Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
The sales tax here in Montreal is quite high (15%), so if I bought the 64GB iPad from Apple it would have cost me $805 after tax. I found someone selling it in a sealed box for $650 on craigslist, so I called him and said I was interested. He agreed to meet me right away.

I checked the model number for the iPad 3 and 4 online (1416 vs 1458) so that I can verify the iPad from the box sticker. I met the guy, checked the box, everything looked in order. 64GB 1458. Then I removed the shrink wrap, and tested the iPad. It fired up right away, but I could not complete the setup because there was no WiFi (gas station.)

After taking it home, I set it up, and verified that it does indeed have 64GB of storage (was worried about this the most.) I just finished moving my data and apps to it, and it's running flawlessly.

Is there anything I should look for? Anything I should test? And why do you think he sold it at a loss like that? When I asked him, he just said it's business.

If I manage to sell my 64GB iPad 3 for $600 (which is reasonable I think) this upgrade will have cost me 50 bucks.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Did you get it from someone named in the Charbonneau commission? I hear they may need cash for some legal bills soon!

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
It'll be off the back of a lorry. Wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy your iPad!

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
The sales tax here in Montreal is quite high (15%), so if I bought the 64GB iPad from Apple it would have cost me $805 after tax. I found someone selling it in a sealed box for $650 on craigslist, so I called him and said I was interested. He agreed to meet me right away.

I checked the model number for the iPad 3 and 4 online (1416 vs 1458) so that I can verify the iPad from the box sticker. I met the guy, checked the box, everything looked in order. 64GB 1458. Then I removed the shrink wrap, and tested the iPad. It fired up right away, but I could not complete the setup because there was no WiFi (gas station.)

After taking it home, I set it up, and verified that it does indeed have 64GB of storage (was worried about this the most.) I just finished moving my data and apps to it, and it's running flawlessly.

Is there anything I should look for? Anything I should test? And why do you think he sold it at a loss like that? When I asked him, he just said it's business.

If I manage to sell my 64GB iPad 3 for $600 (which is reasonable I think) this upgrade will have cost me 50 bucks.

Go to Apple's website and type in the Serial number to check the warranty. That should tell you if it was stolen or not.

TheDoctah

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2008
Brampton, ON
When you do a serial number check it should show the date of purchase. If it has a valid purchase date. No need to worry on your end.

The person that sold you it is probably running some sort of store scam

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Go to Apple's website and type in the Serial number to check the warranty. That should tell you if it was stolen or not.

All it's telling me is Technical Support: Active, and Repairs and Services Coverage: Active.

Where does it show the date of purchase?

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Only thing I could figure is the seller got the five finger discount when he 'bought' it.

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
When does the warranty expire? Subtract one year from that and add one day. That's your purchase date.

Ah I found the info on a new page.

Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under Apple's Limited Warranty.
Estimated Expiration Date: 05 November 2013

And what does this mean?

Valid Purchase Date
A validated purchase date lets Apple quickly find your product and provide the help you need.

What exactly is a 'validated' purchase date? How does one usually validate it? (website says mine is already valid)

war eagle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
You're okay man. Enjoy your ipad. You paid for it already, you set it up as new, it's yours.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Anyway, getting a good deal on an iPad doesn't necessarily mean it's stolen.

Maybe someone got it for him as a gift, and he chose to sell it at a bit of a loss and keep the cash instead.

Maybe he bought it with an employee discount and has actually sold it for more than he really paid.

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012

Maybe someone got it for him as a gift, and he chose to sell it at a bit of a loss and keep the cash instead.

Maybe he bought it with an employee discount and has actually sold it for more than he really paid.

Makes sense. How much is the employee discount anyway?

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI

A friend of mine works at the Apple store. Employee discount is only 15% iirc.

----------

Makes sense. How much is the employee discount anyway?

Didn't see your post :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.