's interesting to see how Apple is backing away from some of SJ's comments.

I do love the mini. I've had every iPad, now have iPad 3 and Mini so I can sell my other 7" tab now. It'd be great if I can justify upgrading my 3 to a 4 so I can use a single cable...

It would only be backing away from his comments if he were still CEO and if you assume he actually believed 7 inch tablets were inferior to 10 inch tablets. Since Tim Cook is now in charge, he is able to assert his own beliefs and visions related to their products. What Steve said is a whole other era, and things will be different now. Tim very well may have always disagreed with Steve about tablet size, and if so then him making this decision would not be about backing away from Jobs' comments, but rather him taking the company in a different direction under his tenure.

People always reference things Steve Jobs said to illustrate that either Steve was wrong or that Apple is flip flopping, but here is the thing about Steve's past comments... He was a master marketer and salesman (among other things) and he would say what he needed to say to sell his product. When he was proclaiming the perfection of 10 inch tablets, his company did not yet have a 7 inch tablet, so of course he is going to call them junk. Now, to his credit, most of them were in fact junk (if not all), but even if there were some good 7 inch tablets, he is going to say they suck because he wants you to believe that you want/need his tablet more than all the others.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Agreed, I don't like the design of the iPad mini for the same reasons you point out. With such a thin bezel on the sides it just looks weird to me.

Ipad mini is ugly. The thinner bezel made it ugly. Tablets should leave space for you to put your thumb on, even at 7 or 8 inch not everyone can palm it.

Sorry, but you two are doing it wrong. The point here is to look at the screen, not the bezel.

N0ddie

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Glasgow
A mini styled 10" iPad would be a good step forward. The much smaller bezel is definitely more stylish than the current 1" bezel the full size iPad currently has.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010

Apple did not mean to say you can hold it with one hand (instead of use it with one hand), and they also do not believe any normal sized human can hold and use with one hand for all things (excpet for Andre the Giant or Shaquille O'Neal).

They meant that it can be used with one hand (for certain tasks). It is implied, but it is there, you just have to read between the lines and stop being so literal. Many things you could never use it for one handed, but you could scroll through your iTunes library, or scroll down a web page, or turning pages on a book. There might be some additional things I am not thinking of, but you get the idea. No one at Apple thinks you can one handed bust out an email or create a keynote presentation on an iPad mini, it's just not possible.

MacPod

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
TL;DR:
"Must not say Apple does something for a reason, otherwise you are a fanboy."

Which is lame. You misrepresent what people have said (Jobs never said 9.7" was perfect, and when he made the point about smaller tablets, he was referring to tablets all of which were notably smaller than the 7.9" iPad mini).

You're taking this way too seriously, though. Who cares? The iPad mini is fantastic, and the following elements:

• Thin
  • Light
  • Same pixel dimensions as an iPad (thus doesn't add yet another to the mix)
  • Same pixel resolution as the iPhone (thus the UI isn't too small)

Were either not possible (the first two) or not realized (the second two) until recently. You are correct that the popularity of the smaller, more frustrating 7" tablets played a role here, but you are severely mistaken in thinking Apple could have made an iPad mini 2 years ago. The pieces weren't yet there.

You're also ignoring the fact that they didn't make the tablet Jobs was referring to (he never said 9.7" was perfect, he did say that 5" and 7" is too small at iPad pixel dimensions, and you'll note Apple has not made an iPad that small). The iPad mini has a much larger screen than all the 7" competition.

But don't let that get in the way of your veiled attempt to call Gruber, and anyone who agrees with him, a fanboy.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Gruber is clearly a fan, but he regularly calls out Apple on things he doesn't like, and he praises competitors when they do something better. That's a far cry from what a fanboy does.

For example, on his front page just a few articles down is a comment about how Siri is too slow compared to Google Voice Search.

I agree it's nuts, but that's what Apple says:
http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/overview/#video-ipad-mini-features

In the official iPad Mini video, Ive explicitly says "...you can still pick it up and easily use it with one hand..." Earlier in the video, they make the distinction that you can hold it with one hand, but at the 2:10 mark, they're clearly talking about using it with one hand.

Watch it.

I agree, it's an absurd claim that a mini tablet can be used one handed while a large smartphone can't.

I've watched it before (a couple times), so I don't need to watch it again. But I don't care about the wording that Ive used. You admit they make the distinction about holding it with one hand earlier in the video, and that's all they are referencing in the other quote. Could it have been worded better? Yes. But the intent of that sentence was not to actually mean that you can use it with just one hand.

cang87

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2012
It can't even be discussed as long as iPad Mini doesn't have better specifications than the Real iPad.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
It can't even be discussed as long as iPad Mini doesn't have better specifications than the Real iPad.

A real iPad, as opposed to a fake one? Such a ridiculous statement. Of course the mini wasn't going to have better specs than the full-size iPad that was just released. People want a better chip, retina graphics, etc. but a lower price point, of course. There' no way that was going to happen.

cang87

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2012
A real iPad, as opposed to a fake one? Such a ridiculous statement. Of course the mini wasn't going to have better specs than the full-size iPad that was just released. People want a better chip, retina graphics, etc. but a lower price point, of course. There' no way that was going to happen.

