Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeruoc

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
@owc grant. Can you shed any light on when I might get a working drive? Still very unhappy that I was sent a DOA drive.

mikeruoc

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
Just to update. So I got my second OWC drive today. It was beyond messed up. See the below picture. At this stage I am done with OWC and they are having some kind of OC problem.

Attachments

• IMG_1387.jpg
    IMG_1387.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2,850

jbzcar

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
Just to update. So I got my second OWC drive today. It was beyond messed up. See the below picture. At this stage I am done with OWC and they are having some kind of OC problem.

WTF??

Are you supposed to break off the end or something, lol? Wow. Never have been impressed with OWC, but this seals the deal. :rolleyes:

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009

That is very unfortunate. What other options are out there since OWC doesn't seem like a viable option. :mad:

mikeruoc

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
Anyone know of a place that sells an Apple / Samsung drive that is 250gb in size for a 2012 Air? I can't seem to find anybody that selling those. I see the runcore is also available I may give that a shot.

rpg51

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012
Might try Small Dog in Vermont.

I receive my new iMac with turnkey SSD upgrade from OWC today. I have my fingers crossed. More later.

Burke82

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
I took a chance with yourmacstore.com, purchasing a 512gb ssd for the MBA2012. Couldn't be happier. It is definitely OEM parts, which I have no idea how they get. Fast shipping too. Took about 2 days to the East Coast (shipped from Oregon or nearby). Only thing that upset me was I cracked the little tab in the center of the battery that keeps the panel secure, not their fault though.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
The non-fit aspect of the Aura Pro in your 2012 MBA was an isolated experience...we honestly have not had other reports of such.

Lastly, on the performance aspect, we can only point to what others like The SSD Review have found in that the Aura Pro is the fastest SSD available for this machine. As much as we can claim such, we suggest the independent reviewers' unbiased take on our products have the most weight.

Except you now have other reports that your blade doesn't fit, right here in this thread.

The performance looks good on your products with compressible data only. I can't imagine ever considering one of your upgrades until you ditch the Sandforce controller.

Kafka

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
I took a chance with yourmacstore.com, purchasing a 512gb ssd for the MBA2012. Couldn't be happier. It is definitely OEM parts, which I have no idea how they get. Fast shipping too. Took about 2 days to the East Coast (shipped from Oregon or nearby). Only thing that upset me was I cracked the little tab in the center of the battery that keeps the panel secure, not their fault though.

Have you done some speed tests?

OWC Nick

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2010
Woodstock, IL
First of all...my apologies for not replying. I believed that I had automatic notifications on like I had in past posts, but in checking, somehow that option was negated. Honestly, thought issue/thread a done issue and no more action to take.

Obviously, I was wrong. :)

On the fit aspect of this issue, the SATA connector has an extension on it that allows us to program the module. This extension is supposed to be removed by us here and unfortunately you received one that wasn't.

This can be done by you in the field OR you can send the module to us. We can take care of it for you with no shipping costs.

Pls advise how you would like to proceed and I'll advise the appropriate team members here.

And note...really and truly, for the fastest action, coming to any forum is far less effective than reaching out to us directly. Why do you think we offer 24/7 support except on national holidays? To serve you all in the most timely manner...and avoid delays and frustration like created in this instance! ;)

Thanks!

OWC Grant
Marketing Manager

mikeruoc

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
I didn't come here first. I called you guys. OWC. Customer service was fine. Told him it was not seen by the computer and he RMAed it. Second call for the second drive I sent the tech the picture. He said he never saw anything like it (which from what you are saying it is how you program the drives so he did not know) and refunded my money via RMA. Sent the drive back yesterday.

This is the second bad drive I have gotten from you. I am done with OWC. I will get an Apple part or Runcore. Invest in some QC. Just eyeballing the part would have stopped that one from going out.

First of all...my apologies for not replying. I believed that I had automatic notifications on like I had in past posts, but in checking, somehow that option was negated. Honestly, thought issue/thread a done issue and no more action to take.

Obviously, I was wrong. :)

On the fit aspect of this issue, the SATA connector has an extension on it that allows us to program the module. This extension is supposed to be removed by us here and unfortunately you received one that wasn't.

This can be done by you in the field OR you can send the module to us. We can take care of it for you with no shipping costs.

Pls advise how you would like to proceed and I'll advise the appropriate team members here.

And note...really and truly, for the fastest action, coming to any forum is far less effective than reaching out to us directly. Why do you think we offer 24/7 support except on national holidays? To serve you all in the most timely manner...and avoid delays and frustration like created in this instance! ;)

Thanks!

OWC Grant
Marketing Manager

Reactions: blake2

Burke82

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
Have you done some speed tests?

I don't want to hijack the thread but here you go. I don't really know if I ran these tests correctly. Left is 256GB, right is 512GB.

Attachments

• 256gb SSD.png
    256gb SSD.png
    883.2 KB · Views: 386
  • 512gb SSD.png
    512gb SSD.png
    740.4 KB · Views: 395

Kafka

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
I don't want to hijack the thread but here you go. I don't really know if I ran these tests correctly. Left is 256GB, right is 512GB.

