Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Is it a good deal to change my iPad 3 of 32GB for a 16GB iPhone 5?

The iphone 5 is new and seal in the box

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If you don't use your iPad and want the phone then why not? It's not really a good deal because the guy probably paid $200 for it, but to each their own. Is it under contract?

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
If you don't use your iPad and want the phone then why not? It's not really a good deal because the guy probably paid $200 for it, but to each their own. Is it under contract?

No is not under contract... He got two iphone 5 and he is selling one

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Is it a good deal to change my iPad 3 of 32GB for a 16GB iPhone 5?
Subjective matter. Supply your needs/wants if you actually want feedback. Otherwise compare the features and specs and choose whatever suits you best. Questions like this don't have one-size-fits-all answers no matter which two devices are in question.

It's obviously not a good deal if you need/want an iPad. Give us some details. The better your information the better the responses you'll get. Don't just assume that everyone else shares your needs/wants/budget/priorities/preferences.

Keep in mind that "good" is always highly subjective any time you use the word. Make sure you are always very clear with what you mean by "good" or else the word is fairly meaningless as good can and does vary from person to person.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Subjective matter. Supply your needs/wants if you actually want feedback. Otherwise compare the features and specs and choose whatever suits you best. Questions like this don't have one-size-fits-all answers no matter which two devices are in question.

It's obviously not a good deal if you need/want an iPad. Give us some details. The better your information the better the responses you'll get. Don't just assume that everyone else shares your needs/wants/budget/priorities/preferences.

Keep in mind that "good" is always highly subjective any time you use the word. Make sure you are always very clear with what you mean by "good" or else the word is fairly meaningless as good can and does vary from person to person.

Hello,

well... let me give more details about my situation. I bought an iPad 3 a few months ago for my business (graphic design). I'm very happy with the iPad 3. Works great. I also would like to get an iPhone 5 but don't have the money to buy one from ebay or at an ATT Store. I can't have an upgrade since my ATT contract is just starting. I have an iPhone 4S at this moment so I figure that I can change the iPad 3 for the iPhone 5 and sell my iPhone 4 to later on get a new iPad 4 or a Mini. That's a short story of what's going on.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
OP, it doesn't sound like a terrible deal. I sold a less-than-one week old AT&T iPhone 5 16GB on eBay for $850 a few weeks ago, so if you can get one sealed for an even trade, I think that's a stellar deal. Not to mention that the iPad 3 value has/is depreciating, is used, and is not the cellular version (I assume?), I would be very happy with this trade. Additionally, you could sell your iPhone 4S for a decent price and afford another iPad, a 4th gen or a mini or a 3rd gen.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
You could sell the 4S and buy an iPad Mini without being out of pocket! Then you will have an iPhone 5 plus a new Mini. Ditch the iPad 3 while you can! I was in the exact same situation. Bought a 5 and sold my iPad 3 to help pay for it, then sold the 4S for a great price and bought a iPad Mini, with cash left over for beer! I don't miss the iPad 3 they way I feared I might. Two devices with diamond cut edges look better than the other two...;P

Last edited:

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
I think is better if I sell the ipad 3 and use that money to buy a new iphone 5 from att

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
I would do it!. Who cares if the guy paid 200 or 50 for it, an iPhone 5 16gb is worth 650 new but right now is going for $800 and above because of the shortage of supply. I just sold my 6 week old iPhone 5 16gb AT&T on the bay for the $800!. I had an iPad 3 and sold it because I found myself always reaching for my iPhone when I needed to look something up. It's just a lot easier. Good luck!

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Hell yeah it's a good deal, you're coming out way on top in this situation. Apple sells refurbed iPad 3s for only $379 now. A new and sealed iPhone 5 costs over $700 after tax and in some places people are still paying around $800 for them on Craigslist.

If you wanted you could trade for his iPhone 5 and then sell the iPhone 5 to get another iPad 3 plus have almost $300 in extra cash left over.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Good deal. The ipad 3 32GB is not worth as much as an iphone 5 no matter what size. With the ipad 4 out, I wouldn't offer anymore than $400 for a perfect ipad 3.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
You can still sell a new ipad 3 for $525
No way, I'll sell mine in a heartbeat for 525 and buy the iPad 4 just to get rid of that 30pin cable completely.

That's a great trade, your iPad 3 for a new iPhone 5. You can then sell your 4s and fund buying another iPad 3. Mint condition 4s with box and receipt can sell for 400 easily. I sold a 16gb refurb 4s that I received from apple as replacement for $435 after I bought the 5.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Well... there is this new guy that will trade his new iphone 5/16GB for mi new ipad 3/32gb and $50... is this a good deal for me?

Last edited:

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
It's too late. He probably sold it, since you can't make a decision. Do you want the iPhone 5 or not?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.