Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omar4578

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
SoCal
ok, idk if glass is supposed to do this, but when i add pressure to my screen it feels like a resistive touch screen instead of a capacitive touch screen like its supposed to be, im wondering if its really glass?

idk it doesnt feel like the ipad 2 which i had before where i can add pressure and, of course the glass wouldnt bend. and i can literally hover my finger over my iphone 4s and it would pick up touch gestures, but sometimes on the ipad mini it takes several attmpts to even open an app, or press the little x on the corner of an ad.

anyone else noticing this?

bluelightalarm

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2011
South Wales, UK
This was one of the first things I noticed when I unboxed my new mini. The glass seems really, really thin on the screen

After a few days use I'm also having trouble pressing the little X in the search box on the App Store - I was hoping it might be a software bug :-/

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Yeah that was one the first things I noticed too. Wondered if I was imagining it. Anyway mine has gone back due to the screen being not what I expected.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I didn't notice the screen bend but I did notice the screen being a lower quality in general. You can hear the tap of your fingers more than the regular ipad and things feel a bit more sticky.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
It's probably a different glass than the iPad 2.

Probably thinner, thus bends when you press on it hard.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I think its the same issue also with Ipod touch 5 where the touch sensitive is not very accurate. Maybe due to both products are really really thin or that Apple used lower quality glass to cut cost.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This was one of the first things I noticed when I unboxed my new mini. The glass seems really, really thin on the screen
I thought the same thing. The glass is very thin and tapping on it produces a hollow-ish sound.

After a few days use I'm also having trouble pressing the little X in the search box on the App Store - I was hoping it might be a software bug :-/
I noticed this as well, not sure what it is, size of the controls and/or precision of the touchpad. I'll keep a closer eye on this myself as I just noticed it occurring.

Overall I'm very happy with the iPad but no device is perfect

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007

Same here.

I just end up pressing the delete key to delete the search term.

Apple guesses what you "intend" to press. They are guessing you didn't intend on pressing the "X".

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well how did you guys think they were going to get the weight down?

Your post makes it sound like they had to the weight down. Yes they made it thinner and lighter. I'd prefer a few more grams of weight if that means the glass is going to be that much more sturdier.

There comes a point in a design that a product is too light or too thin, and I wonder if the mini has approached that threshold

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
How many people have said that the modest amount of weight the iPad 3 gained turned it into an unusable slab of concrete.

I've not seen those posts, and we're not talking about the iPad 3 (or 4) but the mini which by the fact of its design will be very light.

My point is that I'd rather have a few more grams of weight if that means I don't have any flexing in the screen or that hollowness when tapping.

I'm very happy with the mini, but no device is perfect and I'm concerned about the strength of the glass as I use it on a day to day basis.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
ok, idk if glass is supposed to do this, but when i add pressure to my screen it feels like a resistive touch screen instead of a capacitive touch screen like its supposed to be, im wondering if its really glass?

idk it doesnt feel like the ipad 2 which i had before where i can add pressure and, of course the glass wouldnt bend. and i can literally hover my finger over my iphone 4s and it would pick up touch gestures, but sometimes on the ipad mini it takes several attmpts to even open an app, or press the little x on the corner of an ad.

anyone else noticing this?

Because of the thinner bezel and the OS ignoring what it believes to be a thumb holding the iPad at the side of the screen, can you try ensuring a thumb is on the screen at the opposite side of where the cross is and then try tapping the cross with a free finger. Does that make any difference?

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Your post makes it sound like they had to the weight down. Yes they made it thinner and lighter. I'd prefer a few more grams of weight if that means the glass is going to be that much more sturdier.

There comes a point in a design that a product is too light or too thin, and I wonder if the mini has approached that threshold

The problem isn't in the glass.

The problem is in the software.

iOS guesses what you "intended" to press.

As Donka has mention "Because of the thinner bezel and the OS ignoring what it believes to be a thumb holding the iPad at the side of the screen."

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Yup, glass is thinner, anti-glare coating isn't nearly as good, and fingerprints seem much easier to accumulate. Feels cheap to me.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Who said glass isn't supposed to bend?

347136-corning-willow-glass.jpg

And in response to the, uhhh, unresponsiveness issue of registering touches, it probably has a lot to do with the way they're ignoring the thumb when it's just holding the screen.

Regards,
Tom

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
My point is that I'd rather have a few more grams of weight if that means I don't have any flexing in the screen or that hollowness when tapping.

I prefer the soft sound. It's a nice feedback element since there's obviously no mechanical key to press.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

I'd prefer tens of more grams of weight if that means there is a retina display with 8-10 hours of battery instead of a non-retina screen with 12 hours of battery life.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I'd prefer tens of more grams of weight if that means there is a retina display with 8-10 hours of battery instead of a non-retina screen with 12 hours of battery life.

And Apple would prefer to keep the same profit margin they have now.

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
Who said glass isn't supposed to bend?

And in response to the, uhhh, unresponsiveness issue of registering touches, it probably has a lot to do with the way they're ignoring the thumb when it's just holding the screen.

Regards,
Tom

^

Oh, and I noticed something else... When I put one edge of my Mini inside of a vise and then take a pair of pliers and bend the other edge down, it's like the whole thing bends... Wth Apple?

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
^

Oh, and I noticed something else... When I put one edge of my Mini inside of a vise and then take a pair of pliers and bend the other edge down, it's like the whole thing bends... Wth Apple?

:D

Every Apple product gets criticized for something like this, usually several such things. For the most part, they fall into what I think of as "Hmmm, kinda starchy" complaints. I get that from an old Bloom County strip in which Opus called 911 after eating a green banana or something. The operator asked him what was wrong, and he said something like, "I dunno, it's my tongue. Feels kinda starchy." Then the operator hung up on him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.