Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
UK
So nobody on here is suffering this?

I've been on the Apple forums and there is a 300+ page thread about it, looks like anyone with an LG screen is getting this and people are still buying them today with this issue so it hasn't been fixed by Apple.

They are calling it the 'samsung lottery', if you get a samsung display your supposedly fine, however some are reporting a more yellowey tint.. where as LG are whiter but are suffering image retention.

If you have a rMBP i suggest you change your wallpaper to the solid grey colour which makes it easier to check.

The worrying thing is will it get worse? making the device useless in a year or something.

ajanini

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2012
São Paulo, Brazil

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
So nobody on here is suffering this?

I've been on the Apple forums and there is a 300+ page thread about it, looks like anyone with an LG screen is getting this and people are still buying them today with this issue so it hasn't been fixed by Apple.

There are many existing threads.

Apple updated their support page to acknowledge it a while ago.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5455

NEC has published a number of white papers on the topic. Unfortunately I can't locate any of the good ones. This is sort of an older issue resurfacing, as it was much more common on older displays. Most people experienced it further into the life of the display, and attempting to fix it was annoying. The commonly accepted method was to bring up a white screen and leave it that way for an extended period of time. My opinion is if you're within the return period, return it. Otherwise they will likely send it in for service with or without arguing (not sure of their stance on these).

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
If it bothers you, return it or change it :)

However, I will say, that's its a common problem among IPS panels and technically looks within spec. I'll (as per usual) get shot down by the MacRumors Apple-hating gang for saying this, but it's the truth! (last time I posted this on one of these threads they called it complete ******** until I posted a list of links :()

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.