Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simswithguns

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
One of my main interests for wanting to get an iPad is to use for my guitar teaching. One of my friends uses it for scores which is pretty cool (in lieu of using sheets of music). I was just wondering if there were any people on the forums that used a tablet for music creation/production/etc. and any apps that you use would be really helpful. Trying to save up for a refurb 32 GB iPad3 but I got another month or 2 before I can afford it.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Looking forward to the new MPC fly for sampling, when it hits soon.
Otherwise, I've been using GarageBand, which isn't great but is good for laying down ideas,

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
One of my main interests for wanting to get an iPad is to use for my guitar teaching. One of my friends uses it for scores which is pretty cool (in lieu of using sheets of music). I was just wondering if there were any people on the forums that used a tablet for music creation/production/etc. and any apps that you use would be really helpful. Trying to save up for a refurb 32 GB iPad3 but I got another month or 2 before I can afford it.

I use my iPad and iPhone for teaching the guitar. I use the following apps:
Songsterr
TabToolkit
GuitarToolkit
Music Tutor (Free)
Tempo Slow (Free)

The full-size iPad is great for reading tab or sheet music. The only disadvantage is a lot of the apps don't let you print stuff out.

I keep all my plain text tabs in Pages documents in iCloud. You can also easily search for tabs on the internet and pull them up to play. When I give lessons at my home I can easily print materials on my printer from my iPad - when visiting students I obviously have to print out in advance.

The iPad (or iPhone) is also great for doing searches in YouTube for songs I don't own, so I can listen and work out the song basics during a lesson. I bluetooth to a sound system I have in my home studio so I can watch the video, hear it at a good volume and play along with my student.

simswithguns

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
I use my iPad and iPhone for teaching the guitar. I use the following apps:
Songsterr
TabToolkit
GuitarToolkit
Music Tutor (Free)
Tempo Slow (Free)

The full-size iPad is great for reading tab or sheet music. The only disadvantage is a lot of the apps don't let you print stuff out.

I keep all my plain text tabs in Pages documents in iCloud. You can also easily search for tabs on the internet and pull them up to play. When I give lessons at my home I can easily print materials on my printer from my iPad - when visiting students I obviously have to print out in advance.

The iPad (or iPhone) is also great for doing searches in YouTube for songs I don't own, so I can listen and work out the song basics during a lesson. I bluetooth to a sound system I have in my home studio so I can watch the video, hear it at a good volume and play along with my student.

cool man, yeah I want to use it especially if I have to go to a students house or somewhere else, even at my own studio. It would be pretty handy vs. my MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.