Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
And Flash is brought up again? Not even Google supports it officially anymore with JB. It is on its way out.
I agree, but there are sites - my kids use ClubPenguin a lot - which are Flash-based and which will remain Flash-based for the near future, and the ability to use Flash - as craptastic as it is - is a plus for me, officially supported or not.

There are a lot of similar sites for kids, who tend to use older computers when online and who therefore will retain Flash capabilities for quite a while.

Again, I think Flash is horrific (and that's as a developer who currently also has to support an Enterprise app suite partially dependent upon Flash). But being able to use it is an advantage to a number of us.

Coastercub

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011
UK
I liked the Nexus until I tried to read a book on it. What a nightmare trying to find something that worked as well as iBooks. No native PDF reader and no importing epubs into Google Books.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought this. I got a Nexus 7 to read e-books with as well as all the other tablety goodness but finding an ebook app that was even just slightly bearable was a trauma. Even iTunes lets you import epub books. So sold my Nexus 7 and got an iPad min instead which is perfect :D

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
1. A report from Gene Munster?

2. A report from 2011?

3. A report using lifetime revenue?

heh heh, why don't you find out more Android revenue number and share with the rest of us? It seems to be a common tactic that if one cannot win an argument base on information, they keep asking for more so they don't have to admit that they are wrong.. You are as adapt as me in finding information in internet.. Look for it yourselves if you don't believe this site. I did my share of searching, it is up to you if you want to argue that it is not the case. :cool:

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
heh heh, why don't you find out more Android revenue number and share with the rest of us? It seems to be a common tactic that if one cannot win an argument base on information, they keep asking for more so they don't have to admit that they are wrong.. You are as adapt as me in finding information in internet.. Look for it yourselves if you don't believe this site. I did my share of searching, it is up to you if you want to argue that it is not the case. :cool:

I believe that iOS App Store revenue is larger than Play Store. The thing that I don't believe is anything that Munster says.

Peppa

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2012
Best of luck with your new purchase. I predict, however that you will be back really soon. The Google Nexus has no 3G/4G support and customizing gets boring really fast. You could always look into jailbreaking an iPad if you really wanted to "customize" it.

I used to be in the skinning community for Windows XP when i was younger. I also created a theme or two for jailbroken iPod Touches (pre-retina).

So you never tried the apple smart case that combines the smart cover with a case?

I no longer jailbreak my iOS devices but I do create my own lock screen and backgrounds using Pixelmator. Perhaps, you should look into creating your own images as a way to have a feel of having "control". I also create/edit my own ringtones and alert sounds.

You can change all of the background images and alert sounds on an iOS device without even jailbreaking. What exactly are you looking for? Aren't you still just a consumer of media if you customize thing with themes created by other people?

You will also quickly discover the lack of apps/games and the lower quality of ported/original apps on android.

You make an incredible amount of assumptions here which are rather biased.

Firstly, I don't need 3G or 4G since I don't need yet another monthly bill...plus I've never needed to use it somewhere without wifi.

I've worked extensively both on iOS and Android and I've found that the positives in Android outweigh the positives on iOS for me. I don't game much so I'm not concerned about games. All the apps I need are on Android...I've checked, and I also think that the app store will catch up over time as is evidenced by the hardware catching up. You really think google will never catch up in apps? Foolish.

I don't like having bulky cases on it that make it heavier...I shouldn't have to buy more stuff for it, it should be comfortable to begin with.

I don't think customizing is boring and I'm actually a graphic designer and make a lot of my own bgs/icons. I like making my homescreen my own. Also, there isn't a stable jailbreak for iOS 6 on iPad yet.

It's not just about changing a bg...that's hardly customization. It's about completely designing your home screen to you. Maybe this website will give you an idea: http://mycolorscreen.com/

Last edited:

skunnykart

macrumors regular
May 7, 2010
Lest we forget Apple's Newton -- circa 1994 . . . or how Apple Fellow Alan Kay described portable computing and various sorts of non-traditional and inventive user interfaces . . . circa the 1980s.

You know, THAT non-innovative Apple . . .

