Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvrmstrng

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2006
Which is the truly unlimited AT&T data plan? Doesn't AT&T just throttle you after 3 or 5gb depending if you're on 3G or LTE?

Not sure about the $60 tmobile plan. When I spoke to a tmobile rep in store while playing with the Note II, she said if I purchased my own phone (nexus 4) to use on tmobiles network, it would cost $70 for 500 minutes with unlimited text and data (no throttling).

If I purchased a subsidized phone through them, same plan costs $20 more for the first $20 months of your 2 year contract to make up the cost of the phone. (Note II for example)

If I were to use the Nexus 4 on any carrier, I choose tmobile. Cheaper plans and faster Hspa+. It's only because I have "unlimited" data and excellent LTE is why I'm sticking with AT&T.

I have been paying for unlimited data since 2009 and when they moved to a tiered plan with throttling I thought I was exempt. I have no idea how I would ever check though I think I rarely if ever use more than 5GB of data.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I have been paying for unlimited data since 2009 and when they moved to a tiered plan with throttling I thought I was exempt. I have no idea how I would ever check though I think I rarely if ever use more than 5GB of data.

From what I understand, we all could be throttled (I've had unlimited data since 2008) but just because you do go over doesn't mean AT&T will throttle. Depends on how congested your area is I think.

I plan on keeping my unlimited data.. No reason to give it up since AT&T charges new customers the same price for capped data.

dvrmstrng

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2006
From what I understand, we all could be throttled (I've had unlimited data since 2008) but just because you do go over doesn't mean AT&T will throttle. Depends on how congested your area is I think.

I plan on keeping my unlimited data.. No reason to give it up since AT&T charges new customers the same price for capped data.

Yup...I think im jumping on the same boat as you and going for the Note II. Seems like there isn't a single negative other than its physical size which most people who take the dive end up having no issue with.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
Yup...I think im jumping on the same boat as you and going for the Note II. Seems like there isn't a single negative other than its physical size which most people who take the dive end up having no issue with.

There are generally three things that bug people: 1.) Size like you noted above; 2.) Touchwiz (Some people like it, some people hate it); and 3.) Slow updates. For example, the GS3 hasn't gotten it's Jellybean update (sans Sprint). Just wanted to put it out there. Not detracting from the beauty of the GS3. It's a great piece of Kit. That's the beauty of Android, there is a choice.

Side Note: There is a 4th detractor if you get the Note on Verizon and once you look at it, you will know what I mean ;) It's hard to miss.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
There are generally three things that bug people: 1.) Size like you noted above; 2.) Touchwiz (Some people like it, some people hate it); and 3.) Slow updates. For example, the GS3 hasn't gotten it's Jellybean update (sans Sprint). Just wanted to put it out there. Not detracting from the beauty of the GS3. It's a great piece of Kit. That's the beauty of Android, there is a choice.

Side Note: There is a 4th detractor if you get the Note on Verizon and once you look at it, you will know what I mean ;) It's hard to miss.

1. Seems a lot of people who are concerned with the size of the Note are basing it off photos or side by side comparisons with an iPhone. A lot to people who go into the store to play with one have mentioned its smaller than they thought and actually comfortable to hold.

2. Maybe coming from iOS I don't know any better but haven't had any issues when navigating through touch wiz.

3. I always jailbreak my iPhones so immediate updates were never an option for me. I actually enjoyed iPhone users updating right away and then complain about battery life. lol

4. Yes. UGLY!

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
1. Seems a lot of people who are concerned with the size of the Note are basing it off photos or side by side comparisons with an iPhone. A lot to people who go into the store to play with one have mentioned its smaller than they thought and actually comfortable to hold.

2. Maybe coming from iOS I don't know any better but haven't had any issues when navigating through touch wiz.

3. I always jailbreak my iPhones so immediate updates were never an option for me. I actually enjoyed iPhone users updating right away and then complain about battery life. lol

4. Yes. UGLY!

1.) Indeed. I'm actually not basing this thought off of the pictures. I use a Galaxy Note (not the II but the I) as my daily driver, so I can attest to how big it is. I've used it for two months day in and day out and I have concluded it's a bit big for me and the reason I'm moving to a Nexus 4.

2.) That's good. Touchwiz is hit or miss depending on who uses it. I actually don't mind it, but I know that some do.

3.) You can always root and use a custom ROM too. That's what I've done. I've got 4.1.2 on my Note even before Samsung released the official. And it's running smooth to thanks to dedicated developers.

4.) Yeah... I don't think I need to say anything about that other than STOP IT VERIZON!

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
I'm stuck between choosing galaxyS3 or nexus4.
Would really appreciate some advice as this will be my first android phone.

Last edited:

flawlessvictory

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
You don't think they're trying to reach a larger market than just developers? I think there's no clearer sign than before that that's their new goal. I'm sure they want to get the device into developers' hands too, but with the establishment of the Play Store, with the Nexus branding across all three devices (no longer just says "Google" on the back...), with the price point and new premium unibody enclosure, I think they're trying to reach a larger, more average-consumer market.

