Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iCaleb

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2010
USA
What a mess......doesn't Apple test things out before they put them on store shelves? :mad:

I was waiting so long for the 2012 mini's but I guess I will have to wait longer.

Hopefully they can push out an update that will solve the problem.

It would be awful if they couldn't fix it with an update.......they would have to recall all of the hardware.

I wish apple would have their own support members on this forum because most of the time users are left in the dark when a problem arises not knowing when a patch is coming.

Apple needs to get their sh#t together...........How embarrassing.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
What a mess......doesn't Apple test things out before they put them on store shelves? :mad:

I was waiting so long for the 2012 mini's but I guess I will have to wait longer.

Hopefully they can push out an update that will solve the problem.

It would be awful if they couldn't fix it with an update.......they would have to recall all of the hardware.

I wish apple would have their own support members on this forum because most of the time users are left in the dark when a problem arises not knowing when a patch is coming.

Apple needs to get their sh#t together...........How embarrassing.

Yes, they just make these things and throw them on the market without ever testing them.

Why should Apple put their own support on a 3rd party site? :confused: You do realize that Apple has their own support forum right? http://discussions.apple.com

This is an issue effecting only a small percentage of all users.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I also get the blackouts in Windows 7 so I don't think it is a driver issue.

Groove, thanks, this is bad news... this means the fix is in Intel's hands, and not certain if firmware or hardware is the issue at this point.

dogmusic

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2012
Ontario
My symptoms definitely last longer than 1-2 seconds. Usually my monitor goes straight to a static screen (though, I guess it might go blank for 1 second before hand). The static screen does not correct itself. Or rather, I haven't waited long enough for it to correct itself. The most I have waited is 1-2mins.

If I press the Power button on the back for a short time, that usually clears up the static and gives me just a black screen. If I then press the Power button 1-2 more times (always a short press), and Alt-Tab away from whatever application I was using, I can usually get the desktop back.

I'm not sure which of the steps is getting me back the desktop (i.e. Alt-Tab or mulitple Power button presses) or if it's the combination, but I do know in order to at least get the snow off the screen, the first Power button press is required.

Have you tried just turning your monitor power button off and on? That works for me with the snow screen.

chrunck

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
I picked up a mDP to DVI adapter after work today and switched my monitor to that. Played about an hour of Diablo with no black screens yet. Fingers crossed that it keeps working for the time being, though I still hope for a fix down the line.

Jig3n

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
In all honesty, this issue is likely present for less than 1% of new mini owners. It just seems more widespread since all people with issues gather in just a couple places.

Good point. I decided to swap the defective one out for a new one...I'll see how that goes.

tperry

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
East Texas
I too have this problem and are using the apple hdmi to dvi adapter

Anyone here is using only hdmi to Hdmi and are having this same problem?

(Raising hand waving it back and forth like it's in a hurricane). Me, and it''s getting down right aggravating. Took a mid grade 2011 back for this (and it had no problems). 100% stock - in fact, it started doing it within a few hours of me setting it up. It's hooked in via HDMI to a 27" LG monitor that I purchased the same day I got the mini.

jollino

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Chieti, Italy
Groove, thanks, this is bad news... this means the fix is in Intel's hands, and not certain if firmware or hardware is the issue at this point.

It's in Apple's hands. As has been stated previously, there's a bug with the Memory Reference Code in the BIOS/EFI for Ivy Bridge. All that Apple has to do is provide a firmware upgrade to MRC 1.5 or later.
See http://communities.intel.com/message/171244, they clearly state that we should "contact [our] system or motherboard manufacturer for a system BIOS update for [our] system", and that's why everyone with this problem, no matter how occasional, should give a call to Apple to have it put on file. The more people let them know they have this issue, the earlier they're going to release the upgrade.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
It's in Apple's hands. As has been stated previously, there's a bug with the Memory Reference Code in the BIOS/EFI for Ivy Bridge. All that Apple has to do is provide a firmware upgrade to MRC 1.5 or later.
See http://communities.intel.com/message/171244, they clearly state that we should "contact [our] system or motherboard manufacturer for a system BIOS update for [our] system", and that's why everyone with this problem, no matter how occasional, should give a call to Apple to have it put on file. The more people let them know they have this issue, the earlier they're going to release the upgrade.

Nope, read a little closer. The issue IS NOT FIXED in >MRC1.5 or later, per quote below:

"I can confirm with Intel DZ77RE-75K (bios 53) and the latest Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver released this month, I am still experiencing flicker. It is rare, but it still does happen. It looks like it's a random event happening once every day or two, and I use my computer many hours a day. After going totally black, the screen recovers after a second or two. I guess whatever they did in MRC 1.5 didn't totally get rid of it."

Intel has to come with a fix first, then roll it out to Apple and other OEMs, who then customize the MFC for their mobo's.

Last edited:

jollino

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Chieti, Italy
Nope, read a little closer. The issue IS NOT FIXED in >MRC1.5 or later, per quote below:
"I can confirm with Intel DZ77RE-75K (bios 53) and the latest Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver released this month, I am still experiencing flicker. It is rare, but it still does happen. It looks like it's a random event happening once every day or two, and I use my computer many hours a day. After going totally black, the screen recovers after a second or two. I guess whatever they did in MRC 1.5 didn't totally get rid of it."

Intel has to come with a fix first, then roll it out to Apple and other OEMs.

