Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renzatic

Suspended
We're going back quite a few years. I think it was early 1990's. I'm sure Apple has a ton of patents relating to handwriting with a stylus. That was a big thing back in the day. I'm old enough to remember, unfortunately. ;)

Same here, but only just. I was 10 in 1990, so it doesn't have quite the same sting for me. :p

Thing is, there have been so many advances in styluses (stylii?) and handwriting recognition since then, it makes me wonder why Apple decided to dust off and break out their old Newton patents now.

...well, besides the obvious answer, anyway.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I guess you've never heard of the "Newton"?

Just for your info:

The first electronic handwriting tablet was the Telautograph, patented by Elisha Gray in 1888

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_tablet

So please don't come on here proclaiming Apple 'invented' the stylus. The Newton I think was launched around 1993, I'm pretty sure electronic pens have been used for a LOT longer.

Anyway this addition seems to imply it's related to software and the stylus?

Last edited:

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Actually reading more into this:

Andrew Liao, an Apple attorney, told Grewal today that the Galaxy Nexus is the only phone with Jelly Bean that Apple seeks to add to the patent complaint. Liao also said Apple wants to add 17 devices that could use a stylus even though the products don’t ship with a stylus.

This is a blatant direct attack at Google! NOT Samsung, the Galaxy Nexus has the totally untouched straight from Google Android, therefore NO modifications are applied to it what so ever, so this is a blatant direct claim that Android breaches Apples software patents.....

Now this is going to be worth watching, cause unless someone can show me how Jellybean copies Apple? Then it's utter BS.

If this were true then Apple would just love to add as many jellybean based devices as they could. There must be something fundamentally different with the Galaxy Nexus, what it is I do not know but if they could add more products and companies to this lawsuit they wouldn't flinch.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I guess you've never heard of the "Newton"?

That's not my point. View the video above. Apple has no plans whatsoever to implement the use of a stylus in their current or future products. It is a technology that they bash themselves and effectively have abandoned. Now they want to sue Samsung for implementing it? Come the eff on. This is like throwing out an old CRT TV into the garbage, having someone pick it out of your garbage, then pressing charges against that garbage picker for burglary. Pitiful!

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
Apple has no plans whatsoever to implement the use of a stylus in their current or future products. It is a technology that they bash themselves and effectively have abandoned.

They did rule out smaller iPads too.......

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Just for your info:

The first electronic handwriting tablet was the Telautograph, patented by Elisha Gray in 1888

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_tablet

So please don't come on here proclaiming Apple 'invented' the stylus.

Unfortunately, Elisha's patent is now public domain. Obviously Apple didn't invent the stylus. They did as far as I know, invent the technology to translate handwriting with a stylus into editable digital text. I find it quite amusing that so many people are upset with Apple legal. Apple is a big company and they can walk and chew gum at the same time. Apple can make new and better products and at the same time the legal dept. can do it's legal thing. If you don't like Apples legal dept. and it bothers you so much, then I would suggest you move on. Although every company's legal is going to jump if they think they can make some big money. ;)

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
That's not my point. View the video above. Apple has no plans whatsoever to implement the use of a stylus in their current or future products. It is a technology that they bash themselves and effectively have abandoned. Now they want to sue Samsung for implementing it? Come the eff on. This is like throwing out an old CRT TV into the garbage, having someone pick it out of your garbage, then pressing charges against that garbage picker for burglary. Pitiful!

X2. I mean I thought the last ones were terrible lawsuits too but at least they dealt with current technology... this one is just beyond silly.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
If this were true then Apple would just love to add as many jellybean based devices as they could. There must be something fundamentally different with the Galaxy Nexus, what it is I do not know but if they could add more products and companies to this lawsuit they wouldn't flinch.

But their ISN'T! That's the entire point of a Nexus device, it's a totally unmolested OS.
Looking at other articles it appears it's to do with Siri, apparently the Nexus has Siri like search features? Which is even more funny when you consider Siri is still Beta I think:

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...urt-lifts-ban-on-samsung-galaxy-nexus-1103770

In a new development, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit decided on Thursday to permanently reverse a California court's previous decision to grant Apple a preliminary injunction on Samsung's Galaxy Nexus smartphone.
The injunction, which was hard-won by Apple, prevented the phone from being sold in the U.S., but the federal appeals court's panel of judges determined that the California court "abused its discretion" in granting the ban.

At the time, Koh determined that mounting pre-trial evidence against Samsung, in particular related to Apple patents concerning Siri-like search features, justified the injunction.
"Although some consumers may be disappointed that they cannot purchase the Galaxy Nexus, the Galaxy Nexus, as Samsung itself has repeatedly insisted, is not Samsung's only smartphone product on the market," Koh wrote in a July 5 ruling.

Koh obviously totally not understanding the differences between a Nexus device and other Samsung Android handsets.

Here is a Nexus review:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407557,00.asp

The unlocked Samsung Galaxy Nexus is the only way to get pure, unadulterated Jelly Bean (Android 4.1), and it's an unusually good deal for a smartphone that doesn't come with a specific carrier attachment.

So despite the original ruling being overturned by the appeals court, Apple are going after i guess the same patent for another ban?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
wow. you just aren't getting it, are you? Under U.S. patent law, if you don't "actively" defend your patent, you lose it. Apple MUST file lawsuits against infringing products in order to hold on to their patents.

There is no such provision in U.S. Patent law. You're thinking about Trademark law, which is not the issue here.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Unfortunately, Elisha's patent is now public domain. Obviously Apple didn't invent the stylus. They did as far as I know, invent the technology to translate handwriting with a stylus into editable digital text. I find it quite amusing that so many people are upset with Apple legal. Apple is a big company and they can walk and chew gum at the same time. Apple can make new and better products and at the same time the legal dept. can do it's legal thing. If you don't like Apples legal dept. and it bothers you so much, then I would suggest you move on. Although every company's legal is going to jump if they think they can make some big money. ;)

Do you have any proof to back up your claim of Apple's patent for it's invention then? You cannot come into the argument, make such a bold comment, then fail to back it up with hard evidence.
And this is not a simple choice is it? What if I lived in America and wanted to buy the Note 10.1 but Apple had it banned whilst some bogus trial was going through? Not so easy to 'move on' then is it?

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
"We're going to use the best pointing device in the world. We're gonna use the one we're all born with"...

...cept for flipper babies.

Don't worry, Apple has them covered to:

Go to Settings->Accessibility->FlipperTouch (slide to on position).

----------

Can you (Macrumors) just creat a new tab for Lawsuits?

Just a new tab? How about its own website.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004

You're hilarious...your analogy about the CRT in the garbage has no intrinsic logic and doesn't really pertain to anything. Were talking about "Intellectual Property" something with a high dollar value, not trash. :rolleyes: Why people get so ticked about standard business practices is beyond comprehension. I'm curious as to why Apple suing Samsung is so upsetting to you. Be specific.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
lol Apple is really showing off their creative side in all categories! I would hate to battle Apple in court they can pull a win out of nowhere when they put their creativity to it.

Anyway. Go Apple!

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Apple probably feel as bored by all this as anyone, but that doesn't mean they should just give up because people are bored hearing about it.

People can say 'just innovate, stop suing people' but there is no point innovating if you can't defend your innovations when others steal those innovations.

It's like saying 'stop spending money on securing your house, that's boring, just buy more stuff to put in your house. If you buy enough nice stuff for your house, it doesn't matter if you keep getting robbed!'. That's not a good plan.

It's like your old bicycle you have in the garage. You haven't rode in years, but does that make it any less your bike? If the next door neighbor just came and moved it to his garage while you were at work would be happy about it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.