Thanks a lot mate. Damn I'm really tempted... Got to consider that I would void my warranty though, especially since I'd sell the original blade. Or maybe they wouldn't even notice it's not the original one?

Anyway, I'm surprised I have never seen anyone here talking about this!

Burke82

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
Thanks a lot mate. Damn I'm really tempted... Got to consider that I would void my warranty though, especially since I'd sell the original blade. Or maybe they wouldn't even notice it's not the original one?

Anyway, I'm surprised I have never seen anyone here talking about this!

Yw. I see a lot of older threads from 2007 regarding the site but then it went quiet. They seem to have a lot of older parts and some newer, particularly MBA and rMBP SSD drives of all flavors.

The warranty is the one thing that keeps me from selling my old blade. I'm hoping that once OWC comes out with the Envoy enclosure for the 2012 drives that I can just use it as a scratch disk of some sort. I would probably swap it out with the 256GB if I ever needed to have it serviced just in case they decided to replace it for some odd reason even if it was not related to the issue. There were no warranty void stickers opening the panel so it should be fine. Unless the clip in the center of the battery pack that secures the center of the bottom panel is the warranty voider (hence why it broke on me). I haven't heard of too many other people talking about that, maybe the OP has some input, but I think that it was just me lifting it off incorrectly.

PaulCostello

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2012
I will not be upgrading my air with a OWC drive. (though that "WAS" my christmas gift to myself this year) I will not be recommending OWC for any type of mac part to any of my friends any longer. TY OP! You probably saved me much frustration with these guys.

I know this may be an isolated incident, but thats MY take on it.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
I will not be upgrading my air with a OWC drive. (though that "WAS" my christmas gift to myself this year) I will not be recommending OWC for any type of mac part to any of my friends any longer. TY OP! You probably saved me much frustration with these guys.

I know this may be an isolated incident, but thats MY take on it.

I agree with you on that.

I'm curious to know if anyone has any experience buying from those guys:

http://www.yourmacstore.com/samsung-512gb-ssd-for-macbook-air-2012/

That looks like the best option at this point, especially if it is OEM.

OWC Nick

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2010
Woodstock, IL
Yw.
The warranty is the one thing that keeps me from selling my old blade. I'm hoping that once OWC comes out with the Envoy enclosure for the 2012 drives that I can just use it as a scratch disk of some sort. I would probably swap it out with the 256GB if I ever needed to have it serviced just in case they decided to replace it for some odd reason even if it was not related to the issue. There were no warranty void stickers opening the panel so it should be fine. Unless the clip in the center of the battery pack that secures the center of the bottom panel is the warranty voider (hence why it broke on me). I haven't heard of too many other people talking about that, maybe the OP has some input, but I think that it was just me lifting it off incorrectly.

The Envoy Pros for the 2012 MBA and the 2012 rMBPs should be available by end of December. Regarding warranty, I suggest all familiarize with the Magnuson Moss Act. The basic tenet of it says that as long as a modification does not affect other components...or by the act of installing such an upgrade you don't damage other components, then the warranty must be honored. I personally have never heard of anyone being denied warranty service due to a self installed upgrade that did not affect other components. In other words, if you install an SSD and your display goes out, it is up to the manufacturer to prove that the SSD (install and usage of such) caused the display to fail.

Hope that helps!

rpg51

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012
Thanks for that posting re Magnuson Moss. The question for a consumer though is whether Apple will interpret the law in the same way. If they do, fine. If not, we are in for a long expensive slog with lots of rights that it may not be practical to enforce. Even though the act does have a right to attorney fees - it isn't very practical to throw thousands of dollars to a lawyer in the hope that you will prevail on a $1500 claim and get your attorney fees.

But - I expect that Apple probably does interpret it in the same manner.

Last edited:

solomoncw76

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2012
problem with my OWC Mercury Aura Pro Express (CRASHED)

HI folks does any one has advice on a piece of SSD which is for the macbook air 2011. The SSD refused to boot up and i was unable to even call up the restore for it

So i removed it. and it showed up as a 25 GB sand force DISK... i was unable to erase or format it with the disk utility. The only thing that it reports is that it was unable to write to the end of blocks..

Any advice ?

drinkjetfuel

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
It's not as isolated of an indecent. I'm on my second Aura Pro 2012 240gb, that doesn't fit.

During my last conversation with their tech support they told me that I wasn't pressing hard enough to get the SSD to fit properly.

FjBX2l.jpg

cmPW6l.jpg

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Seems OWC has QC issues. I'm going to stay away.

Love this: "During my last conversation with their tech support they told me that I wasn't pressing hard enough to get the SSD to fit properly."

So wha happens when you break it because you were trying to push hard enough?

Reactions: blake2

drinkjetfuel

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
Seems OWC has QC issues. I'm going to stay away.

Love this: "During my last conversation with their tech support they told me that I wasn't pressing hard enough to get the SSD to fit properly."

So wha happens when you break it because you were trying to push hard enough?

Exactly my sentiments...

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
So any experience from members using the new OWC drives and not having any issues?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.