Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
I've been using an iPad for near two years, and I'm not bored of it in the slightest. Why? Because its the applications that make a smartphone or tablet enjoyable, not the OS. The OS is for fluidity and function of both apps and phone related usage. Going with another OS might net you a less boring OS experience, but you'll lose the enjoyment in the apps department.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
To those getting bored by iOS: what desktop OS are you using? Mac OS X hasn't changed dramatically since 10.0, Windows was largely the same from Windows 95 to Windows 7, and both of those were around for years. Did you get bored with those?

Mobile operating systems are going the same way. Deal with it.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
People who are saying that the GUI should not be changed they have to revise their words. That is like saying Apple should have never updated the OS 9 GUI to OS X as you see in the pictures, because its all about the apps isn't it?

The iOS was created for the iphone, when it was supposed to be just a cell phone. It was so basic that it did not come with an App Store(which came a FULL YEAR after iphone launch) .

Today, it is used on iPads which are supposed to be the "post-pc" era. Where iPads are starting to replace laptops for some people. Remember this was supposed to be a cell phone OS only. It was not supposed to be running Office Apps(something demanded today)

Things change and I believe they need to revamp the whole OS . They just did for the App store and iTunes store which was a great improvement and breath of fresh air, so why not the iOS?

Simple things to consider:
1)Spotlight search should be in the notifications
2) Switching apps should be from notifications too, why to slides, up and down?
3) Commonly accessed controls should be in the notifications like in Android(wifi,bluetooth)
3)Settings of apps should be accessible from within the app not from the general settings
4) new color scheme?

Mobile devices today, are exactly like PCs in the 90s, if its 3 years or older its almost obsolete because technology are advancing so fast in them(we already have games that won't run on ipad 1, only 2.5 years old).

Remember, Windows 3 was only 5 years old when Windows '95 hit the shelf, so why not have the same change with iOS?

qq39d.jpg

OZPINHEAD

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Emerald City
This is what jail breaking the OS is for.
People who think the OS is to impress.
That way you can rice out the phone.
By putting tacky icons all over the pace. Stupid phrases instead if the carrier rainbow colored battery bar etcetera etcetera.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
iOS is boring. Unfortunately so is Apple. Where they excel in is the physical product. It looks great and feels nice - miles ahead of anyone else. The software just needs to work, they've always been that type of company.

What I think solves this problem (or it has for me) is to jump between Android and iOS (or something else if you fancy). I've been back on iOS for 5 and 6. Can't see myself sticking around for 7 though. I would have gone S3 but the plastic turned me off. iOS is more fun when you're off it for a year or two, then comeback - and the same with Android.

gglittle

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
iOS is boring. Unfortunately so is Apple. Where they excel in is the physical product. It looks great and feels nice - miles ahead of anyone else. The software just needs to work, they've always been that type of company.

What I think solves this problem (or it has for me) is to jump between Android and iOS (or something else if you fancy). I've been back on iOS for 5 and 6. Can't see myself sticking around for 7 though. I would have gone S3 but the plastic turned me off. iOS is more fun when you're off it for a year or two, then comeback - and the same with Android.

Very true, iOS is BBOOORRRIIINNNNGGGGG, compared to the Windows and Android phones I have had. Those phones were exciting and innovative especially so in Minnesota winter's where I could easily use them as hand warmers when navigating since the phones became to hot to handle. Also, it was exciting to figure out when the phone, either Android or Windows, was going to hang requiring the battery to be pulled to reset the phone. Above all the Android and Windows phones were very exciting when traveling and trying to figure out where and when I would have access to a wall socket so I could give the phones a quick charge since I knew that 5 hours off a charger was way to long for either Android or Windows.

Oh for those truly exciting days of Windows and Android ...

:D

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
I agree with some here. iOS is boring but it certainly doesn't need a complete home screen overhaul.

Personally I am fed up with really the lack of customisation. I hate icons (got none on my desktop) and the fact that stupid apps like 'Stocks' and an empty 'newsstand' are always in my sight (even briefly) is driving me bonkers.

It took years for Apple to finally allow customised ring tones and only now we got 'Do not disturb' which Nokia had 10+ years ago with scheduled profiles (until recently I had a Nokia work phone because I had to schedule profiles for on-call scenarios).

Things like that driving me nuts.

This clearly has nothing to do with a required re-design but with the ignorance of Apple thinking we don't need it.

I stuck around since the first iPhone (remember when you had to pay for iOS updates) but I am finally over it.

I sold my iPhone 4S now and finally go Android.

It WILL be a pain to move. Tons of DRMd music needs re-ripping, tons of cash paid for apps etc. but I am looking forward to the N4 next week.

Brazuca

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2003
I agree with some here. iOS is boring but it certainly doesn't need a complete home screen overhaul.

Personally I am fed up with really the lack of customisation. I hate icons (got none on my desktop) and the fact that stupid apps like 'Stocks' and an empty 'newsstand' are always in my sight (even briefly) is driving me bonkers.

It took years for Apple to finally allow customised ring tones and only now we got 'Do not disturb' which Nokia had 10+ years ago with scheduled profiles (until recently I had a Nokia work phone because I had to schedule profiles for on-call scenarios).

