Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Why argue about it? There is a chance the inside is defective too. Why risk it later rather than sooner?

jpxdude

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2006
For the premium paid, I would replace it. If it was dell, Acer or any other brand that is half or less of the price, you can guarantee it is either plastic, or made of cheaper/lesser materials than Apples much lauded unibody designs.

I'm sure most here wouldn't accept an apple product that had dead pixels, or dusty screens, and whilst a little chip may appear a lesser reason to make a fuss, Apple can afford to offer no quibble replacements of even the smallest defects most of the time, because of the market and perception of their brand that they've nurtured.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Excuse me?
Ive spent just shy of £1k on a new unit which is supposed to be machined from a block of aluminium, from a company who strive to deliver goods of impeccable quality.
Ive received something which has clearly been dropped or knocked somewhere along the line before being packaged. I had second thoughts to begin with, but the more I think of it, the more I'm glad I'm having it replaced. I shouldn't have to keep any kind of defect with a new product - Apple appreciate this, which is why I have been offered a straight replacement without quibble.
If you, on the other hand, are fine with receiving a less then 100% quality item, so be it. To each their own.

Well, you did ask, so I gave an opinion. Obviously it is not in keeping with the fussy majority here, but I'm not bothered.

limesmoothie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
If there were any chance that this machine had been dropped, I'd get a replacement, yes. Its your money. Apple's QC issues are for them to sort out, you shouldn't be subsidising it.

So, no -you're not being fussy at all. If you'd bought a brand new car and the front wing was dented, would you accept it?

LachlanH

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
Excuse me?
Ive spent just shy of £1k on a new unit which is supposed to be machined from a block of aluminium, from a company who strive to deliver goods of impeccable quality.
Ive received something which has clearly been dropped or knocked somewhere along the line before being packaged. I had second thoughts to begin with, but the more I think of it, the more I'm glad I'm having it replaced. I shouldn't have to keep any kind of defect with a new product - Apple appreciate this, which is why I have been offered a straight replacement without quibble.
If you, on the other hand, are fine with receiving a less then 100% quality item, so be it. To each their own.

To be honest, given this post, I am not really sure why you bothered even asking what others thought, Seems like you would have returned it anyway.

Not saying returning it was wrong, if Apple are happy to do it then that is great. Can't say as I would have returned it myself but I tend to be an 'if it works it ain't broke' kind of guy.

borostef

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
You're assuming this was dropped after it was assembled when it doesn't even look dropped at all. Metal is not perfect and it could very well be chipped or flaked during the machining process - but that doesn't mean the computer was tossed around like a ball, dropped then shipped.

Just admit it, you guys are whiners. 80% of this forum now whines about every little thing and 90% of them are cosmetic related stuff. It's hard to even find quality threads on this forum any more.

Whiners? Well if you are happy with receiving a damaged product, and not a cheap one, then good luck to you...
Why would you not return it? I would do the same with any other product... If I pay for something I would, at least expect it to arrive undamaged....

sam.dg

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
You should return it, but you must pray that your next mini doesn't have more defects than this tiny winy dent! :rolleyes:

DitteVilladsen

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
Sometimes I'm relieved at the first scratch or dent or stain or tear in something. It gets me over being really neurotic about not harming it and I can start to enjoy it.

This is similar to the theory that (low) cost is a feature. You can be carefree about taking your Kindle to the beach or anywhere, whereas you're nervous as hell about your iPad or iPhone. Same with battery life. With a Kindle you just don't even consider it to be an electronic device. It's like a book. With an iPad or iPhone you're constantly making mental calculations about what you're doing and how long until the next charge.

sean barry

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
Belding, MI
Whiners? You want whiners? go to Fox News;)
You are being fussy, so what? Perhaps you may want to re-sell it in a few years and a prospective buyer might be fussy to.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I'm sure most here wouldn't accept an apple product that had dead pixels, or dusty screens, and whilst a little chip may appear a lesser reason to make a fuss, Apple can afford to offer no quibble replacements of even the smallest defects most of the time, because of the market and perception of their brand that they've nurtured.

You're comparing dead pixels (a legitimate manufacturing defect) to a cosmetic bump?

I would return a new car if the frame was bent, not if there's a chip in the paint.

albert1028

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
You're comparing dead pixels (a legitimate manufacturing defect) to a cosmetic bump?

I would return a new car if the frame was bent, not if there's a chip in the paint.

I think it is purely subjective. I think, like some others have said, if you aren't comfortable or fully satisfied, just return it and get another one.

There are times I am okay with some cosmetic/minor defects from factory. But to each his own, I am a car enthusiast, and spending good money on several cars, I expect realistic flawless with the more expensive cars.

If a car enthusiast picks up a $100K car with a chip on it, it better be chip free, especially when one wants to collect these cars and install a clearbra on top.

I believe the original post is not being picky but just not fully satisifed. Go return it or order another and return it within the 14day policy and hopefully you get your new order before or just do a retail swap.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
+1

So let me get this straight. You came to a forum of whiners and asked them if they would whine and get a replacement over something as small as that?

If there is a forum with more anal-retentive consumers than MacRumors I sure haven't found it!

jsamuelson

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
Switzerland
It's a tiny flaw but, premium price should equal a perfect product, without exception. And Apple seem happy to replace it.

Each to their own. Personally - it would bother me.

Aug 5, 2012
Sounds like you already made your mind up prior to posting?!

Stop wasting everyones time and attention seeking OP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.