Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pianoblack3

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
Scotland
Are they rushing them out so that they can get it over and done with? Seems like they don't want Job's OS anymore, and want a clean slate!

calisurfboy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I wish Apple would release bigger updates, like they used to, rather than incremental updates. Look no further than the fact that 10.8 came out after 10.7.4, remember the days... Tiger made it all the way to 10.4.11 even after Leopard came out.

I would have a problem with continuous upgrades if the fact each upgrade was a costly manner but, for right now, the upgrades are very affordable. I prefer Mac be on a timeline of continuous progression forward even if it is in small increments than to wait several years for addictions or changes.

I remember a discussion being held a while back. With the purchase of iOS devices, upgrades to the software are free. With it being a post-pc world, many were talking about the fact that the MAC OS system might be going the way of free upgrades in the future.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
So, things we learned today about OS X 10.9:
- It will be able to connect to the internet.

That is all.

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
OSX Grumpy

Di1cV.jpg

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
i think it would be unwise to try making something completely different post-os10.9 solely based on naming numerical conventions. if apple aspires to do something different, it's most certainly not driven by them running out of numbers

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2012
For OSX 10.9 I'd like:

- improve finder file and folder display/management
- unify the behaviour of the 'green button' controls on windows
- improve multi-monitor and spaces (this needs a great deal of attention)
- improve graphics performance/drivers/subsystem by a large 'leap'
- improve the uninstall process for applications
- improve the speed, and how iCloud is integrated by streamlining its usage and making it less 'forcefully known/used' in some of the applications like TextEdit
- remember OSX is a power users OS, and for the love of god don't dumb it down. However, iOS apps and things like notification centre and notes + reminders are useful. Launchpad? Get rid of that crap :p
- in Notification center, I wouldn't mind being able to use that to add widgets to like weather etc. and get rid of the Dashboard completely

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
The problem is that each release is full of bugs, and each release breaks features like 3-finger swiping back in Finder (which sometimes works sometimes doesn't, while it worked all the time in SL), etc… The more frequently they release a new OS X, the more time we have to spend on a buggy system, and the less bugs they can fix until the next release.

I still think Leopard was the best, by the standards at that time. Back then features like Spaces, Time Machine, QuickLook and Stacks would be so awesome, they would really make your computer a lot better. Now you get small features added, but full of bugs and inconsistencies (like notifications, gestures, Mission Control, iCloud, AutoSave, Resume, etc…).

I think that Apple has gone from a very well controlled system with great solid features to a loosely looked-after system with tons of different small features, many that annoy you more than they help, while the old ones stick around with broken aspects and new bugs that never get noticed.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Well, what is left of ios that is truly missing from os ten?

Theres only a few ios things left, since apple had brought dual microphones into their line of machines, i dont think siri should be left out.

But siri is just one thing. The other thing? I think icloud. Truly integrate icloud in the os some how. In a genuinely good way.

Otheriwse, what can they do?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Mac OS X Cougar duh

now all u can install r verified macstore apps and itll make your OS even more secure - isnt it like incredible?

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
For OSX 10.9 I'd like:

- improve finder file and folder display/management
- unify the behaviour of the 'green button' controls on windows
- improve multi-monitor and spaces (this needs a great deal of attention)
- improve graphics performance/drivers/subsystem by a large 'leap'
- improve the uninstall process for applications
- improve the speed, and how iCloud is integrated by streamlining its usage and making it less 'forcefully known/used' in some of the applications like TextEdit
- remember OSX is a power users OS, and for the love of god don't dumb it down. However, iOS apps and things like notification centre and notes + reminders are useful. Launchpad? Get rid of that crap :p
- in Notification center, I wouldn't mind being able to use that to add widgets to like weather etc. and get rid of the Dashboard completely

I started to love launchpad a week ago, after many months considering it useless. It is not indeed, I'm now using it instead of my traditional app folder.
Nice the rest of the list I hope to see a big leap in 3D performance.

Hes Nikke

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2001
I'm French Canadian, so mixing English and French while pronouncing it would kind of sound like: OS sexy (I in French sounds like E in english). :cool:

Thats the great thing about the english language. I can have an E sound, for example niece. Therefore pronouncing OS XI as Oh Sexy, is not a big stretch, and is in fact what I did as soon as I read it. :apple:

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
OS X House Cat.

They've tamed all the complexity and difficulty out by removing things like user accessible filesystems and having multiple apps onscreen at once.

What innovation.

BagehotW1

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
Still hoping for the "colour thief" to be apprehended. Mail and Finder have become rather difficult to navigate since Apple introduced monochromatic icons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.