Things like that driving me nuts.

This clearly has nothing to do with a required re-design but with the ignorance of Apple thinking we don't need it.

I stuck around since the first iPhone (remember when you had to pay for iOS updates) but I am finally over it.

I sold my iPhone 4S now and finally go Android.

It WILL be a pain to move. Tons of DRMd music needs re-ripping, tons of cash paid for apps etc. but I am looking forward to the N4 next week.

What DRMd music? iTunes hasn't sold DRM for some time now, and it never added drm to ripped songs. I call BS. Also, I've never heard of iOS paid upgrades (only on the touch), IIRC.

And what "redesign" do you suggest Apple do? They are adding features and changing the UI constantly. Adding Siri is a major leap for them, getting you away from tapping and into just telling it what you want to have accomplished. You seem to focus on what you don't like, which is fine, but ignoring all the improvements. I guess your big nitpick is that iOS is still not perfect for you. I'm sure Android won't have anything wrong with it. Good luck!

AlanFord

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Cro
Totally agree with the thread. Ok, first couple of version were nice and refreshing, but iOS 5 and now 6 is way to borring. Expecting ios 7 could be a breaking point of some new inovations and gui, specialy since Ive took control of it.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
What DRMd music? iTunes hasn't sold DRM for some time now, and it never added drm to ripped songs. I call BS. Also, I've never heard of iOS paid upgrades (only on the touch), IIRC.

And what "redesign" do you suggest Apple do? They are adding features and changing the UI constantly. Adding Siri is a major leap for them, getting you away from tapping and into just telling it what you want to have accomplished. You seem to focus on what you don't like, which is fine, but ignoring all the improvements. I guess your big nitpick is that iOS is still not perfect for you. I'm sure Android won't have anything wrong with it. Good luck!

1. Might have been the Touch - Mea Culpa
2. where do I say I want a redesign ? I said I am missing features and don't need a whole home screen redesign - read the post properly and you can't deny the fact that simple features LIKE customised ringtones, took years to come.

I am not ignoring the improvements, they are just not relevant TO ME and if I'd hate iOS that much then I wouldn't have stuck around since version 1. I don't nitpick but some 'basic' functions are missing and if you are happy with the issues I mentioned, then great. Nothing to do with luck. It's freedom of choice - which is why I change my phone and you don't. I don't try to force my opinnion on you, I merely state facts and I am sure Adroid has issues too - if I don't like it either - cool, there are more choices out there.

No need to get all upset about other people' opinions.

Re DRM - like I say - I am around for a while, even when iTunes started selling music and I bought ALL my music I own there so far so I am sure there are a LOT of DRMd albums in my collection - we are talking about 100+GB of legit music since day #1 - do your math.

LearnIIBurn

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
As someone who presses the snooze button several times, I agree. I eventually just turned it off. There should be a "special" timer for a wake-up alarm instead of putting it in all the alarms.

Yeah I'm a weird sleeper. I set my alarm for 2 hours before I have to wake up and I hit the snooze button 12 times in that period. Very weird but thats my habit now haha.

Mr Bigs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Bklyn N.Y
Widgets are cool, but I couldn't use very many of them on my Android devices, because they would slow the phone way down. My screen was bascially 4 icons and 3 widgets. Still I think iOS should add at least a clock or toggle widgets.

I don't seem to have that problem.

jimmyb5374

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
berkshire,U.K.
This :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelv View Post
Widgets are cool, but I couldn't use very many of them on my Android devices, because they would slow the phone way down. My screen was bascially 4 icons and 3 widgets. Still I think iOS should add at least a clock or toggle widgets.

I don't seem to have that problem.

Having come from an sgs3 which was setup to the hilt , and then to an ip4s, i have to say apple are very slightly running scared at losing custom due to the handsets being waay to slow to live multi-task or be customised heavily , so hey, customers just can't do it !

Jailbreaking i haven't tried as i don't fancy losing warranty, but even that from what i have seen is still a way behind android .

I find it kind of scary that jail breakers and custom rom makers have better software that the biggest "innovators" in the world !

I like the ip4s, but it is just soooo dull !

Brazuca

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2003
1. Might have been the Touch - Mea Culpa
2. where do I say I want a redesign ? I said I am missing features and don't need a whole home screen redesign - read the post properly and you can't deny the fact that simple features LIKE customised ringtones, took years to come.

I am not ignoring the improvements, they are just not relevant TO ME and if I'd hate iOS that much then I wouldn't have stuck around since version 1. I don't nitpick but some 'basic' functions are missing and if you are happy with the issues I mentioned, then great. Nothing to do with luck. It's freedom of choice - which is why I change my phone and you don't. I don't try to force my opinnion on you, I merely state facts and I am sure Adroid has issues too - if I don't like it either - cool, there are more choices out there.

No need to get all upset about other people' opinions.

Re DRM - like I say - I am around for a while, even when iTunes started selling music and I bought ALL my music I own there so far so I am sure there are a LOT of DRMd albums in my collection - we are talking about 100+GB of legit music since day #1 - do your math.

