Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
There are a lot of experienced people on this forum old enough to not only remember the Newton, but to have worked on similar items.

Hardly. Look up GO Corporation and the PenPoint OS sometime. It used IBM's handwriting recognition (HWR) system. HWR was big in the 80s and early 90s.

For the younger set here with no memory of the Newton, its poor handwriting recognition (especially in the first version) was mocked for weeks by the popular Doonesbury comic, helping to publicly doom it with strips like this one:

View attachment 375559

While what you are saying may be true, it has no bearing on who was able to patent specific concepts. I don't know what patents Apple has or how they pertain to the stylus. I was only remembering the early 90's and the Newton.
I thought they had certain patents regarding handwriting translation. Are you saying they don't? Do you even know? Or are you just bashing Apple as usual because you enjoy doing so, and since I happened to say something that might suggest Apple is not the pariah you and so many proclaim. You are now coming after me? Please show a little dignity and not jump on every Apple basher bandwagon that comes along.

----------

In other words you have nothing. And going by your comments, you seem to be the petulant one.

Okay...if you say so. :)

cambox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
omnipresent
Those are no matchsticks! Those are styluses made to look like matchstick! Sue them!!

Attachments

• Match-Sticks1.jpeg
    Match-Sticks1.jpeg
    28.9 KB · Views: 351
  • Tim-Cook-008.jpeg
    Tim-Cook-008.jpeg
    18.1 KB · Views: 58

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
OH for god's sake give it a rest Apple. We get it - you dont like that Samsung has popped up, and can ship a hell of a lot more tablets than you can - do what you do best and make BETTER tablets you pathetic bunch of fools.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Ok, I do get that, but then the question is why aren't they suing Microsoft for the Slate? My wife saw a comercial for it and until they said it was a Microsoft product she thought it was the oddest commercial Apple had ever produced because she thought it was for the new iPad. And she is not a dummy when it comes to these things, if it can fool her, it could fool anyone.

Are you referring to the Microsoft "movement" Surface Commercial? Cause the tablets clearing show thee windows logo on the back of them, and you its very clear they are running windows 8. Anyone who has seen a windows phone would also realise its an windows OS.

The movement commercial is the only one I have seen in the UK, you might be referring to another one.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
If you want to participate in the discussion, the least you can do is to actually have something to say. Calling Apples CEO names is hardly having something to say. If that is the best you can do I would suggest you go play elsewhere. Maybe on the playground? ;)

I think that you need to relax a little

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I just think we need to take Samsung down for good so they wont come up with these crap.

You can pick up a pitchfork at your local hardware store..... the mob will be a little harder to organise, good luck with that ;)

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
If you want to participate in the discussion, the least you can do is to actually have something to say. Calling Apples CEO names is hardly having something to say. If that is the best you can do I would suggest you go play elsewhere. Maybe on the playground? ;)

These lawsuits are a joke, humour is the best way to deal with them now. ;)

Interestingly, when they first happened everyone on MR was like a frenzied mob, behind Apple, now, most people are tired/sick of hearing about them.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
OH for god's sake give it a rest Apple. We get it - you dont like that Samsung has popped up, and can ship a hell of a lot more tablets than you can - do what you do best and make BETTER tablets you pathetic bunch of fools.

This may come as a shock, not just to you, but to all the people who don't want Apple to pursue the protection of their Intellectual Property... Apple has many factions. Apple legal is one part, a separate part of the company. They are pretty much independent and play no role in the Creative part of the company.
Apple can make "better tablets" and still have a legal dept. that looks out for their best legal interests. The two don't really have anything to do with each other. In other words as I've said before, Apple can "walk and chew gum at the same time". The creative part of Apple is not affected even slightly by the legal dept. If you don't like the legal dept.at Apple, fine, I really don't care. You not liking it means nothing in the larger scheme of things. Apple will do what is in their best legal interest whether you like it or not. ;)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
You can pick up a pitchfork at your local hardware store..... the mob will be a little harder to organise, good luck with that ;)

I don't think a pitchfork will cut it... I heard protests always worked in large numbers.

Question is, will it work on Apple, being about as "stubborn as a mule"..

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I really hope samsung loose , i extremely dislike all of their products.

Really? Cause a lot of Samsung products are inside the very Apple products you love. The Samsung LCDs are top rate.

I have the the 15" retina, and am extremenly happy with the samsung LCD, glad I did not get the LG. I am more worried if Apple stops doing business with samsung, cause LG etc... do not cut it, as as the customer, I do not worse components in my Apple products.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
This may come as a shock, not just to you, but to all the people who don't want Apple to pursue the protection of their Intellectual Property... Apple has many factions. Apple legal is one part, a separate part of the company. They are pretty much independent and play no role in the Creative part of the company.
Apple can make "better tablets" and still have a legal dept. that looks out for their best legal interests. The two don't really have anything to do with each other. In other words as I've said before, Apple can "walk and chew gum at the same time". The creative part of Apple is not affected even slightly by the legal dept. If you don't like the legal dept.at Apple, fine, I really don't care. You not liking it means nothing in the larger scheme of things. Apple will do what is in their best legal interest whether you like it or not. ;)

I dunno, thats pretty creative...

I even have troubles doing that.

The two may be separate., but Apple still needs to be there when for the advice, and/or criticism etc. And when a "win" happens, I'm sure Apple themselves will know it....

This should be stopped.(as a whole)........ Its been well-done.... Are we doomed as Apple users that Apple will be going after Samsung, for the rest of out lives ? or the rest of theirs ?

