Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
It's time...

i-can-has-cheezburger.jpg

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
If you're buying new hardware because there's a new OS out, you're insane.

If you design operating system features that require newer and newer hardware for seemingly no reason (power nap, anyone?) then you must be insane :rolleyes:

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
If you're buying new hardware because there's a new OS out, you're insane.

Maybe if you buy a new machine every year, but I assume the original poster was talking about Apple's somewhat aggressive bumping-up of the minimum system requirements. For example, I'm a bit nervous because my late 2008 aluminum MacBook is the minimum supported machine in its series. I'll probably upgrade within a few years anyway, but hopefully Apple continues to support 10.8 with security updates in that time or allows at least another major OS release or two to run on it--because with 6 GB RAM (it can even unofficially support 8) and an SSD, I'm not exactly longing for a new machine. The CPU is fine for me, and I can see graphics being maybe the one limiting factor (though they are again fine for my personal needs--but OS X has a history of being more graphics-hungry than I personally am).

Imaginethe

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2012
UK
So Apple release a new OS/service pack each year charge £20ish and be supported with updates for 2? Microsoft charge around £100 or a bit more for a new operating system they will support for ten years. Good business by Apple.

I vote it will be 10.9 PussyCat

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
What made OS 10.6 so great was that it was advertised out of the gate as being a release to improve performance and work off bugs with minimal new features. And that is exactly what they did. And that is why I haven't moved since 10.6.

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
I'm just hoping they don't drop support for a whole slew of "older" Macs. I'd rather not have to have a Mac built in 2010 or later just to run the latest OS. The trend is irritating to say the least.

MCIowaRulz

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
I want the ability to have Siri on the Mac as well has the ability to change voices. I'm a guy and I like the female voice of Sari but I want her to sound more natural and maybe have a man's voice if people are into that sort of thing

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Which will probably not work with my 2007 MBP :p I didn't upgrade to ML for fear of slowing things down. Guess it's time to think about looking into a new machine.

add a SSD storage device. its like a new machine.

thefizzle657

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2011
How about instead of releasing a 10.x update every year they fix the bugs in the current version to make it more stable? I installed 10.8.2 on a 2011 and it was unusable. Startup and shutdown times increased dramatically and it took forever for any and all applications to load so I had to downgrade to Lion. The way things are going, we'll never see a real stable version of OS X again because not long after the 10.x release is out the door they start working on the next one.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I wish Apple would release bigger updates, like they used to, rather than incremental updates.

why? what practical advantage does that yield?

i like incremental because i get packages of value more often. value is good because it serves the various jobs-to-be-done im tasked with for my work and life.

----------

Are they rushing them out so that they can get it over and done with? Seems like they don't want Job's OS anymore, and want a clean slate!

how do you mean? jobs was part of every OS X release. its very much his OS. as is iOS.

----------

Give us a new look, damnit!

change for change solves no problems. it isnt something Apple, nor Ive, does.

----------

I did not want to re-buy Fusion and Parallels, which do not work on ML and I need my Windows, Server, and Linux VMs. I took out the optical drive out of my MBP 17 and added a drive with Lion so I have both. I use Lion exclusively for my VMs/work and ML for the irreplaceable stuff in my iLife

not sure what youre talking about, but my Fusion VMs work fine in ML.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.