Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scapal

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2010
iCloud & distributed storage

For the next OSX, I see the main focus on the cloud and distributed storage.

By distributed storage, I mean 'LAN sync' the way dropbox does, that is if an iCloud content is present on another computer on you LAN, get/sync it from there.
The TimeCapsule like once rumoured could be like an iCloud caching proxy.

The distributed storage system would ensure your content has replica on other computer in your LAN, a DHT system where a backup restore would be like a BitTorrent download.
iCloud could house specific content replication, and a bit like iTunes Match, it could do storage deduplication so those wouldn't consume your storage quota.
So, on the easy level, it would just have to inventory what OS version you have, what app from the App Store you installed and only really copy your files/preferences (and remaining uncharted apps). For the remaining files, the same dedup could be done at the storage level.

Distributed storage/services, locally or across the cloud is, IMHO, the next big thing. The next 5 years will see the end of (no very scalable) centralised NAS and SAN as we know it.
Loosely-consistent DHT with iCloud and your computers being loosely connected nodes, a bit like Dropbox is doing it with files and the LAN sync feature, except that you could reserve some disk space on your device for the sole purpose of content replication.
This last feature could be part of the next TimeCapsule, acting as a local node. This all make sense since the TimeCapsule is already supposed to host a quite recent version of your files. This also mean that if you have tons of new pictures/video that should be uploaded to your photostream, they could go quickly through the TimeCapsule so you don't have to wait to disconnect and take away your Macbook, iPhone or iPad...
Same thing with AppleTV, the TimeCapsule would act as a local node of the iCloud/iTune DHT hosting a (or part of a) local copy of your pictures, movies, music... further removing the need for real storage on many devices.

The TimeCapsule could become, in a way, a zero-config, disposable server.
You want more power, just add more TimeCapsules, it will bring you more local storage, more distributed IO load...

I hope this will also finally be a way to easily share iPhoto content so you can have a consolidated view of family pictures/events/albums even without having to keep your Macbook powered on with iPhoto on.

Even for the web, I can see future URL being more like torrent magnet url, so you wouldn't have to bother with such things as load-balancers, location aware DNS..., just deploy your servers and announce/seed your services/files.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I look forward to more iOS integration. Don't know why everyone is so against it. Even maybe a bit of OSX in iOS 7 :)

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
I'm hoping that CoreStorage has been getting more focus than just Fusion Drive, as I'd like to see integrity checking and maybe even error correction as options. I wouldn't mind a bit of overhead if it meant that I could remain safe in the knowledge that my files are still as they were when I saved them!

It's also a pretty important step for ensuring the smooth running of Fusion Drive and Filevault, as errors in encrypted blocks are much worse than errors in unencrypted ones, since a single bit discrepancy can spell serious trouble. Likewise with file tiering, moving blocks around should be able to verify that what was moved matches what made it to the drive, and stays that way.

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Wolf Wolf

Cats are old hat
It's canine time

if (OSX 10.9 == Wolf) then {
OSX 10.10 == [ Gray Wolf | Snow Wolf | Warez Wolf | Kevin Costner ]
} endifferent :cool:

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
OSX Bigglesworth

mr-bigglesworth-austin-powers-international-man-of-mystery--645-75.jpg

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
+1 to you being insane -- nobody expects you to buy new hardware every OS release. one of the valuable things about Macs is how many years of service they get...my 2006 imac is still in use, running ML.

----------

unless youre an electrical engineer on the apple hardware team, i doubt youre qualified to say why or why not hardware-related features like powernap should function on given hardware.

Doesn't Mountain Lion require a Mid 2007 iMac or newer?

Peter Stegemann

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2012
I'm still on 10.7.4 and thinking about skipping 10.8 and waiting for 10.9. Thoughts?

I've got to use 10.8 at work and even though I have a free upgrade for 10.8 at home, I won't install it there. I see no benefits in 10.8 that are worth the hassle with all the new bugs and problems that where introduced with 10.8. Actually, I think since 10.6 quality went down, gaining more speed with 10.8.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Now, if you look back 3 years ago, we had Snow Leopard and today, we have Mountain Lion: it's easier to see the "big" upgrades.