When I hear the term "developer's phone" the thing that comes to mind is a world phone, with a simple enclosure, a great internal design, and most of the current technologies. And while Android 4.2 looks pretty innovative, I can't help but wonder what Google actually designed in the Nexus 4? And where did the innovation go?

I'm a fan of the Nexus line, but aside from the curved sides, chamfered edges, omission of LTE, and addition of wireless charging the Nexus 4 is just a restyled Optimus G.

I for one would love to see an original Google design, which is why a Motorola Nexus phone would be a step in the right direction. By going with LG, the Nexus 4 is visually and physically more appealing. It is a sleeker design, which is another way that Google can capture audiences outside of developers.

A "developer's phone" doesn't need to be sleek. If it can be lighter, more durable, and more cost efficient as a plastic phone (similar to the Galaxy Nexus), then more thought should go into current technologies such as LTE and battery (so far there are mixed reviews and it doesn't even include this battery draining technology). Looks are objective, but the selling point of a Nexus 4 is in its price and the pure Android experience.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011

Same here - although I think I settle for the N4 - simply because it is "cleaner" to begin with (no pre-installed nonsense) and a lot cheaper as google is substitizing it. GS3 feels like cheap plastic whereas the N4 is glass. Another issue are updates - the N4 would get updates as soon as google releases them - the GS3 depends on operator / Samsung to approve / release them - GS3 user wait already for ages to get the new JB update ...

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Same here - although I think I settle for the N4 - simply because it is "cleaner" to begin with (no pre-installed nonsense) and a lot cheaper as google is substitizing it. GS3 feels like cheap plastic whereas the N4 is glass. Another issue are updates - the N4 would get updates as soon as google releases them - the GS3 depends on operator / Samsung to approve / release them - GS3 user wait already for ages to get the new JB update ...

Thread i made regarding the same, check out th comments:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1479330/

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA

If you're okay with 16gb of space and hspa+, get the Nexus 4. If you want expandable storage and LTE, consider the GS3.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
If you're okay with 16gb of space and hspa+, get the Nexus 4. If you want expandable storage and LTE, consider the GS3.

Yup that's basically what it comes down to. Choices.

Of course when key Lime Pie comes, one doesn't get to complain if the S3 doesn't get it right away. ;)

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007

Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen this review yet. There seems to be a common theme to these reviews. They think no LTE in the US at least is a deal breaker. Everything thing else is good to go. Stock android is great, no contract is great, fast updates are great.

LTE is not a deal breaker for me but I still kind of want it. I am also starting to lean towards the bigger screen of the Note II since I do all of my browsing on my phone. Also, the amazing battery life is starting to appeal to me too. Touchwiz is ok. I like it much more than sense. I could always use a launcher to get the stock feel and still get the extra features that Samsung adds over stock android. Another huge thing for me personally is insurance. I love having the peace of mind that I can break my phone 30 times and not pay any more than $9.99 a month.

This isn't the Note II thread but the thoughts just kept flowing ;-) I am going to use them both in the T Mobile store next week and then make my decision.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
I apologise for my laziness to check the reviews but how does the performance match up to the galaxy S3 ?
Thanks.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Another review:

Poor camera and poor battery life.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/6048/lg-google-nexus-4-review-jelly-bean

Put to moderately heavy use and you'll find that the battery drains quickly, thanks mostly to that large display. Typically we'd find that on a busy day, we'd need to be charging the Nexus 4 in the afternoon to then make it safely into the evening.

Again, pre-released software. And again, iPhone 4S went through the same thing which required multiple updates to fix, all of which came post-release: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2436...tery_troubles_now_joined_by_new_problems.html

But love the 4.5 / 5 stars they gave the Nexus 4. Thanks for sharing. :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Another review:

Poor camera and poor battery life.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/6048/lg-google-nexus-4-review-jelly-bean

Put to moderately heavy use and you'll find that the battery drains quickly, thanks mostly to that large display. Typically we'd find that on a busy day, we'd need to be charging the Nexus 4 in the afternoon to then make it safely into the evening.
Excellent. I hope this convinces even more people to not buy it, so mine arrives sooner.

Unfortunately, they mostly praised it, darn it.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Again, pre-released software. And again, iPhone 4S went through the same thing which required multiple updates to fix, all of which came post-release: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2436...tery_troubles_now_joined_by_new_problems.html

Is the LG Optimus G also running pre-release software?

Cause the Nexus 4 battery life results seems to be aligned with the poor battery life of the LG Optimus G.

Still making up excuses for the poor battery life.

----------

Excellent. I hope this convinces even more people to not buy it, so mine arrives sooner.

Unfortunately, they mostly praised it, darn it.

No doubt some would still buy it even if the Nexus 4 has a 2 hour battery life on web browsing.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Is the LG Optimus G also running pre-release software?

Cause the Nexus 4 battery life results seems to be aligned with the poor battery life of the LG Optimus G.

Still making up excuses for the poor battery life.

Please point to where I am not using facts. Please. Here's what I wrote in case you forgot:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.