Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMiguel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
I'm from Spain, I'm telecomunications engineer and i work everytime with a computer. My computer does not fit my needs nowadays so I need change. Imac 21.5" basic is what i need. I'm trying to wait a bit more, every day I try to persuade myself not to buy a Win8 computer because I'm sure that an iMac worth all the money I've prepared to waste on it but......... IT'S DESPERATING WORK WITH THIS 2Gb RAM SHi+!

Two months waiting and more!! :mad:

maverick72

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
Simple math:

cost of wait versus cost of business money your losing from a old computer.

If you are losing too much money then buy an old imac or a win8 box. Not sure why the nerd rage for a computer.

MacMiguel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
Simple math:

cost of wait versus cost of business money your losing from a old computer.

If you are losing too much money then buy an old imac or a win8 box. Not sure why the nerd rage for a computer.

Not losing money, just losing patience ... :D If i was losing money for sure i'd have bought a Win8

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Yep. It's tough waiting! I'm lucky. I got plenty to keep me busy for the next two months so I don't think about it. In fact, if it comes before Christmas it may actually harm my work flow.

Of course I'll order it as soon as i can though!

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Well the wait = it was clearly not ready. I wonder if the 27" will get pushed back even further.

Overg

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2012
welp...

I am waiting over a year, I am struggling wit some lame lap top.
every one said in march...
after which came the June rumour.
and the September rumour.
and now the October unveil, but no machine.
and no preorder,. mean another month....
this is INSANE!

MacPat333

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
Dubai
This waiting is really ******, but I can live with it. What makes me mad is that Apple is not able to at least announce the prices for the BTO, so people could calculate how much more they have to save to get their "own" iMac configured!

Just give us the BTO option on the website and the prices!

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Are you entirely sure about the killing part?

If you need a better machine for work, then buy one.

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
I'm happier running out a two-month clock than not knowing if the product has been EOLed or what. Which, until late last month, was as plausible a guess as any other.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
Something is not right.

First they pushed the iPad Mini out the door without a Retina Display and now they can't even take a pre-order for a machine that is supposed to ship this month.

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
You chose to make Apple run your life, Then deal with it. It's a computer for .... sake.

Some people need to get out more. You going to carry the iMac to starbucks to show the world your latest up to date iMac? Some of you sound like you will.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
The wait I hard but it's not killing me as much as it was before apple announced it. Now at least I know they are true and I know that I can order soon. That at least stop me from thinking what the heck and stupidly order the 2011 model, which I was close to do many times.

It would be nice to know when they will let you order though. Shouldn't be a secret since the product is announced. Maybe it's still up in the air depending on production rate. If we are lucky it will be possible to order early December.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
The wait is somewhat killing me. My wife's birthday is coming up November 21, and I want to get her one.

:(

I do have to wonder about Apple's strategy of putting something in the store that not actually for sale. IMO, they should at least keep their existing model up until they release their new product.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
A symptom of this maybe?

Former Apple manager: Apple has ‘passed peak’
November 7, 2012
Apple
Former Apple engineering manager Dan Crow believes the company’s best days are behind it, he opines in a column for The Guardian. As Crow writes, “…I think Apple has peaked and the story of the next few years will be one of slow but real decline.” Crow cites “a number of signs” showing that Apple is on a downhill slide, including the recent missteps with iOS 6 Maps and the executive reshuffle that jettisoned Scott Forstall and John Browett — with Browett’s decisions during his brief retail reign being an example of “Apple putting its corporate needs ahead of its customers.” He also refers to the fourth-generation iPad as an “insipid update.”

Crow says that after the death of Steve Jobs, Apple has had issues with balancing hype and product. He concludes that Apple has yet to find its way in the post-Jobs era and the company has “serious structural faults.”

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I've given up on the iMac and ordered a MacMini. I've been waiting for a new Mac desktop model to replace my 2006 iMac since the start of the year.

The MacMini has FireWire, Audio In, HDMI, and you can upgrade the RAM yourself. You don't get any of that in the iMac (OK, the 27" inch can add RAM). The minis have better CPUs as standard.

I've ordered the top CPU, 2.6Ghz i7 with a Fusion drive. I've got two Apple 20" Cinema Displays, but if I didn't, I could still buy one big third-party monitor and still have change instead of getting an iMac.

The only downside is the slightly inferior GPU over the iMac. But it's good enough for my uses. The Geekbench score is higher than a 2008 MacPro.

Last edited:

intz2nu

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
This waiting is really ******, but I can live with it. What makes me mad is that Apple is not able to at least announce the prices for the BTO, so people could calculate how much more they have to save to get their "own" iMac configured!

Just give us the BTO option on the website and the prices!

X2 On this! every Mac I've purchased from Apple was a BTO and them not even being able to tos up the optional upgrades and prices is killing me! They can't even give us an exact date aside of just giving us the month. Damn this is painfull. :p

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
A symptom of this maybe?

Former Apple manager: Apple has ‘passed peak’

I found that article to be a bunch of hogwash. Most specifically, they point out 4 symptoms (Maps, Siri, Poor Retail Focus, and Executive Reshuffle) when they're actually 3 symptoms and 1 cure. Forstall and Browett were awful for Apple, and their exit will make the company better.

.. And anyway, I don't see what that has to do with iMac order dates. I think they just wanted to be prepared and have their iPad ducks in a row. Shouldn't be long now.

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
I'm from Spain, I'm telecomunications engineer and i work everytime with a computer. My computer does not fit my needs nowadays so I need change. Imac 21.5" basic is what i need. I'm trying to wait a bit more, every day I try to persuade myself not to buy a Win8 computer because I'm sure that an iMac worth all the money I've prepared to waste on it but......... IT'S DESPERATING WORK WITH THIS 2Gb RAM SHi+!

Two months waiting and more!! :mad:

remember, the imac is not customizable after you purchase it. think ahead. ;)

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
I've given up on the iMac and ordered a MacMini. I've been waiting for a new Mac desktop model to replace my 2006 iMac since the start of the year.

The MacMini has FireWire, Audio In, HDMI, and you can upgrade the RAM yourself. You don't get any of that in the iMac (OK, the 27" inch can add RAM). The minis have better CPUs as standard.

The only downside is the slightly inferior GPU over the iMac. But it's good enough for my uses. The Geekbench score is higher than a 2008 MacPro.

Better CPUs as standard? The Mini uses the dual and quad core mobile versions of Ivy Bridge. All of the iMac models, from the lowest 21" upwards use the desktop i5 and i7, and the standard ones on the Mini (2.5 dual, 2.3 quad) are not as good as the base CPUs in the iMac (2.7, 2.9, 3.2 quad, all with more L3 cache).

The mobile i7 on the higher stock Mini (and the server) has hyperthreading, but if that is the only reason you think that the Mini line has "better CPUs as standard" then I'm going to have to disagree - HT is not worth the trade off for the vast majority of people between a desktop-level quad i5 and a slower mobile i7.

eswank

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2006
NorCal
The wait is somewhat killing me. My wife's birthday is coming up November 21, and I want to get her one.

:(

I do have to wonder about Apple's strategy of putting something in the store that not actually for sale. IMO, they should at least keep their existing model up until they release their new product.

Apple still has them up in their stores. Best Buy and other resellers have them marked down since the iMac announcement last month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.