Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Well I am not surprised, they got to honor the man who gave them the computers that do all of their animations on.

You know they're not using macs and straight-off-the-shelf software to do all that, right? It's super-powerful workstation PCs with proprietary code, especially now that nothing Apple makes is professional enough to handle what they need to do.

koolmagicguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
New York
This is not to belittle the well meaning of their effort, but if he were alive, I don't think Steve would want to be attributed to an UGLY looking building and that sign!!! Aesthetically, it's just not Steve...
/
/

Hahahahahaha!!! He played a big role in designing it. Didn't you read the article?

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
yup, cars, cars 2, brave, and they are sequeling/prequeling monsters & nemo

that can't be good

It's the way of Hollywood now. Why create when you can make a ton of money by recycling, and we encourage it by buying this stuff. It's easy money.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
It's the way of Hollywood now. Why create when you can make a ton of money by recycling, and we encourage it by buying this stuff. It's easy money.

It's the way now? Man, I dunno. I think it's a tried and true technique for over half a century. Mighty Joe Young anyone? ^_^

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
doesn't quite roll off the tongue does it?

Steve Jobs Building

how ***** creative.

how about You're Holding it Wrong Building

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Why being a A@@?

Cause its fun.... Fun to do bad things

latarian-milton.jpg

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
This is not to belittle the well meaning of their effort, but if he were alive, I don't think Steve would want to be attributed to an UGLY looking building and that sign!!! Aesthetically, it's just not Steve...
/
/

You know they're not using macs and straight-off-the-shelf software to do all that, right? It's super-powerful workstation PCs with proprietary code, especially now that nothing Apple makes is professional enough to handle what they need to do.

More shots.... I can see Macs and non-Macs plus it's a cool looking place inside: http://www.officesnapshots.com/2012/07/16/pixar-headquarters-and-the-legacy-of-steve-jobs/

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
It's the way now? Man, I dunno. I think it's a tried and true technique for over half a century. Mighty Joe Young anyone? ^_^

You're right! I gotta give you credit for that!

----------

doesn't quite roll off the tongue does it?

Steve Jobs Building

how ***** creative.

how about You're Holding it Wrong Building

They decided not to go with "The 'It's Crap!' Building"

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

that can't be good

Cars/Cars 2 havent really taken off in Europe, at least not in the UK. Nemo and Monsters were a huge success though, so they will likely do very well.

It'll be interesting to see what happens now that disney own Industrial Light and Magic as well (which was a division of LucasFilm) as they started doing 'pixar style' animation (search for 'Rango Trailer' on YouTube). Working together they could produce some pretty impressive stuff. Whatever they do has got to be better than the competition, who seem to release Madagascar and Ice Age sequels like there's no tomorrow!

Pixar do currently have 6 films in development.

----------

Steve, the thermonuclear war is not going so well. :(

What the hell has that got to do with Pixar?

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Well I am not surprised, they got to honor the man who gave them the computers that do all of their animations on.

FYI Pixar use Windows, OS X and Linux, and use their own developed software called RenderMan. Given the size of the renders they do, they will be using RenderMan Server on a bunch of Linux servers.

Interestingly Industrial Light and Magic, which Disney now own as part of the LucasFilm buyout, also use RenderMan.

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
/
/

The ugly building he helped design?

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008

That's what I thought before I watched the making of Pixar movies like Toy Story. I was paying attention what kind of computers they used and I believed it's windows. Considering the software they're using there's no doubt they don't use macs epecially for rendering those animations.

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona

that can't be good

Cars 2 was a clear dud, but Brave was awesome. My perspective may be colored by the fact that two of my three young children are daughters, but as far as they are concerned it's just about the best movie ever made. (Which for kids is the gold standard, and was met by most previous Pixar films.) I suspect a lot of folks just still aren't ready to have a female protagonist carry the story. Look at the disappointing box office of Salt, which was made from a great script and had a bankable star in Jolie. Old ingrained notions die hard.

Now with John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton, et al. doing work under the Disney Animation banner as well, we should see high quality output across the board. I enjoyed every minute of Wreck-It Ralph and my kids are all anxious to see it this weekend.

CraigJ

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2009
No they're not. Pixar is a unit of Disney...hence Jobs selling it to them for $7 billion.
And unless something has changed, Jobs' estate owns about 7% of DIS.

----------

You're right! I gotta give you credit for that!

----------

They decided not to go with "The 'It's Crap!' Building"

Personally I'd go with "Bag Of Hurt Building" :D

tuamtuem

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2009
For public's view, he deserve that.

But I think he doesn't care whether there is his name on the building or not. haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.