Did anyone mention the non-innovativeness of Apple's iPhone and iPad packaging, or the non-innovativeness of Apple's customized ARM CPU/GPUs, or the non-innovativeness of Apple's consistently responsive touch-screen interface, or the non-innovativeness of the iPhone or iPad battery life before needing a recharge -- particularly when compared to recent Android LTE-capable offerings . . .

Let's not forget Apple's non-innovative OSX operating system and its stellar 12-year track record as a ROCK solid operating system, 100% devoid of self-propagating, self-installing malware -- you know, when compared to those ready-for-prime-time operating systems from Microsoft and its **included for free** tens-of-thousands of available malware zooming around the internet, waiting to reach out and severely touch someone . . .

Above are but a few examples of what has apparently become known around "these parts" [ahem] as lacking in innovation . . .

And, lest we forget -- the number of Apple-filed and awarded patents simply MUST be related to their non-innovativeness, particularly when compared to "the other guy," who has not been as prolific in the patent filing department -- patent BUYING department, perhaps, but not so many in the patent FILING arena.

Finally, this needs to be mentioned -- what is this crap about Android being an "open" operating system? Really? Anybody got access to the complete source?

Engage brain, please.

Niffy

Engage brain?

What was the state of your brain when I said that I was not disputing the fact that Apple is innovative...

You're obviously not going to read my original post so here is my point in summary: Apple is innovative and I love Apple for it but for some things... Apple's so called innovation is marketing BS.

And finally, what is this thing about Android being an open OS? Did I say anything about Android being an open OS in my post?

In fact in the last paragraph of my post didn't I say "I don't like android because apple does it better"...?

Did you even read my post?
What is going on in your brain?

jasvncnt

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey
Yeah get your point, But why not have all that noise automatically culled from the iOS store.. I don't wanna trawl through heaps of rubbish. I trust Apple to weed out the rubbish and do the quality control. Pointless having to do the quality control yourself, PLUS you be left with the majority of Tablet users having a poor experience.

Some of us...granted maybe just a few..would like the option to install what we want and not have someone else tell us you cant run this or that its bad for you. I like the option to decide for myself. So Its a few more click to install..no big deal here.

----------

Lost of newbies here commenting, hmm.. marketers perhaps?

Lost of comments about wanting to sorting through the app nightmare, making their own decisions about quality of apps and malware, pretty pretentious of them. Typical of many Nerds, so much smarter than, well the rest of us and they certainly know whats the best for us. Reminds me a lot of early windose fanboys. The smugness of the samsung phone adds are backfiring, now desperation is setting in the tablet market.

Most consumers just want something that works well, don't understand nor want to filter through all the reviews and mine fields. Easy decisions.

Its nice to have choices. I'm waiting for some real world reviews...... a drop test anyone? It there a take apart yet?

Well thats great, then Apple is a good choice for you. Not bashing. I would rather have choice. I dont care who likes apple..who likes android..I know for my needs Android is better. I'm not bashing either of them. I just feel android serves my needs a bit better at this point.

"Typical of many Nerds, so much smarter than, well the rest of us and they certainly know whats the best for us"

Ummm..kinda like Apple does...knows whats best for you?

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Apple stock dropped today under $590. It was over $700 a month ago, seems like the bubble is deflating.

When Apple's stock reached 700, no one in their right mind should have thought the stock was going to stay that high. 700 reflected the euphoria of the WDC in June and the anticipation of iPhone 5. No reasonable investor would believe that 700 would become the new baseline. Values rise, values fall. Apple is settling in back where it should be.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
When Apple's stock reached 700, no one in their right mind should have thought the stock was going to stay that high. 700 reflected the euphoria of the WDC in June and the anticipation of iPhone 5. No reasonable investor would believe that 700 would become the new baseline. Values rise, values fall. Apple is settling in back where it should be.

Heh heh. sound like a market timing guru in the making.. What will the stock price be next week? Next month? Next year? it is easy to make prediction after the fact. .. make sure you let us know beforehand, so we can all benefit ..lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.