Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I want to get a new iMac and do some minor vocal recording with something like a Blue Yeti USB Mic, not a full audio interface or anything.

I want to know what would be best to upgrade that would benefit me, would a base model 27" with a fusion drive be enough? Do I need a i7 or additional memory?

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
If you are just starting out and know you won't be running a gazzlion tracks and plugins etc, then ANY new Mac will be plenty adequate. It needn't be a top end i7 with SSD.
Keep in mind that Garageband really isn't bad either.. You may not even need Logic.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
If all you're going to do is minor vocal recording how about an iPad. There are some pretty powerful iPad DAW apps like Auria that will do the job.

If you really want an iMac or you want to work with virtual instruments any stock iMac model will work for you.

http://auriaapp.com/Products/auria

Timhet

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2010
As a general rule of thumb, multi-media does take a big toll on your CPU and RAM so you want as much as you can afford.

Having said that, the advice above is correct. Basic stuff won't tax your system that much. However, if you start to get into it more, you will wish you upgraded your specs.

I think that CPU and RAM is more important than a SSD for audio recording.

You can upgrade your RAM on the iMac, but the CPU might be harder.

wdnewman

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Sunny South
Garageband.

Ditto on starting out with Garageband. If later you want to move to Logic, then the GB files will load right in and work fine.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I want to get a new iMac and do some minor vocal recording with something like a Blue Yeti USB Mic, not a full audio interface or anything.

I want to know what would be best to upgrade that would benefit me, would a base model 27" with a fusion drive be enough? Do I need a i7 or additional memory?

Get aftermarket memory 16-32 gb and a fusion drive should be fine. You could get by with an i5 I think.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Get aftermarket memory 16-32 gb and a fusion drive should be fine. You could get by with an i5 I think.

Awesome since this thread got a Fusion drive on the way and ordering 16GB RAM for a total of 24

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.