Oh, so you don't need to re-rip the songs...ok, then. And remember that it was Apple that forced the music publishers to remove DRM as a concession for allowing them to charge more for songs.

But the rest of your complaints sound like you are upset that iOS has features but didn't get them fast enough. Customized Ringtones? I could do that back in the days with any audio file that was short enough and by changing the extension. Then this all got official. It was always possible.

And Do Not Disturb? You want to spend tons of money on new apps and "re-ripping" because Apple has a feature, but didn't have it some years ago. what?

I'm not "getting upset over other people's opinions". I'm just calling BS on your post. You want something new and different, great! We all crave that. But call it what it is. You are trying to come up with rationalizations when it is a simple desire for something new.

PS: To ease your leaving for Android and saving you some money, buy iTunes Match:

If you download a matched track to a secondary iTunes library, however, you will get whatever version the iTunes Store has matched it with — meaning the 256kbps DRM-free version. Similarly, if you were to delete the track from your original iTunes library, you could re-download the “matched” version in 256kbps AAC format.

Then you can email Cook from your new N4 with all your music and thank him.

Last edited:

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Oh, so you don't need to re-rip the songs...ok, then. And remember that it was Apple that forced the music publishers to remove DRM as a concession for allowing them to charge more for songs.

But the rest of your complaints sound like you are upset that iOS has features but didn't get them fast enough. Customized Ringtones? I could do that back in the days with any audio file that was short enough and by changing the extension. Then this all got official. It was always possible.

And Do Not Disturb? You want to spend tons of money on new apps and "re-ripping" because Apple has a feature, but didn't have it some years ago. what?

I'm not "getting upset over other people's opinions". I'm just calling BS on your post. You want something new and different, great! We all crave that. But call it what it is. You are trying to come up with rationalizations when it is a simple desire for something new.

PS: To ease your leaving for Android and saving you some money, buy iTunes Match:

Then you can email Cook from your new N4 with all your music and thank him.

You can call it BS if you want - I don't give a flying monkeys rear end :)

austinguy23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
It bores me, too. Hopefully the iOS team will start innovating again and the quality will improve now that Forstall is gone.

Actually, what truly bores me is the iPhone's comparatively tiny screen. I confess that I'm envious of the bigger displays out there.

OMN

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
New York, New York
Honestly what more can you ask for with over a billion apps(don’t quote that please), maybe it’s you. The UI can’t change much I know that the classes of tech heads differ here but it’s a little too much to ask for change. You’ll have to take into mind that the simplest of minds(yours truly) have to able to use it other then jailbreaking you maybe shopping around if you are that upset with the current product with that said I feel your pain but I do look forward to an app or two every now and then

Stelv

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
Earth
If by "running" you mean consuming CPU resources... not it doesn't. This just clearly shows you not understanding multitasking in Android.

Android closes apps as it needs CPU power, but it does not do an efficient job because it runs processes on the main thread along with user processes. If you have an Android download the app Elixir and view all the running processes. Also killing apps is not good on Android but ones that aren't written well (some are system processes) will run too aggressively and not shut themselves down properly. Android needs to do a better job at giving the users current process priority over all else, this will not happen unless Android rewrites the existing system, maybe from the ground up.

bbasra

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2012
I'm a Apply Fanboy but hit a dilema with iPhone 5\IOS 6. I fancied a big change. I love the iphone 5 looks but the UI is the same as before.

Consequently, i've gone over to the Samsung S3 Andriod. Love the live widgets and how you can customize the interface to a granular level.

I'm hoping IOS X.X will have a new UI together with the iPhone 6 next year! Until then, i'll enjoy my Plastic Samsung S3 ..... Andriod on an iPhone 5 would suit me nicely lol.

For my iPad, I've installed Barrel. Simple but different :rolleyes:

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Android closes apps as it needs CPU power,

No, no it doesn't. Apps in the background get closed as the kernel requires RAM. Almost all Apps go into a "frozen" state when they are not the active application. In this state they consume memory but ZERO cpu resources.

The only backgrounded Apps which continue to run are those that instruct the kernel that they need to, Eg. a music App keeps playing in the background, or Chrome keeps loading a webpage in the background.

Even these Apps that do stuff which uses CPU resources in the background mostly do it by running a very lightweight service in the background, not the full App.

To repeat, the vast majority of apps do not (and in fact are not coded to) use CPU resources when not the active application.

The only thing you are right about is that this allows poorly coded applications to chew through CPU and battery in the background if the developer specifically codes them too. The upside is that it allows developers much more freedom in what they can have their programs do.

Apple decided not to give developers this flexibility for the most part and does not allow apps to run in the background.

Last edited:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i wish i could put jelly bean on the iPhone 5 and id buy it in an instant.

i understand that iOS seems pretty great if u havent used it before but i got my first iPhone in 2008 and it became kinda stale. its even worse so on the iPad, it doesnt take advantage of the bigger screen at all. how about some widgets for the notification center or allow devs to use the api. the not center looks pathetic o the iPad, not even weather to show

and why why why does apple limit how many apps i can put into one folder? like i dont need 4 folders "games" on my ipad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.