Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
The way Jony Ives designs phones so thinner and lighter, Apple will soon have to offer a "build it yourself" option. You pay $80.00 less and receive a box of parts and a link to online instructions.
You know, the PC/Android users would love that!

----------

Why would it? It's not a conspiracy as much as a fact. Of course they hold back supply to create artificial demand. EVERY iPhone has had "supply issues," or so they call it. You'd think that if they really wanted to have enough, they'd make it so that there are enough made in advance.
:rolleyes: Way to not be able to understand: economics, or even simple math.

Last edited by a moderator:

D A

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
I ordered mine on the 21st of September and I've still haven't gotten it. May get it on Friday, but I'm not betting on it.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
The entire situation is ridiculous. It's almost impossible to get an iPhone currently. And we are talking about 1,5 months after the launch.

Blame those human rights guys. Back in my day, we'd to break out the heavy duty whip. A good flogging should get these workers cranking them out faster. Yeah, back in the old days...

2012-10-01-Game-Systems.png

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I ordered mine on the 21st of September and I've still haven't gotten it. May get it on Friday, but I'm not betting on it.

I walked into an Apple store 5 days after launch and had a phone within 20 minutes. 32 GB too, not even some exotic 64 GB model.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Since they can't keep up with demand, maybe Apple/Foxconn should consider opening up additional factories -- in the U.S. A long shot I know.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Why would it? It's not a conspiracy as much as a fact. Of course they hold back supply to create artificial demand. EVERY iPhone has had "supply issues," or so they call it. You'd think that if they really wanted to have enough, they'd make it so that there are enough made in advance.

Every single Electric or Hybrid car ever produced by any company has had supply issues.

Is this a conspiracy too? Or is it true that both these cars and the iPhone are difficult to make and have high demand, thus creating the supply issues.

neonmd

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2010
I have managed to get 2 already.
Go online after 10 pm.
Order
Select in store pick up
type in your zip code
look for store listed as having availability( I am lucky enough to live in a area with multiple stores close.)
wait for e-mail/text the next day
drive to store after work and pick it up

Bchagey

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2011
Coming up on 5 weeks since I ordered my phone..please hurry Foxconn! I need that LTE!

MrDragon1

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
I ordered a Verizon iPhone 5 black 16GB on Oct 23 and I just received a notice that it shipped today Nov 7. Just sharing my experience with it being just over 2 weeks for shipment. My original quoted ship date was Nov 16 so its actually shipped 9 days early :)

It also shipped Fedex 2 day for anyone wondering and should be delivered on Friday.

Edit: and I like to tinker on stuff so I would have taken them up on the save $80 to build it myself.. especially if it meant getting it right away :)

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
I'm still pretty surprised at how well the iPhone 5 is selling...it's a lovely phone and everything but it's not hugely different. I was expecting it to sell the same as the previous models...shows how much I know..:eek:

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
By the time some of you guys receive or order iphone5, it's more likely the upgrade version would arrive.

ALMF

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
the comments about do this after 10PM and pick up Apple store are irrelevant as most people who buy the products are not within a reasonable distance to Apple stores.

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY

No offense meant, but you'd be a lousy production manager. :) You don't want to gear up to produce 5 million of something every two weeks if after two months demand is going to decline to 2 million every two weeks. There's a surge of orders at the beginning of the new product's run and production can't keep up with that because it would be unprofitable to build factories big enough to produce at that rapid rate but then run way below capacity the rest of the year. It's a juggling act. Few products can compare to that huge demand upon release, that's why we as consumers haven't had to think thru the causes and effects.

Btw I stood in line less than an hour to get my black 64GB Vz -- the day after the phone's premiere. Is it really harder to get one now than then?

Last edited:

Russell L

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
San Francisco
Just go onto apple.com right at 10pm and order an iphone 5 with in store pickup.
It'll be waiting for you the next day.

I just did that yesterday. Delivery was 4 to 6 weeks
In store pick up less than 12 hours.

You need to buy the phone between like 10pm and 10:02pm or the in store pick up option disappears b/c everyone already snapped up all the iphones.

It's how apple is controlling the crazy demand and why you can't just walk into a store and buy one.

They have them but you just need to reserve one at 10pm for in store pickup.

I tried this for several days with no luck until a week ago, when miraculously one appeared at my first-choice store. Of course I nabbed it and am now the happy owner of an iPhone 5!

App-Netzwerk

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2012
Europe
Production Capacity.

As an investor, I have three key questions with respect to the last quarter of 2012. Since demand is very high for iPhone 5 and iPad Mini, I think the bootle neck for revenue is the production output.

My questions:
1.) How many iPhones will be build in Q4 2012 (calender)
2.) How many iPad Mini will be build in Q4 2012 (calender)
3.) When will China Mobile be included as a carrier?

I am convinced that Apple will sell as many iPhone 5′s and iPad Mini’s as can be build. From there, we can calculate the revenue numbers for this quarter.

Interestingly, T. Cook was quite bullish on the production capacity and its improvement during the end of October earnings call. However, iPhone 5 and iPad Mini are sold out in all stores in Europe. I am wayting now since Sept 21 for my iPhone 5 ordered via T-Mobile: Delivery is scheduled for CW49 ...

Please respond!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.