Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdomon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Looks like Microsoft has officially released Xbox SmartGlass (renamed from My Xbox LIVE) as an update today. Details in my screenshot below.

photo.PNG

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Just tried it on my ipad and iphone for a couple of minutes. Not a big fan of the remote section, as the touchpad feels loose and laggy to me. I have the original xbox remote (with my HD-DVD add on) and having the real remote is much better.

I haven't tried any typing yet, I have a chatpad, but to be fair I hardly plug it in. This may be a good use of the iPhone/iPad smartglass.

The big draw in my opinion will be the 2nd screen during gameplay, we will see how it is implemented. It could be just another useless add on, or it could be a great, the jury is still out.

knightfolk

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2010
it looks pretty cool. I might try it out. Does it cost anything?

Nope it is free. I have not seen any lag at all so far. Halo 4,s second screen is nice but nothing special at least from what I have seen so far.

wdomon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
I'm very impressed with it. Keep in mind that this is still in it's infancy, so I'm focusing more on the potential as opposed to the current content. I think having a second screen such as an iPad, will give the creative types behind these blockbuster triple A games the canvas to come up with some fantastic additions to our favorite games. Beyond that, I like that I am finally able to use the keyboard on my phone and tablet to type on the Xbox. Maybe I'll actually use the Search function on Netflix now...

I don't think SmartGlass is going to change the way we play video games forever, but I can easily see it enhancing it. Can't wait to see how this is used in the future.

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
I'm very impressed with it. Keep in mind that this is still in it's infancy, so I'm focusing more on the potential as opposed to the current content. I think having a second screen such as an iPad, will give the creative types behind these blockbuster triple A games the canvas to come up with some fantastic additions to our favorite games. Beyond that, I like that I am finally able to use the keyboard on my phone and tablet to type on the Xbox. Maybe I'll actually use the Search function on Netflix now...

I don't think SmartGlass is going to change the way we play video games forever, but I can easily see it enhancing it. Can't wait to see how this is used in the future.

It appears that the keyboard does not work with Netflix just yet. At least it was not working for me. Looks like ill be flipping back to the Apple TV for Netflix

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Smartglass for xbox 360 out now on iOS

Just got my update to the My Xbox Live App last night. This updated the app to Xbox Smartglass on my iPhone!

Love this thing, works perfectly. Can't wait for more games to be integrated so i can use this on my phone.

Also able to use it as basically a secondary controller for movies and videos and of course IE.

Figured i'd post this here to let people know if they were interested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.