Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

secured2k

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
Carefully said by using the word, "could". I have seen a few people with LifeProof cases for the 4/4S with a screen protector and they show off their waterproofed cases without ever having an issue.

LifeProof's official FAQ answer is as follows:
Our LifeProof cases have a durable and scratch resistant screen cover for your device, which also has an anti-glare coating. We do not advise any additional screen protectors placed on the device because it may negatively affect the touchscreen sensitivity as well as the optical clarity of your device.

and
This FAQ
LifeProof Cases are created with dimensions to specifically fit the device itself. Products that change the dimensions of the LifeProof case would not be compatible with our case. While the Zagg InvisibleSHIELD does not affect the dimensions of the iPhone, it introduces a thin layer over the screen which, when coupled with the LifeProof case, may affect touchscreen sensitivity as well as the optical clarity. For this reason it is not recommended that you use an InvisibleSHIELD with your LifeProof case - the case will keep your phone more than safe enough!

Miao Ying

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2010
Cause even adding a tiny MM(millimeter) of thickness to the phone can screw up the waterproof aspect of the case and might cause it to leak around the edges or corners because it might not be closed tightly around the phone, even though you think it's secure. Case was molded to fit perfectly with just the phone.

I don' t know about everyone else but, my copy of this case has bits of padding where the earpiece speaker is, on the area where it contacts the home button and just below the home button making the screen protector impossible to be flush with the iphone's screen by making that gap inevitable. Personally it looks fine to me, but I assume if this were meant to be by design I don't think the watersealing would be compromised, would it?

mrbunglez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
I don' t know about everyone else but, my copy of this case has bits of padding where the earpiece speaker is, on the area where it contacts the home button and just below the home button making the screen protector impossible to be flush with the iphone's screen by making that gap inevitable. Personally it looks fine to me, but I assume if this were meant to be by design I don't think the watersealing would be compromised, would it?

You never know. Just a warning though cause its not recommended.

mrbunglez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
Mrbunglez, was you back piece real thin and curved like a banana?

Nope. Buts its supposed to be thin, if it wasn't it'd be bulky. Try snapping it on the case with phone inside it's supposed to sit flush with the phone when you snap the case together. If its still a bit curved with phone inside and it snapped shut with obvious gaps might sound like you got a defect.

mrbunglez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
When it is separate from the front piece it has a slight curve on mine. When put together this it is no longer apparent.

----------

Duly noted :). Loving this thing. Pretty happy they designed in a lanyard connection too

Yes I love the lanyard attachment spot. Best part of the case and much needed.

malochico1

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2012
am i the only one here who can careless about how the case is, as long as its water proof? i bought the case for my 4s and used it roughly 20-30 times when i traveled or went to the pool/beach etc. i love taking pictures and this lets me do whatever i want while i am travelling or doing something active. Besides that, i keep my phone naked since it has ghost armor shield all around.

if i can use this case on my trips, fun activities without worrying and be able to capture pictures where ever i am, i will happily pay $80.00. so far i have used it while skiing, used it under water for recording and taking pictures snorkling in hawaii, at my house pool and even listen to music while in shower.

no other case does that, so why complain?

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
That's true.. Which brings me to a question. Can this case be used for only these special occasions? Because I've heard that this case shouldn't be taken off and installed all the time, is this true or can this be a myth? Because I too use my phone naked around town with a full body shield and pure sp. I would love to have this case just so I can use it when I travel and possibly just for work. Will these plans work with this case?

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
Definitely not possible to get the screen protector flush with the phone. If you are a fast fingered person you should expect issues and just have to slow it down some. On the other hand, case is good for what it is advertised for, protection.

blkonblk17

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
Here's a few shots..

lafoto1.jpg

lafoto4.jpg
lafoto2.jpg

lafoto5.jpg

Jakkejakkejakke

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Here's a few shots.

Thanks for the pictures, is it possible to make a video of how the sensitivity decrease of the screen is? You can't find any video's on YT of the 4/4S/5 case where they demonstrate the typing, navigating touch-experience is.

And this is one of my biggest concerns of the case.

Thanks in advance ;)

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
Thanks for the pictures, is it possible to make a video of how the sensitivity decrease of the screen is? You can't find any video's on YT of the 4/4S/5 case where they demonstrate the typing, navigating touch-experience is.

And this is one of my biggest concerns of the case.

Thanks in advance ;)

Can't make a video but towards the top and bottom is where you can clearly feel having to press down on the screen to register contact. Middle of the screen is fine.

Jakkejakkejakke

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Can't make a video but towards the top and bottom is where you can clearly feel having to press down on the screen to register contact. Middle of the screen is fine.

Thanks for the response :).

Can you insert the Apple's Earpods without the adapter ?
Do you see yourself using it on a daily basis with the the constant difficulties you face due to the screenprotector ?
Sorry just read that this isn't going to be the daily-case for you ;)

Greetings

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Did everyone do the water test before putting your phone in the case?
I don't plan on swimming with or throwing mine in the toilet so do I really need to do the water test?

