Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inket

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
Oh, yes. You're right. I just checked: Power Nap was enabled July 27th on rMBPs. That's a couple of days after 10.8.0's release.

The 2010 MacBook Air does require 10.8.2 for Power Nap, though. But I don't think that's related.

I have no idea what to think about Wifi thing. Haha. The problem is becoming weirder and weirder.

Junkyman

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Oh, yes. You're right. I just checked: Power Nap was enabled July 27th on rMBPs. That's a couple of days after 10.8.0's release.

The 2010 MacBook Air does require 10.8.2 for Power Nap, though. But I don't think that's related.

I have no idea what to think about Wifi thing. Haha. The problem is becoming weirder and weirder.

I mentioned wifi because the function power nap requires an active wifi connection for it to perform the power nap tasks (such as checking for e-mails etc.). My guess is that this prevents the Mac from going into the regular sleep. However, once the Mac loses an active connection it just goes into regular sleep for lack of ability to perform its tasks.

Make sense? :D

inket

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
Makes sense. You think the bug appears when the rMBP goes into regular sleep after failing Power Nap ?

Junkyman

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Makes sense. You think the bug appears when the rMBP goes into regular sleep after failing Power Nap ?

Exactly. I think enabling power nap only prevents the bug from happening because the Mac does not go into regular sleep when performing power nap.

Hey, you can almost call that a feature. :p xD

ibd

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2008
Just a thought: If this should be related to the 10.8.2 update, which is a software update only, how can it affect performance under windows, which many use for gaming? The EFI has deeper influence on the system's behaviour.

Junkyman

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Just a thought: If this should be related to the 10.8.2 update, which is a software update only, how can it affect performance under windows, which many use for gaming? The EFI has deeper influence on the system's behaviour.

I agree that it seems weird. That's also the reason why the title in this thread suggests that EFI might be the problem. And for a long time I also thought that EFI is the culprit.

However, I did a downgrade to 10.8.1 to test whether that's actually true. I did not downgrade the latest EFI version (which to my knowledge isn't really possible ^^) and could observe that the bug does not occur under 10.8.1. That led me to the conclusion that EFI can be ruled out as the reason this bug exists.

But then again, I can't guarantee that I'm right of course. :p

timmerk

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2008
Junkyman, from what you've said so far (and if 10.8.1 still resolves the problem for you.. does it?), could you try this if you have time?

- Backup "AppleSMC.kext" (found in /System/Library/Extensions/) on your 10.8.1 install
- Upgrade to 10.8.2 and verify the problem is back
- Backup new the AppleSMC.kext in case you want to revert back
- Copy the 10.8.1 AppleSMC.kext over the existing 10.8.2 one
- Restart your Mac

My theory is that this will fix the issue in 10.8.2.

Also, does downgrading to 10.8.1 fix the problem while booted into Windows?

Junkyman

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Junkyman, from what you've said so far (and if 10.8.1 still resolves the problem for you.. does it?), could you try this if you have time?

- Backup "AppleSMC.kext" (found in /System/Library/Extensions/) on your 10.8.1 install
- Upgrade to 10.8.2 and verify the problem is back
- Backup new the AppleSMC.kext in case you want to revert back
- Copy the 10.8.1 AppleSMC.kext over the existing 10.8.2 one
- Restart your Mac

My theory is that this will fix the issue in 10.8.2.

Also, does downgrading to 10.8.1 fix the problem while booted into Windows?

Appreciate your insight. However, I have already updated to 10.8.2 again. Also, I don't have the time right now to go through a downgrade again and do all that. I may try it at a later point.

Yes, the issue is resolved under 10.8.1 for Windows in BootCamp.

Anyone else might wanna pitch in and try that?

timmerk

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2008
If no one wants to pitch in, I could send you the 10.8.1 kext if you'd like which would save you downgrading plus some of the steps above. Just pop that baby in and cross your fingers! :D

Junkyman

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
If no one wants to pitch in, I could send you the 10.8.1 kext if you'd like which would save you downgrading plus some of the steps above. Just pop that baby in and cross your fingers! :D

Why wouldn't you try it with your machine? :D

timmerk

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2008
I will once I have a Retina! I'm just trying to get a resolution to this before I get it. It's most disappointing buying a defective $3k machine, as I'm sure you know.

Junkyman

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
I will once I have a Retina! I'm just trying to get a resolution to this before I get it. It's most disappointing buying a defective $3k machine, as I'm sure you know.

I can relate. ;-)

You'll get yours tomorrow, right? I would suggest you check out your resolution and report back what you can find out! We would really appreciate that. ;-)

Have a good night! :D

timmerk

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2008
It's EFI related.

It seems to be EFI related, but the 10.8.1 downgrade seems to fix it both in Windows and OS X. I suspect this happens because the AppleSMC.kext is setting EFI parameters which causes the problem in Windows.

timmerk

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2008
Did 10.8.2 update the file? Did you observe the bug under 10.8.2?

Is the file a "hidden file"? I couldn't find it in the folder you directed us to. ^^

Yes, 10.8.2 updated that kext. The /System/Library/Extensions/ directory is hidden, but you should be able to get there by using the "Go to Folder" menu item in the Finder's Go menu.

I haven't gotten my Retina yet, but I will try once I get it (should be today or tomorrow).

Junkyman

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Yes, 10.8.2 updated that kext. The /System/Library/Extensions/ directory is hidden, but you should be able to get there by using the "Go to Folder" menu item in the Finder's Go menu.

I haven't gotten my Retina yet, but I will try once I get it (should be today or tomorrow).

I was able to locate that folder (system library, correct?). However, the folder does not contain any files.

Nevermind, I found the file.

Were you able to reproduce the bug under 10.8.2? Have you eliminated the bug by overwriting the file?

Last edited:

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Be careful with replacing that AppleSMC.kext. I replaced mine and set the permissions properly - I was stuck in a permanent kernel panic / boot loop. I had to boot into recovery mode to restore the backup of that kext.

timmerk

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2008
Ok, my Retina finally comes today. How can I tell if it's going slow or not if it already comes with 10.8.2? I have no frame of reference since I'm upgrading from a 2006 Mac.

ibd

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2008
Search for 3dmark scores (3dmark 06/vantage/11) in this forum. Also check the windows experience index. These are free ways to see if your rMBP performs as it should. If you have any games, run these! You will find tons of fps stats here and on youtube to compare to.

Junkyman

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Ok, my Retina finally comes today. How can I tell if it's going slow or not if it already comes with 10.8.2? I have no frame of reference since I'm upgrading from a 2006 Mac.

Wait a minute. What AppleSMC.kext did you upload if you hadn't have your retina by then? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.