Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crotach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Hi folks,

I'm looking to get the new iMac mini and I was wondering if anyone knows whether it's possible to add an SSD yourself and enable the "Apple Fusion" ?

I mean it's just the old Intel SRT behind the scenes, but I don't know if Mac Mini has a BIOS where you can turn it on and configure it.

Also I'm not sure if Apple use an mSATA or SATA drive for the SSD in the Fusion.

If anyone's done it already I'd love to hear about it!

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I mean it's just the old Intel SRT behind the scenes, but I don't know if Mac Mini has a BIOS where you can turn it on and configure it.

No, its not, its an Apple-own tiered storage solution, nothing to do with Intel's caching. Most likely, you'll have to partition the drives in a particular way + edit some of the plists. It is also currently unknown how much of the implementation resides within the firmware (it has to be, at least partially), and how much within the OS itself.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
my guess is yes you can but that you will need 2 mac mini's to do it. one with fusion and a second to attempt to copy it.

it is entirely possible that the 2 drives on a fusion machine have special firmware although the claim is the trick is in the utility program. if the deal is done with the drives having a marker it will be hard to do.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
I'm sure there's a way to do it, just give it some time. I'm sure somebody will come up with a hack "Fusion enabler" script or something. But you can bet it will not be supported by Apple.

MatthewAMEL

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
Orlando, FL
It's not Intel's SRT.

The new hardware comes with a new version of Disk Utility (and ostensibly, Core Storage) that supports Fusion Drive.

Similar to the kernel hack that turned on TRIM support for non-Apple drives.

andy1979

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012

I'm the author of the above link. There's this guy jollyjinx on tumbler that did some nice benchmarking and found that this does indeed seem to behave like a real Fusion Drive. Worth reading, lots of details on how Fusion Drive seems to work under the hood: http://jollyjinx.tumblr.com/post/34638496292/fusion-drive-on-older-macs-yes-since-apple-has

NoisyCat

macrumors member
May 31, 2010
I can confirm it is working on my 2012 base mac mini.

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2012-10-31 a la(s) 16.52.15.png
    Captura de pantalla 2012-10-31 a la(s) 16.52.15.png
    58.2 KB · Views: 177

KyleAwesome

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2009
I believe its also working for me.

FEhcp.png

2.3mini with stock 1tb + Samsung 256gb 830

edit:

RDchZ.jpg

geekbench of 10379

I didnt score so hot on the memory, I'm running 8gb kingston + 2gb stock, I'm going to pull the 2gb and see what happens

Last edited:

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
Hi folks,

I'm looking to get the new iMac mini and I was wondering if anyone knows whether it's possible to add an SSD yourself and enable the "Apple Fusion" ?

Also I'm not sure if Apple use an mSATA or SATA drive for the SSD in the Fusion.

Don't bother

Go SSD and second drive

http://macperformanceguide.com/macmini2012-dual-drives-vs-fusion.html

stellan0r

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
What I am wondering is - How do I "break" a Fusion drive into two separate drives (like the 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD)? For example if I want to replace the small SSD by a larger one at any point in the future, or if I simply want to use both drives as normal ones.

I always only read how to enable Fusion Drive in Terminal, not how to disable it.

alexdd

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
What I am wondering is - How do I "break" a Fusion drive into two separate drives (like the 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD)? For example if I want to replace the small SSD by a larger one at any point in the future, or if I simply want to use both drives as normal ones.

I always only read how to enable Fusion Drive in Terminal, not how to disable it.

One way i found and used (but deletes all of your data) is:
First in Terminal you type:diskutil cs list
and you can see the Logical Volume Group ID lets say
Logical Volume Group 88D531FA-3F12-4D79-8DEC-ED40E89473F9
then you type in terminal:diskutil cs delete Volume Group ID
where Volume Group ID=88D531FA-3F12-4D79-8DEC-ED40E89473F9 in my example so you type:
diskutil cs delete 88D531FA-3F12-4D79-8DEC-ED40E89473F9
There is another way with the command revert which is non-destructive..
See more here http://blog.fosketts.net/2011/08/05/undocumented-corestorage-commands/

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hi folks,

iMac mini? Not tryin' to nitpick, but maybe Apple could do something with that. ;)

Go back a few days on MacRumors and there's an article all about it, linking to someone else who did it and posted all sorts of guides and info on it. It's basically command line trickery that employs "Core Volume" a logical volume technology introduced in OS X 10.7 but remained dormant until OS X 10.8.2.

You'd need to reformat both drives in the process, and using no earlier than a 10.8.2 system/recovery drive/DVD/installer is a must. But it's totally doable and apparently not all that hard or complicated.

cawesjmu

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2004
Richmond, VA
I believe its also working for me.

2.3mini with stock 1tb + Samsung 256gb 830

edit:

geekbench of 10379

I didnt score so hot on the memory, I'm running 8gb kingston + 2gb stock, I'm going to pull the 2gb and see what happens

So you ordered the stock Mac Mini with 1TB spinning drive, opened it up and put in your own SSD. Did you need a special adapter cable to attach it? If so where'd you get it? Link me please? I'm super interested in doing this myself to save money, but want to know all the pitfalls before I jump in with both feet. I was looking at the Ars tech write up about the Fusion Drive and saw their tear down, and the dongle piece that attaches the SSD worries me. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.