Yes.. That's why the thread is more ridiculous. I really like Mini too.. But even the lower price point tells itself that the Mini can not be the 'ideal' form factor for the iPad. iPad Mini is always going to be the alternative (which is the best alternative in my opinion) as long as 9.7 inc is in the market.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012

Yes.. That's why the thread is more ridiculous. I really like Mini too.. But even the lower price point tells itself that the Mini can not be the 'ideal' form factor for the iPad. iPad Mini is always going to be the alternative (which is the best alternative in my opinion) as long as 9.7 inc is in the market.

I don't see why one can't use the Mini as their only tablet. It's completely a choice left up to the individuals, which is what this is about, having a choice which is a great thing. I bought a Samsung 7" Tab Plus to complement my iPad 3, because Apple didn't give me a choice. That said, if I *HAD* to choose only one, I'll stick with my iPad 3. I feel fortunate that I can keep both, although we're only talking about a few hundred bucks' worth of electronic gadgets, which may or may not mean a lot to some.

----------

It would only be backing away from his comments if he were still CEO and if you assume he actually believed 7 inch tablets were inferior to 10 inch tablets. Since Tim Cook is now in charge, he is able to assert his own beliefs and visions related to their products. What Steve said is a whole other era, and things will be different now. Tim very well may have always disagreed with Steve about tablet size, and if so then him making this decision would not be about backing away from Jobs' comments, but rather him taking the company in a different direction under his tenure.

People always reference things Steve Jobs said to illustrate that either Steve was wrong or that Apple is flip flopping, but here is the thing about Steve's past comments... He was a master marketer and salesman (among other things) and he would say what he needed to say to sell his product. When he was proclaiming the perfection of 10 inch tablets, his company did not yet have a 7 inch tablet, so of course he is going to call them junk. Now, to his credit, most of them were in fact junk (if not all), but even if there were some good 7 inch tablets, he is going to say they suck because he wants you to believe that you want/need his tablet more than all the others.

Yes I completely agree with everything you said, especially about SJ saying whatever is needed. I've just always wanted to put the sand paper comment to use :D

What is the real iPod? How about the real Mac? There is no such thing. I think the question this thread addresses is "Will the iPad mini become what the iPod nano was to the iPod (classic)?" Meaning a smaller, cheaper, less capable late-comer to the line which ends up being by far more popular because it finds the perfect balance of size, price and capability.

You may argue no. But I argue yes.

Spoony

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
iphone = use with one one
ipad mini = hold with one hand

That is the literal interpretation for you dunderheads out there.

In terms of them saying use with one hand with the ipad mini they mean hold as well. You can not easily hold the big ipad with one hand for long periods of time but you can easily hold the mini for long periods of time.

use = hold for the mini.

if i read the internet while holding the ipad mini with one hand or read a book while holding the ipad mini with one hand i'm "using it" with one hand. (holding it)

The iphone they actually mean you can navigate the device with one single hand and do everything you need. Which is 100% accurate. You can not do that with any device 4.5 inches or above in size. I like the really big phones as well but you can not use it with just 1 hand for all tasks.

You guys need to think logically for a quick second.

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK
At the macro level there is no single ideal size for a tablet. It is a matter of personal needs and preferences.

This. For example, my needs have changed and now the mini is perfect for me. But if the mini had been available last year, I wouldn't have gotten it as I needed the iPad to be more productive back then and the larger screen was a necessity.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Agreed, I don't like the design of the iPad mini for the same reasons you point out. With such a thin bezel on the sides it just looks weird to me.

Love the thin bezel but prefer the larger size. How we see something like that on iPad 5.

cperry2

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
I think a 7 inch tablet and a 10 inch tablet are different devices. Yeah, they do pretty much the exact same thing but they feel radically different and lend themselves to different uses. Personally, as far as iPad goes I very much prefer the bigger iPad. As far as small tablets go, I think the Nexus 7 is the winner.

7.9 and 9.7. 15 and 13.

Maybe an interesting point: I put the big ipad right on top of my 15" screen and it covers exactly half of it. It's a smidge less in reality when you take the bezel into account, but you know.

So the 13" and 15" laptops are entirely different devices. Exactly the same thing going on here with tablets. The mini will simply be more popular because it's sufficient for more people's needs, and it costs less. Same with the 13" air and pro.

Because to be honest, I think even if the mini had a retina screen I would go with the bigger one so long as it's also got a stronger SoC, etc. I don't even mind the weight, the same way I don't mind carrying a 15" - I'm willing to give up some portability to get the best experience possible when actually using it.

At the same time, the mini is perfect for most people that same way the 13" or in some cases 11" notebook is ideal for most.

Power or portability. The choice is super clear. I'm happy.

Everyone enjoy what you got.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Sorry but no, you don't have to palm it. Because it weighs around half a pound it is incredibly easy to hold while walking around with your thumb on the side bezel. The larger bezel of the 9.7" iPad is needed for you to be able to hold the device with one hand without touching the screen.

So your thumb is on the side bezel covering part of the screen? If you dont palm it then wouldn't it easily fall off your hand? Its like you can choose to rest your thumb on the screen to hold it or you may drop it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.