Lepoard -> snow leopard
Lion -> Mountain Lion
3G -> 3GS
4 -> 4S

I think you see the similarity.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
ZFS probably isn't likely, but it seems like they should be able to implement similar functionality in an update to HFS. Fusion Drive seems to be a sign they're heading that direction (and may already be further in that direction already without the public being aware of it).

Error detection/correction is a huge one I really want to see.

Honestly, at this point it's hard for me to think of many features I'm missing. I'm way more interested in optimizing the OS so it runs more efficiently, keep it lean and mean. Just look at Logic, it generally gets more CPU power on 10.6.8 - if they could get 10.9 to run as well or better, that would appeal to me more than anything else.

drblank

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
I want something big. I'm tired of integration with my itoys.

Well, first off, Apple, like Microsoft has to have integration with the other devices they make. That's an absolute must for them. If they didn't, there would be major disappointment.

Now, with all of that aside, what would like to see in the next release(s) of OS X that it doesn't have that could be a major positive impact on the platform?

I just curious.

For me, I think an overhaul in the overall aesthetics, but not necessarily a makeover like what Microsoft did with the XBox GUI on Windows. I know some of it is purely superficial, but the background screen that they've had is getting a little tired, and that's what everyone sees, so just having more vivid spectacular backgrounds would at least give the impression that it's a new OS version.

I think the apps might need some updating in terms of the features.

----------

Lepoard -> snow leopard
Lion -> Mountain Lion
3G -> 3GS
4 -> 4S

I think you see the similarity.

Well, in a 12 month period, I don't think we're going to get any more of a major upgrade. Obviously, Apple has been getting an average of "200 to 250 new features, but some of the features have been subtle, or related to China (which is important for the future success of Apple). But it's kind of hard to have HUGE drastic changes since there isn't a a lot of time in between updates.

I think Ive is probably going to have a overall look makeover, which might be great, depending on his sense of taste.

----------

ZFS probably isn't likely, but it seems like they should be able to implement similar functionality in an update to HFS. Fusion Drive seems to be a sign they're heading that direction (and may already be further in that direction already without the public being aware of it).

Error detection/correction is a huge one I really want to see.

Honestly, at this point it's hard for me to think of many features I'm missing. I'm way more interested in optimizing the OS so it runs more efficiently, keep it lean and mean. Just look at Logic, it generally gets more CPU power on 10.6.8 - if they could get 10.9 to run as well or better, that would appeal to me more than anything else.

Yeah, I tend to agree here. I always thought they should include a lot of the functionality of various third party utility apps integrated within the OS. Some of the features 3rd parties put in should be already there. I know some of these developers might be a little upset, but some of the features are basic UNIX commands written with a GUI front end.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
not only the menu bar to be improved aesthetically and by animation,

but also that friggin login menu. its ugly. the original login view on snow leopard was much nicer, cleaner, and apple like.

drblank

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
One thing I would like to see is that people that purchase an AppleCare Support plan should get free OS X updates during the life of the AppleCare Support plan.

That would a great incentive to get AppleCare.

----------

not only the menu bar to be improved aesthetically and by animation,

but also that friggin login menu. its ugly. the original login view on snow leopard was much nicer, cleaner, and apple like.

Yeah, I know animations might be cool for certain things, but they don't want to overbloat the OS too much, nor take up time to perform certain tasks.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
One thing I would like to see is that people that purchase an AppleCare Support plan should get free OS X updates during the life of the AppleCare Support plan.

That would a great incentive to get AppleCare.

----------

Yeah, I know animations might be cool for certain things, but they don't want to overbloat the OS too much, nor take up time to perform certain tasks.

i understand that.

but it just feels a bit cheap/paint edited looking when the text just appears different per window. could look more apple in style if there was just a more subtle transition/animation of fading the text, or an alterante idea is have the the text swipe off screen somehow and the new text on the menu bar for the current app swipes in its place. like space swiping or something. i wouldnt mind if the menu bar look like the same as that frosted glass dock either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.