Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
If it's the last one of its breed before a cross over...

It'll be OS X Liger. Then OS Xi (I like the greek symbol Ξ). XI is the 14th letter of the greek alphabet. OS X will have had a 13 year run, and on year 14 you release OS Ξ. The name would sound like osZEYE. I think it has a catchy ring.

Take the best of everything and integrate, then start with a blank slate.

I suspect OS Ξ will require an ARM processor. That gives them 2 years to get them designed, operational, and deployed in MBP's (or not if they are getting out of the laptop business).

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
It'll be OS X Liger. Then OS Xi (I like the greek symbol Ξ). XI is the 14th letter of the greek alphabet. OS X will have had a 13 year run, and on year 14 you release OS Ξ. The name would sound like osZEYE. I think it has a catchy ring.

Take the best of everything and integrate, then start with a blank slate.

I suspect OS Ξ will require an ARM processor. That gives them 2 years to get them designed, operational, and deployed in MBP's (or not if they are getting out of the laptop business).

OOoo, I like that too, but without the "OS" part. We know it is... :p

Last edited:

Akarin

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2011
Nyon, Switzerland
I want something big. I'm tired of integration with my itoys.

When moving to a faster release cycle, especially for an OS, it's hard to bring something totally different and new. It is more about these little features, tweaks and enhancements built upon the previous version.

Now, if you look back 3 years ago, we had Snow Leopard and today, we have Mountain Lion: it's easier to see the "big" upgrades.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
This is great news knowing that Apple is working on the 10.9.

I'm still on 10.7.4 and thinking about skipping 10.8 and waiting for 10.9. Thoughts?

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
For OSX 10.9 I'd like:

- improve finder file and folder display/management
- unify the behaviour of the 'green button' controls on windows
- improve multi-monitor and spaces (this needs a great deal of attention)
- improve graphics performance/drivers/subsystem by a large 'leap'
- improve the uninstall process for applications
- improve the speed, and how iCloud is integrated by streamlining its usage and making it less 'forcefully known/used' in some of the applications like TextEdit
- remember OSX is a power users OS, and for the love of god don't dumb it down. However, iOS apps and things like notification centre and notes + reminders are useful. Launchpad? Get rid of that crap :p
- in Notification center, I wouldn't mind being able to use that to add widgets to like weather etc. and get rid of the Dashboard completely

I loooove Launchpad. I do not use the dock any more, except for the Finder (I wish they'd put it in there).

Then again, I loooove the Magic Trackpad. With it I'm in multi-touch heaven.

I wish that iOS worked that way, where the rows of icons came up Launchpad-like, and left a clear desktop when I pinch it away..:p

I thought the uninstall process couldn't be simpler, just drag items to the Trash. Did I miss something? (I'm strictly in the consumer camp, though).

I think the Power User stuff will stay there, just not at the forefront and customizable..

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
OS X development has been relegated to a guy locked in a basement. He gets paid in cheese.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Awesome.

But i preferliger, more catchy.

Liger would be appropriate if it includes more iOS integration given that lions and tigers will only mate when forced by being confined together and given no other options for breeding.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I think they may go with another animal. The first test version of OS X was called Kodiak.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
This is great news knowing that Apple is working on the 10.9.

I'm still on 10.7.4 and thinking about skipping 10.8 and waiting for 10.9. Thoughts?

If you have "iToys", move on up. Much better integration.

I however, have both, because I did not want to re-buy Fusion and Parallels, which do not work on ML and I need my Windows, Server, and Linux VMs. I took out the optical drive out of my MBP 17 and added a drive with Lion so I have both. I use Lion exclusively for my VMs/work and ML for the irreplaceable stuff in my iLife....:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.