Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thiagos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
NYC (Manhattan)
I was just wondering why Apple moved the headphone jack to the bottom of the phone.
At the gym, it makes it impossible to put the phone on the treadmill, when typing a text the headphone is in the way, I have the Bose headphones which have a flat connector, when I try to connect it to the charger, it is in the way.
Why the change and purpose?
I honestly don't like it.

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
I prefer it

It means that the phone sits upside-down in my pocket, so when reaching in to pull it out, it's facing the right way up by the time it reaches the retina-reccomended viewing distance of 12 inches from my face.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I was just wondering why Apple moved the headphone jack to the bottom of the phone.
At the gym, it makes it impossible to put the phone on the treadmill, when typing a text the headphone is in the way, I have the Bose headphones which have a flat connector, when I try to connect it to the charger, it is in the way.

I prefer the jack on the top too !

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France

Internal space seems like a plausible explanation.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I prefer it

It means that the phone sits upside-down in my pocket, so when reaching in to pull it out, it's facing the right way up by the time it reaches the retina-reccomended viewing distance of 12 inches from my face.

I prefer it on the bottom as well for the same reason.

Do you have a measuring stick attached to your head so that you're always holding your iPhone exactly 12" from your face? I do. I'm hardcore.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

Ease of construction, most likely. The lighting connector and headphone jack are now a single assembly component, that together with the mic, speaker and Wifi antenna, interlock into a single module. Makes it easier to put the phone together when you have one part that does multiple jobs, instead of multiple separate parts on the top and bottom. It also takes up less space internally.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me. I hate headphone cables in general, and have used bluetooth headphones since the iPhone 3GS.

Last edited:

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Angle the connector outward? Apple made it on the bottom so when you take out your phone with headphones in, the screen is in the correct orientation. Otherwise, the screen is facing towards you and you need to turn it.

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
I prefer it on the bottom as well for the same reason.

Do you have a measuring stick attached to your head so that you're always holding your iPhone exactly 12" from your face? I do. I'm hardcore.

I too used the stick for several weeks, but much like removing the stabilisers from a bicycle, I am now able to gauge the distance myself quite accurately.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I too used the stick for several weeks, but much like removing the stabilisers from a bicycle, I am now able to gauge the distance myself quite accurately.

I, too, am now able to gauge the distance myself quite accurately, but I still prefer to use the stick. That way people who see me will know that I have a retina-type screen on my phone. The looks of jealousy that I get......

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
I prefer it on top as pretty much every phone on the planet has. I think the number of people who connect to a car stereo far outnumber kids walking around with earbuds and an iphone in their pocket. The jack on the bottom means the phone has to go into a cup holder or wherever you put your phone upside down and it sucks.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
For me the cable always dangled in front of the screen and got in the way. I love that it's on the bottom as well.

Second, my last iPhone had "water damage" from rain falling into the headphone jack. I don't have to worry about that anymore. Apple gave me a really hard time replacing it even though it was the only sensor faintly triggered.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
it's also better that way so when your headphones are plugged in and u want to take a quick picture, the earpod wire won't get in the way

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I prefer it

Me too, but you're probably being sarcastic since we are in agreement.:p

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'm going to again register my preference for the jack on the top. It is voting day after all :) I use a pouch for my iPhone and in my pocket and in the car, the jack on the top works better for me. I now put my phone into the pouch top down and it isn't that big of a deal but I did prefer the headphone jack on the top.

I'm going to save everyone the effort. Good story bro! ( I am referring to myself of course)

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Like others have replied: they changed the location of the jack because I prefer it.

----------

But seriously, I'm sure there were space reasons for the designers, but it actually is more logical to have it in the bottom. If you're listening to the headphones and using the screen, having the cord come out of the bottom keeps the cord from draping down over the screen. Also, when pulling out of a pocket, since the home button is on the bottom, the most logical place to grab the phone is from the bottom. If the jack is on the top, the phone has to be put in a pocket bottom first which makes pulling it out a two step process of pulling out and flipping around so you're holding from the bottom.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US

The change of layout of internal components with the lightning connector is probably the main reason. Also, it brings the iphone into line with the ipod touch, which already had the headphone jack on the bottom.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
It's nice that all the cables come out of one end. It was extremely awkward to place when charging and playing audio at the same time.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Don't have an iPhone 5 yet so not sure if I'd like it after trying it out. In theory I don't like it. Can't stand up phone and use headphones when skyping.

Also, when charging, my charger is in the opposite direction of where my head is so it creates a nice line of cable from charger->phone->head. And I'm not sure how you guys take the phone out of your pocket, mine usually goes in facing upwards and I take it out in a way where I don't have to "flip" it to the right side :S

Bigdawg4

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2012
I prefer it

I prefer it on the bottom as well...makes total sense to me. when its in my pocket it is always top down making it a natural movement to take it out of my pocket ready to use...

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I still have a 4S but the cord constantly dangles in front of the screen when I'm lay down. I'd think I'd prefer it on the bottom.

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
I'm torn on it, it's useful as it means the mic is facing towards me when the phone is in my pocket. That said it makes it a pain to quickly check the time as the phone as it now needs to come out of my coat pocket further.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle

I'm with you. I preferred it on top. Bottom is awkward esp with the lightening cable plugged in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.