Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwlbel

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
Got my iPhone replaced at Apple so it came with the plastic covers on the screen and back. I cut off the bottom pieces to use as a temporary screen protector but when I got a call later in the day, I could barely hear the person on the line and got so mad thinking I got a phone with worse issues than I had before... then I realized the plastic cover doesn't have a cutout for the earpiece lol :p

Happy to know I am not the only one to have done this. I did the exact same thing on the original iPhone.

Last edited:

OCS12

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
Sheboygan, WI USA
Happy to know I am not the only one to have done this. I did the exact same thing one the original iPhone.

When the genius guy at the Apple store was setting my new 5 up for me, he specifically warned me that there wasn't a cut out over the speaker. Apparently this happens alot!

OMN

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
New York, New York
Pocket & hand

Looking for my phone while holding it and gripping it in my pocket but still looking for it asking myself where did i put it :confused:

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
Got my iPhone replaced at Apple so it came with the plastic covers on the screen and back. I cut off the bottom pieces to use as a temporary screen protector but when I got a call later in the day, I could barely hear the person on the line and got so mad thinking I got a phone with worse issues than I had before... then I realized the plastic cover doesn't have a cutout for the earpiece lol :p

Happen the same to me :D hahahahah

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
Well it's not really down to the software, but there was a time when the alarm went off and I "picked up the phone". I then proceeded to swear at the phone first thing in the morning as no-one was answering and was annoyed that I had been woken up :p

Uh....oooookkkkk.....:eek:

----------

Happy to know I am not the only one to have done this. I did the exact same thing on the original iPhone.

Add me to that list, had the speaker turned up all the way. Also had to cut the cover over the home button.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Forgetting to lock the phone and putting it in my pocket. Sent phantom emails of gibberish to my clients.

Letting my girlfriend or someone play with my phone, and then thinking I lost my phone because I try to feel for it just a second later in my pocket.

I do this all the time. My girlfriend has my old 4S now and once and a while she'll want to play with my 5 so I give it to her..seconds later I'm feeling my pockets and am scared when I can't find my 5 :D

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
I can't think of any that I've done, but a friend of mine thought her iPhone was broken because it wouldn't rotate back to portrait orientation... She was holding the phone upside-down.

There's a guy I work with that doesn't understand changing orientation is as simple as rotating the phone. He stands with his hand wrapped around the phone flicking it back and forth because he thinks it needs some kind of momentum to 'push' the screen into another orientation. Even after I showed him how to do it, the next time he went right back to flicking...

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
I was on the verge of taking my brand new Iphone 4 back to apple for a replacement because the "HD" video was all blurry and not crisp like they claimed it would be. Well while videotaping I had an ah ha moment and removed the plastic film half way through the movie and felt like the biggest idiot. I still have that video for the nostalgia.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Sometimes when people text me, I type out the response to their text and forget to send, and then I wonder why they never text back until later when I check and realize I never sent.

One more thing, when people see my iPhone and ask what iPhone it is, I accidentally say the 4, even though it's a 4S. Not that this matters, but I catch myself accidentally doing it. Saying the S does sound kinda douchey.

coolguy4747

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Listen the music with the new earpod, sometimes I recalled that last time the sound was extremely awesome, this time the sound lacks of base and lack of everything. I tried to closed all the app and reboot the IP5.. finally I realized that there is a Right and Left earpod specificly for this new kind

Because of the shape it hasn't mattered as much before, but all apple earbuds have had specific left and right buds.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I know a parent who for some reason was sharing the same Apple ID as their teenager. The parent had a few inappropriate photos in their photo stream, which then appeared on the teenager's phone. :rolleyes:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I have broke both my iPhones the same way, and in the same place. I will be holding it in my hand, going out to the car with my mother, and then will be standing around in our tile sunroom waiting, and then she'd take forever to come out, then ask me to come in, then BAM! I drop my phone because she startles me while I'm looking at it for whatever reason.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
I have broke both my iPhones the same way, and in the same place. I will be holding it in my hand, going out to the car with my mother, and then will be standing around in our tile sunroom waiting, and then she'd take forever to come out, then ask me to come in, then BAM! I drop my phone because she startles me while I'm looking at it for whatever reason.

That's pretty funny. I guess it's time to put carpet in the sun room!

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
So when I got my iPhone 4, I was paranoid about dropping it, so I bought an Otterbox Defender case for it.

Then one day I reach for my phone in my pocket, but because the rubbery outer coating of the Defender case is a bit "sticky", it was a bit tricky to remove from my pocket as it stuck to the fabric. I pull a bit harder and it suddenly lets go, and flies out of my hands and across the room, landing on the rug.

I started using an Otterbox Commuter case instead from that day on :eek:

Last edited:

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Oh, and I too have made the mistake of thinking I was recording a great video clip when in fact it was NOT recording.

It was the most beautiful fireworks show I've ever seen, and I'm still sad I didn't get a single second of it on video :(

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
Have you ever had a realization or duh moment with your iPhone's hardware/software?

Software: I thought the only way to listen to voice mail was to click the speaker button rather than holding my ears up to the phones face to listen like any other regular call.

Hardware: Going into an Apple store to complain about one of the speakers not working and finding out one of them is the mic.

Let me hear yours!

You know how many times I have had a customer try to bring back an iPhone for one of the speakers being out? I always have to gently tell them one is a mic without trying to make them feel too stupid. I had a guy argue with me about it once. I told him to call me and I had to cover the one side while talking to him to prove it.

Another person tried to return their phone because they said it constantly lost signal, but the weird thing was it was only happening at her boyfriends house. Turns out her boyfriend basically lived in a cabin clear the hell in some mountains...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.