Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
actually, yes it is. it's just part of good business today.

You miss my point. Apple is trying to address competition through the courts instead of through product development. If they thought they could compete with products they would. Suing Samsung repeatedly, especially with these weak cases, signals to everyone that they are deeply concerned and not coping all that well with the competitive pressure.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Just give it up Apple. You've gone to far. Spend the money on innovating. Not suing.

You want Apple to spend less on lawsuits and more are innovating. So what, they can create more things for folks to copy without any punishment. Google would love that, they already think all things Apple should be de facto standards since they are popular

Meanwhile folks will continue too sue Apple over everything including exhausted SEP

----------

Judge Lucy Koh should really be pissed and fed up with these stupid lawsuits :rolleyes:

They stop and she's out of a job

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
You want Apple to spend less on lawsuits and more are innovating. So what, they can create more things for folks to copy without any punishment. Google would love that, they already think all things Apple should be de facto standards since they are popular

Meanwhile folks will continue too sue Apple over everything including exhausted SEP

what idea was copied in story? that stylus apple used in 1989?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I'd love to see what would happen if Samsung simply stopped supplying Apple with NAND flash memory and LCD screens.

They would be sued for contract violation.

If they wait and refuse to sign any new contracts they would lose a ton of money cause making parts for Apple is big business for them

----------

wow. you just aren't getting it, are you? Under U.S. patent law, if you don't "actively" defend your patent, you lose it.

That rule only applies to trademarks. Same as the use laws.

That you can go for years not using or defending a patent until someone makes it big off 'your' property is one of the biggest issues with US patent law. It is how patent trolling can even exist

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
Apple to sue Nintendo for its use of stylus for DS, DSi, DSiXL, DS3D, DS3DXL.

When was the stylus invented?

kdarling

macrumors P6
Unlike you, I am old enough to remember the "Newton".

There are a lot of experienced people on this forum old enough to not only remember the Newton, but to have worked on similar items.

I remember at the time the tech to translate handwriting into digital text was a big deal. Apple was the only company at the time who could do this.

Hardly. Look up GO Corporation and the PenPoint OS sometime. It used IBM's handwriting recognition (HWR) system. HWR was big in the 80s and early 90s.

For the younger set here with no memory of the Newton, its poor handwriting recognition (especially in the first version) was mocked for weeks by the popular Doonesbury comic, helping to publicly doom it with strips like this one:

newton.png

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
That's not my point. View the video above. Apple has no plans whatsoever to implement the use of a stylus in their current or future products. It is a technology that they bash themselves and effectively have abandoned.

Wow, what hyperbolic BS. Apple never bashed the use of a stylus as an option, just a requirement. And they implemented use from the first iPhone. Maybe it's not as fancy and cool as you want but it is there.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Wow, what hyperbolic BS. Apple never bashed the use of a stylus as an option, just a requirement. And they implemented use from the first iPhone. Maybe it's not as fancy and cool as you want but it is there.

I still can't make my anagram of SCO out of the letters Apple :(

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I wish Apple would pay a less attention to these lawsuits and more attention to component supply and resolving manufacturing issues. Maybe then they could release a product on time. Just saying.

Damn straight. Really stupid of them that their engineers and their lawyers are the same people

Oh wait. . .

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
You miss my point. Apple is trying to address competition through the courts instead of through product development. If they thought they could compete with products they would. Suing Samsung repeatedly, especially with these weak cases, signals to everyone that they are deeply concerned and not coping all that well with the competitive pressure.

So what does lawsuits over exhausted FRAND applicable SEPs say about Samsung

Fresh Burek

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Apple is seriously becoming the next Microsoft. Such a shame. :(

Perhaps they need to focus again on innovation rather than lawsuits. They haven't released a new product since the iPad. Only refreshing the current products and suing the competition is not what made them who they are.

Mr Bigs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Bklyn N.Y
Ok, I do get that, but then the question is why aren't they suing Microsoft for the Slate? My wife saw a comercial for it and until they said it was a Microsoft product she thought it was the oddest commercial Apple had ever produced because she thought it was for the new iPad. And she is not a dummy when it comes to these things, if it can fool her, it could fool anyone.
I would have to question you wife's knowledge here because the two are totally different.:rolleyes:

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
This is getting ridiculous. It's becoming harder and harder to support a company like Apple.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
(to re-cap...) It's like saying 'stop spending money on securing your house, that's boring, just buy more stuff to put in your house. If you buy enough nice stuff for your house, it doesn't matter if you keep getting robbed!'. That's not a good plan.

I'm sorry the above analogy doesn't make any sense. It's more like sueing a neighbour with a similar home... Which is pointless. If you're secure and confident with what/how you've equipped/styled your home, you shouldn't be upset about been copied. rather you should be flattered knowing nothing is quite like the original... ;)

The analogy does make sense, but I guess I wasn't clear enough on it. Apple claim they have ideas/innovations (patents) which Samsung (or whoever) did not have until they stole them from Apple. It isn't a case of just 'copying', because the patent can only belong to one of them. The idea can be copied, but the patent can't.

So when Apple spend a lot of money and time innovating, then successfully patent the fruits of that work, they have every right to protect that uncopy-able thing, because it protects their ability to profit from their investment. If they don't defend the patents they have ('secure their house' in my analogy) then anyone can walk in, and take the patent (the uncopy-able thing that means only they can profit from the investment) and also profit, but having not made the investment (or not managed to patent a similar idea in time).

Now, Samsung, or whoever, can challenge the validity of a patent, or challenge the charge of infringing it, that is fine. What isn't fine is company B using company A's investment in time and money for free and then expecting to remain unchallenged on it and company A just saying 'ah well, we'll make even more investments to try and make up the lost business and hope company B doesn't use our ideas for free again!'.

And sure the whole system is broken, and it virtually guarantees a string of ostensibly stupid lawsuits when you look at them individually, but Apple didn't write the rules, they just have to work with them the best they can.

'Don't hate the players, hate the game'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.