Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
A new OS every year is just ridiculous. Pure ploy to get people to buy new hardware.

+1 to you being insane -- nobody expects you to buy new hardware every OS release. one of the valuable things about Macs is how many years of service they get...my 2006 imac is still in use, running ML.

----------

If you design operating system features that require newer and newer hardware for seemingly no reason (power nap, anyone?) then you must be insane :rolleyes:

unless youre an electrical engineer on the apple hardware team, i doubt youre qualified to say why or why not hardware-related features like powernap should function on given hardware.

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
Mac OS X 10.9 Sea Lion

41044eae46a69fc32.jpg

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
The problem is that each release is full of bugs, and each release breaks features like 3-finger swiping back in Finder (which sometimes works sometimes doesn't, while it worked all the time in SL), etc… The more frequently they release a new OS X, the more time we have to spend on a buggy system, and the less bugs they can fix until the next release.

I still think Leopard was the best, by the standards at that time. Back then features like Spaces, Time Machine, QuickLook and Stacks would be so awesome, they would really make your computer a lot better. Now you get small features added, but full of bugs and inconsistencies (like notifications, gestures, Mission Control, iCloud, AutoSave, Resume, etc…).

I think that Apple has gone from a very well controlled system with great solid features to a loosely looked-after system with tons of different small features, many that annoy you more than they help, while the old ones stick around with broken aspects and new bugs that never get noticed.

Very well said!

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
OS X + I OS = OS XI.
We will see a unified OS XI, done!

I doubt it. OS X and iOS are for completely different purposes. Why would Apple waste screen space with a drop-down menu on iOS? Why get rid of the dock for rows of icons on the desktop in OS X? The two will continue to share features with each other, but I doubt there will be a true unified OS unless computing somehow moves totally to mobile/touch devices. I have read some reviews of Windows 8 on Surface, and it's not exactly a polished thing.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Nice to know....

but still I am not believing in yearly OS updates. Seems disrupting to me. And about that, 10.9 how will be named? Aquatic Cat, Aerial Cat, Thundercat?:):apple:

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I love the idea that people at Apple are just sitting at their desks wasting time reading MacRumours when they should be working, just like me!

thleeal

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
I'm more interested to see if they go to OSX 10.10 or will they then jump to a new naming system entirely for their operating system

10.10?

dude... thats 10.1 been there. i think this is the last cat and osx of its type...

bring on mac Direct 1.1 implanted directly in your brain.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
that you seem them as toys and not tools is your first problem. i suspect you will eternally be disappointed -- yet vocal.

My iPad and iPhone are primarily communication and media consumption devices. My Mac is used primarily used for work, video editing, word processing, and picture editing.

Until it is feasible and convenient to do all of my work stuff on a tablet or phone, they will remain as toys.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
"But hits identified as coming from Apple's own networks carry a much greater likelihood of being legitimate,"

This +1

Who's to say Apple isn't faking this themselves ?

This would then conclude this would article be false .....

I mean, to "play it safe" and not be opening anything up to suspicion... I would have not done this till it was time :)

Opps... Another one slipped out the door.

Apple has a reputation for "dropping breadcrumb" ..... Is it really that hard to keep it secret ? I would say.... no.. its easy. Just don't drop them ....

(but them we wouldn't have sites like MacRumors, now would we :) )

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
I have heard this as well. It may be a move that is made in concert with restricting all application installs to the App Store.

I look forward to Jony I've and his new UI.

:apple:

Unless Apple intends for applications like Adobe CS6, Final Cut, etc. to stop working over night, this is not happening. Many pro users depend on these to make a living.

And I doubt Jony Ive and his new UI will see light next year. Maybe the year after.

----------

"But hits identified as coming from Apple's own networks carry a much greater likelihood of being legitimate,"

This +1

Who's to say Apple isn't faking this themselves ?

This would then conclude this would article be false .....

I mean, to "play it safe" and not be opening anything up to suspicion... I would have not done this till it was time :)

Opps... Another one slipped out the door.

Apple has a reputation for "dropping breadcrumb" ..... Is it really that hard to keep it secret ? I would say.... no.. its easy. Just don't drop them ....

I doubt Apple is faking this. OSX 10.8 was showing up on server logs this time last year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.