Besides, Samsung parts are used anyway,, as mentioned, so Apple can't be all that cheesed off... Why not just kiss and make up?

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
These lawsuits are a joke, humour is the best way to deal with them now. ;)

Interestingly, when they first happened everyone on MR was like a frenzied mob, behind Apple, now, most people are tired/sick of hearing about them.

You think saying: "Tim looks like a stylus" is funny? I guess we have very different opinions when it comes to humor. You can blame MacRumors for continually posting stories about Apple Legal and Patent Suits. Of course you don't have to click on the story and read it, or comment about it, but you all do so anyway. You all complain about the story when it's your own fault for reading it to begin with. No one is making you read these articles. So just stop reading them already and quit all your whining. I'm not just talking to you, but to all the patent whiners out there in MacRumorland. ;)

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
wow. you just aren't getting it, are you? Under U.S. patent law, if you don't "actively" defend your patent, you lose it. Apple MUST file lawsuits against infringing products in order to hold on to their patents.
INCORRECT. You, like many other people before you, have just confused patent law with trademark law. COMPLETELY different things. Try to get your intellectual property laws straight, please.

Companies who hold patents and companies who hold copyright are completely within their rights to arbitrarily seek royalties (or not) at their discretion from other companies who use their IP, and they don't risk anything by not chasing after infringers other than what they could earn off of them (although some companies also end up using patents as a "billy club" by withholding licensing from others and then suing the crap out of everyone). On the other hand, companies who don't want their trademarks or service marks "diluted" must defend against possible trademark infringement or risk having their mark be considered "common".

-- Nathan

moargolems

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2011
Finland
Oh my god, Apple. How far can you go?

All these statements by die-hard Apple fanboys are really entertaining...

"I hope Samsung loses because their products suckKZOOR!!"
Does your Samsung-manufactured mobile chipset and display suck too?

Samsung has done everything better than Apple, in everything.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

Whilst this may be the 'official' opinion - that they are doing it to protect their intelectual property, we all know the real reason is to damage sales of Samsung tablets, as they have so far been the only real competition.

Apple is worried as they are loosing their lucrative marketshare on the phone and tablet market - to Samsung, who it has to be said, have been producing some good products. The S3 for example has proven to be a very popular phone, despite it being around the same price as the iPhone - the excuse that "people buy android stuff because they cant afford an iPhone" is no longer applicable. People are buying these products because they prefer them, and for good reason - Samsung has been able to get products to market a lot quicker than Apple.

I know you'll argue that they can do that "because they copy" but it's a load of tosh. Sure, the S2, S, etc were blatantly based on the iPhone (more so the Galaxy S - it looks almost identical to an iPhone 3G/s) but everything they have been working on recently is very much their own.

The lawsuits aren't benefitting anyone at all anymore, and are just fuelling idiotic arguments between brainwashed Apple supporters and "Fandroids" (god that's an immature insult).

Also for the record, before some immature 10 year old calls me a "Fandroid" or "Fanboy", I hold no allegiance to any company. I dont own any Samsung phones and never have done. I use an iPhone, and a Mac. Shockingly I buy stuff that does what I NEED it to, not "omg Apple made it - I must have it despite having no need for it".

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Is that the best you can come up with? Why don't you just call me a homo? Name calling seems to be all you have to offer. You can barely form a sentence, yet you have the audacity to respond. Amazing and yet pathetic. By the way, don't tell my wife that I'm gay. I'm still in the closet. :rolleyes:

Hahaha these guy is mad :) well if you consider yourself gay fair enough lol i dont judge people for it; btw the "wife" comment is not important child :D its the internet stop being so butthurt :p

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
Hey, Apple, suing isn't a business plan.

Just give it up Apple. You've gone to far. Spend the money on innovating. Not suing.

Truth!

This is getting tiresome. The only people who really benefit from this are the lawyers and trolls, and that is not cool.

Otherwise, more harm is being done that good, given that the two parties work together in other areas.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Whilst this may be the 'official' opinion - that they are doing it to protect their intelectual property, we all know the real reason is to damage sales of Samsung tablets, as they have so far been the only real competition.

Apple is worried as they are loosing their lucrative marketshare on the phone and tablet market - to Samsung, who it has to be said, have been producing some good products. The S3 for example has proven to be a very popular phone, despite it being around the same price as the iPhone - the excuse that "people buy android stuff because they cant afford an iPhone" is no longer applicable. People are buying these products because they prefer them, and for good reason - Samsung has been able to get products to market a lot quicker than Apple.

I know you'll argue that they can do that "because they copy" but it's a load of tosh. Sure, the S2, S, etc were blatantly based on the iPhone (more so the Galaxy S - it looks almost identical to an iPhone 3G/s) but everything they have been working on recently is very much their own.

The lawsuits aren't benefitting anyone at all anymore, and are just fuelling idiotic arguments between brainwashed Apple supporters and "Fandroids" (god that's an immature insult).

Also for the record, before some immature 10 year old calls me a "Fandroid" or "Fanboy", I hold no allegiance to any company. I dont own any Samsung phones and never have done. I use an iPhone, and a Mac. Shockingly I buy stuff that does what I NEED it to, not "omg Apple made it - I must have it despite having no need for it".

Did you even read what I said? Apple legal doesn't care what you think. Period. They will do what they think is in the best interest of Apple, whether you or a million like you whine and carry on or not. This is just business. Deal with it.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Give it up Apple. You tried and you failed. Now you're beating a horse that long since died of sheer boredom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.