Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
We can be sure that they didn't do it for us. No doubt it fits better with the newly arraigned internal components.

I prefer it on the top so my iPhone doesn't have to sit in my car's cup holder upside down, but it would be nicer on the bottom when I'm listening to the phone as it lays on my desk. So, I'm 'meh' about the change.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I like it on the bottom, perfect for taking in and out of my pocket. Also, when i'm in the car I charge my phone so I already have one cable sticking out of the bottom, so this is better for listening to music through my AUX plug as well, don't have a cable sticking out of both sides of my iPhone!

mobutt

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
I prefer it on the bottom as well for the same reason.

Do you have a measuring stick attached to your head so that you're always holding your iPhone exactly 12" from your face? I do. I'm hardcore.

Lmao that was my exact reaction, such a useless and stupid statement.

mattroman246

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
just seems natural to me, when i put my phone in my pocket i dont have to flip it around first. when im listening to music the cable doesnt run over the back of the phone.

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
Could be so when you use it on docks there's another hole for something to go in to make sure the phone stays in place and sturdy? Not sure if that was mentioned or not. Either way I prefer the old way.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I don't mind the jack being on the bottom, I just wish the music app would flip upside down when the phone is upside down. Sometimes I put my phone in the cup holder in my car and if I want to plug it in (to charge, or for music), the screen won't flip with it.

Joesmith13245

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Second, my last iPhone had "water damage" from rain falling into the headphone jack. I don't have to worry about that anymore. Apple gave me a really hard time replacing it even though it was the only sensor faintly triggered.

This.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
I just wish the music app would flip upside down when the phone is upside down.

Well as long it's only the music app. I prefer that there is a top side of the device. If you're lying on your side and browsing and in landscape mode, like how it won't rotate upside down to the top side. But this is possible to be app dependent. Skype for some reason will rotate upside down when everything else will not.

Phoboss

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
I prefer it

It means that the phone sits upside-down in my pocket, so when reaching in to pull it out, it's facing the right way up by the time it reaches the retina-reccomended viewing distance of 12 inches from my face.

exactly why I prefer it like that aswell.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
I was just wondering why Apple moved the headphone jack to the bottom of the phone.
At the gym, it makes it impossible to put the phone on the treadmill, when typing a text the headphone is in the way, I have the Bose headphones which have a flat connector, when I try to connect it to the charger, it is in the way.
Why the change and purpose?
I honestly don't like it.

When I saw this question I lol'd bc this was my exact same reaction when they first announced it.

Like, "how is that a feature?!?"

At first I too didn't like it either. But honestly I've come to say, for my purposes since I don't go to the gym, it works out great.

Reason being, I keep it my pocket. When I pull it out, it's SO much easier to get to my home screen.

Small feature? Yes. Would griping about it bein at the top be a first world problem? Yes. But it's nice to have if you keep it in your pocket.

As far as treadmill, I can see that being a pain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.