Also does anyone think this case will scratch or leave marks on the black iPhone 5 after removing the phone a few times?

Thanks.

mrbunglez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
Did everyone do the water test before putting your phone in the case?
I don't plan on swimming with or throwing mine in the toilet so do I really need to do the water test?

Also does anyone think this case will scratch or leave marks on the black iPhone 5 after removing the phone a few times?

Thanks.

Yes I did, you're supposed to do a mandatory 1 hr water test without phone to test for leaks and if any damage occurred during shipment.

Miao Ying

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2010
Mine now has a noticeable gash across the screen so I sort of question just how scratch resistant the screen protector is. I'm really ocd about the screen looking perfect so it's hard convincing myself to live with it.

Better the case than the phone.. it's funny but I'm considering taking the zagg I took off of the phone and slapping it on the case's screen protector in light of this.

Raegor

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2010
Picked one up at bestbuy even though I was in category A. So I have 30 days to decide if I want to keep it or not.

As for other posts, the back of mine was very curved but the case holds tight enough when connected for that not to be an issue.

Water test worked fine no leaks.

The pillowing at the top on the screen is bad, you have to push the screen to the phone to register contact. The bottom pillowing is minimal and doesn't really cause problems. I have no problems on the keyboard buttons since they're at the bottom.

Really not sure if I'm keeping it, that pillowing at the top is my only issue, overall the looks, size, and weight is perfect.

GenderFi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Seems like almost every post in here that got the Lifeproof case has issues with pillowing. I'm really doubting this quality of this case now espcially for $80. Oh well gonna give it a whirl and if I don't like it I can always return it.

ChadKerley

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
Kentucky
Sending back to Lifeproof

I have watched these forums for a long time and gotten great advice but never felt compelled to post anything myself. That changed when I got this case and I felt I needed to share my experience since many have been asking for impressions of it.

I ordered directly from lifeproof and got my case on Saturday and couldn't wait to finally cover my naked phone. I had high hopes for this case as others have really liked theirs and I spend a considerable amount of time on or near water. I followed all of the instructions on their website (unlike the 4/4S case which had instructions in the box, the fre simply points you to their site). The case passed the water test with no problems. I inserted my phone and set about my day. Shortly after that the issues started.

First, I have no rainbow effect and the pillowing is minor. The gap does make navigating somewhat more difficult but it was a sacrifice I was prepared to make for the sake of having my phone protected from an accidental drop into the lake, fishtank, or pool...all of which have happened to family members over the past few years.

The big issues I have are with the proximity sensor and microphone sensitivity. (I carried my phone naked from launch day until Saturday so I know these issues are case-related.)

During one of my first phone calls, I started getting a ringing in my ear that could be heard by the person on the other end. The sound was like you put a microphone next to a speaker and turned the volume up. Terminated the call and tried again. Same thing. It does not happen on every call, but at least 50% of them. I have tried adjusting how I hold and use the phone but it still happens. When there is no ringing/feedback, the person on the other end often complains that I sound muffled or that the microphone is cutting in and out. I feel like I am yelling into my phone for them to hear me. All of these are totally unacceptable side effects which make phone calls a chore.

Another big problem is the interference I'm experiencing with the proximity sensor. Sometimes the screen will light up during a call and I'll be "face-dialing" without knowing it. I have accidentally initiated several facetime calls, dialed into people's ears, and even inadvertantly muted conversations. Other times, when I pull the phone down from my ear, the sensor will not recognize it and won't light the screen. While this is a minor annoyance, it's something that didn't happen before the case and definitely not a welcomed addition to my iP5's functionality! It may not be a big deal for some, but it's not something I'm prepared to deal with.

I took the phone out of the case this morning and everything is functioning properly. The case is lightweight and waterproof, but that's all the praise I can give it.

Oh, and for those of you wondering, the headphone jack is very recessed and I haven't been able to find any cord small enough to fit in the opening on the case. IMHO, the included adapter is the only reliable way to use headphones or other audio devices (and its the only way to ensure your phone is protected from water and dust infilitration). Although for me its another annoyance to have to keep up with the adapter and remove and replace the plug for each use, that's something that will be a personal decision on whether the hassle is worth the protection. Not a deal breaker for me, but when added to my other issues, it certainly doesn't help.

After struggling with this case for four days, I'll be sending it back to lifeproof for a refund. Of course they will keep a 15% restocking fee plus shipping costs, which is irritating when their product does not work for me, but that's a small price to pay to get rid of what I had hoped to be a great product. I'm disappointed in this case to say the least, and I'll go back to running my phone naked until I can find a suitable case.

PittsDriver

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
The pillowing on mine is horrid. Both at the top and bottom. I am thinking about trying to take the little pad off of the home button part of the screen protector to help. I can't keep this case if this is normal.

Sgt93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
TX
Nothing like getting into a bitchfest with the Best Buy Manager saying they have them in stock. Guy finally calls the warehouse and sure as chit, they have them. He's going to get me one now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.