My bad, I had missed that. Still, it's a good thing that it's an Intel issue— they have many more customers than Apple alone. I wonder if this happens on the Ivy Bridge MacBook Pros too, and if it will affect the new iMacs.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
My bad, I had missed that. Still, it's a good thing that it's an Intel issue— they have many more customers than Apple alone. I wonder if this happens on the Ivy Bridge MacBook Pros too, and if it will affect the new iMacs.

Seems a lot of PC OEMs are affected, mostly with mobo's with HDMI/DP, such as Gigabyte, Zotac, Intel, etc., so any Mac with HDMI/DP is likely susceptible. However, the fix may be mobo specific, as one ASRock board was fixed with a BIOS update.

slickadam

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
Germany & Hungary
I have my Mini for 2 weeks and never noticed this issue (with TB to VGA adapter). Yesterday, I found this topic, so I switched to the HDMI to DVI adapter aaaaaand... it's just happened. black screen for 2-3 seconds. now I'm pissed off. I still have 1 day to send back this device to Apple...

iCaleb

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2010
USA
I have my Mini for 2 weeks and never noticed this issue (with TB to VGA adapter). Yesterday, I found this topic, so I switched to the HDMI to DVI adapter aaaaaand... it's just happened. black screen for 2-3 seconds. now I'm pissed off. I still have 1 day to send back this device to Apple...

I'd return it for now and I'd just keep checking this thread until a software update is available and then re-buy another new mini.

With Apple you never know how soon they will fix something.

It could be days weeks or months from now.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
I have only dragged a HDMI cable out of the box for this. (I've been using my existing miniDP->DVI without issue).

It didn't take long for mr Black Screen and his pal Static'o'leary to show their faces. I booted the HDMI cable back into its box (also the display quality is bloody awful compared to the DVI cable on the same screen).

Next I tried the apple HDMI->DVI adaptor as supplied with my 2012 mini. this too allowed mr Black Screen and Static in. switched the DVI plug back into the miniDP->HDMI and all is once again well (no issues).

So my testing in my case shows the HDMI output to be at fault (with or without using a HDMI cable pure or a HDMI->DVI adaptor). My screen, DVI cable and miniDP port all appear to me non-faulty.

now I guess the wait begins for apple to a)admit it and b)solve it :) - hopefully before January as thats when I plan to get a second screen to match my current one and then of course I shall need the use of that HDMI->DVI....

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
I posted on another users thread regarding displays and the issues I have had with the new Mini's. Apparently I am not alone as Apple is aware and I have a case number now. For those of you with the new mini's, the symptoms manifest for me with the following:

System will randomly go to a black screen for 1-3 seconds.
Sometimes it will turn the display to snow (like it switches the monitor to a resolution it can't handle)

Happens about 4-6 times per day.

Wow, I'm seeing the exact same symptoms on my new Mini as well.

Carl%R

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
Sweden
I'm getting very quick flashes at random intervals. What's worrying is that I'm using a DP-DVI adapter, there's no HDMI involved.

Jig3n

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
Just replaced the stock quad core mac mini with a new one last night and had a screen blank out a minute ago,:confused:

teohyc

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
Received mine today.

Just had the first black out. :eek:

It's a customized model. i7 Quad 2.6Ghz with Fusion Drive. Using their HDMI-DVI cable to Dell U2711.

Snowcake

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
I have only dragged a HDMI cable out of the box for this. (I've been using my existing miniDP->DVI without issue).

It didn't take long for mr Black Screen and his pal Static'o'leary to show their faces. I booted the HDMI cable back into its box (also the display quality is bloody awful compared to the DVI cable on the same screen).

Next I tried the apple HDMI->DVI adaptor as supplied with my 2012 mini. this too allowed mr Black Screen and Static in. switched the DVI plug back into the miniDP->HDMI and all is once again well (no issues).

So my testing in my case shows the HDMI output to be at fault (with or without using a HDMI cable pure or a HDMI->DVI adaptor). My screen, DVI cable and miniDP port all appear to me non-faulty.

now I guess the wait begins for apple to a)admit it and b)solve it :) - hopefully before January as thats when I plan to get a second screen to match my current one and then of course I shall need the use of that HDMI->DVI....

What do you mean by: "Static in"

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Why do some people have this issue and others don't?

It can't be related to the port you're using if we have reports from both HDMI users and Thunderbolt/Mini DisplayPort users. And if people using Windows 7 are having the problem, it can't be a driver issue.

Westyfield2 said:
Intel forums reckon it's BIOS/Firmware, so that would be OS independent.

But all Mac Mini 2012 users are using the same EFI and firmware, no? Shouldn't that mean everyone has the problem? Does the display you use influence this in some way?

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
Count me in as getting the snowy screens as well. Crap, was hoping one of the cables had gone faulty.

Mid 2009 Mini, connected via HDMI/DVI to a Samsung TV. Already experienced the bug where I'd get a kernel panic if I attempted to shut down while the HDMI cable was connected...now this.

I've had Macs since 2005 and seriously never had as many bugs as with Snow Leopard.

jollino

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Chieti, Italy
Just wondering, what SMC and boot ROM versions does anyone have?

I have this:
Code:
  Model Identifier:	Macmini6,2
  Processor Name:	Intel Core i7
  Processor Speed:	2.3 GHz
  Boot ROM Version:	MM61.0106.B00
  SMC Version (system):	2.8f0
and I experienced one or no black screens a day for the first few days, now they seem not to happen anymore (while I'm watching, anyway :) )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.