Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

xboxsmartglass.png
Microsoft has released an upgrade to its Xbox Live app, changing the name to Xbox SmartGlass and dramatically expanding its functionality. Microsoft announced SmartGlass earlier this year, aiming to turn a mobile phone or tablet into a second screen to compliment Xbox content.

It allows Xbox owners to remotely control their media, navigate through the Xbox dashboard, and more -- including the ability to use the iPhone's keyboard to type messages on the Xbox. SmartGlass has deeper functionality as well:
More exciting than this beefed-up interaction with the Xbox Live service itself is that Xbox SmartGlass is also "smart" enough to recognize when you're playing certain Xbox 360 games that offer additional content, and will display said content on your iOS device giving you that "second screen" enhanced experience that seems to be all the buzz as of late.
Xbox SmartGlass is a free download for iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Microsoft Releases 'Xbox SmartGlass' for iPhone and iPad

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
I tried it last night. It's kind of just a glorified remote control for the Xbox. Reminds me of using the Apple Remote app on my Apple TV.

HOWEVER, I will give MS a kudos for actually designing a good app. It is annoying that it is not sized to the iPhone 5 screen, but on the iPad, it looks, feels, and even sounds excellent. This is how apps should be made. Nice and simple, responsive, clean.

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
So glad you can use your iPhone/iPad to type messages on Xbox, hate using the on screen keyboard on the Xbox - just takes way longer than it should to type something.

dearfriendx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2011
San Diego, CA
Just watched the video. I don't think they changed the landscape on watching sports. You can choose who wins with a slider then compare with Xbox Live buddies. You can also do this by thinking of who's gonna win in your head...then texting your friend during and after game about who won. AMAZING.

ollyb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
Started off by thinking "Just an Airplay clone", but I like having the idea of having the meta info on your small screen, while the main feature is on the big screen.

Kinda reminds me of the Keynote remote for iOS, but with the scope to be useful to more people.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
And Nintendo has lost.

Microsoft didn't even need to release a new console, just an app. Kind of funny how easily the threat of the Wii U has been brushed aside.

I expect Nintendo to announce that they're exiting the hardware market and will be focusing exclusively on releasing games. Or maybe they'll be able to strike a deal with Microsoft or Sony allowing them to be an official accessory partner or something (so that Nintendo can continue making their games have new and unique interactions without Nintendo having to make the entire console themselves.)

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
I'm excited for this update. Looks like they added some good options. Even the limited functionality of the first release was nice.

Joe-Diver

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2009
If this would work on my 17" MBP......for me personally would be the killer app to compliment my 360. I love my 360 and it's a key part of my entertainment center.

BTW....Halo4 for FTW...played through first chapter last night with my buddy....friggan awesome....

jpix55

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2011
Southern California
I don't think this will ever come close to being as efficient as just using the controller.

I think you're missing the whole point. SmartGlass does not replace the controller, it adds an extra dimension to using media on a 360. Kinda like airplay, but better.

As far as efficiency, how long does it take you to type something with the onscreen keyboard inputting one character at a time? A virtual keyboard on a phone/tablet is much more efficient in that regard.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
If this would work on my 17" MBP......for me personally would be the killer app to compliment my 360. I love my 360 and it's a key part of my entertainment center.

BTW....Halo4 for FTW...played through first chapter last night with my buddy....friggan awesome....

I really don't see the 17" MBP as a couch companion like I do my iPad. Even my 13" Vaio was a bit bulky from time to time.

I don't think this will ever come close to being as efficient as just using the controller.

For those of use that are controller challenged, this is a life-saver.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Couldn't leave without posting a SmartGlass comment. :p

Can't wait to try this out. We watch a ton of ripped DVD's from a USB connected HDD on the 360. Sure, controller works, but it's a little bit of a pain to wake it up after each show, wait for it to connect, then select a new show.

Also agree about the Wii U someone posted above. I am a long, long time supporter of Nintendo. I tried a Wii U at a local GameStop, and I felt very sad afterwards. Sad! I'm playing RayMan on a huge, HD display, and forced to constantly look away from it to a tiny, low res, washed out tablet screen with tiny graphics on it? Fail.

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
"It's recommending other artists I may like, because I am listening to Maroon5"

I guess then this silly thing only works with Maroon5...

Shame on you Microsoft, Maroon5 funboys!

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Not sized to the iPhone 5... really, Microsoft?:rolleyes:

We'll survive, it is not as bad as an iPhone app on an iPad.

I'm working on a soon to be released app and my customer didn't even want to support it at this time. I branched of and implemented it pro-bono, mainly for my own sake, since I was about to buy one. My customer liked it and it is now part of the build.

But, our app was likely easier than smartglass. We are mostly list based.

Last edited:

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
And Nintendo has lost.

Microsoft didn't even need to release a new console, just an app. Kind of funny how easily the threat of the Wii U has been brushed aside.

I expect Nintendo to announce that they're exiting the hardware market and will be focusing exclusively on releasing games. Or maybe they'll be able to strike a deal with Microsoft or Sony allowing them to be an official accessory partner or something (so that Nintendo can continue making their games have new and unique interactions without Nintendo having to make the entire console themselves.)

They wont go anywhere.
Little Timmy's mother wont want to spend $500 on a system that only has FPS games (PS3 & XBOX).
Nintendo has found is market.

I do wish that Nintendo would finally come out with a 'next gen system' and not something thats already old tech.

If only Sony woul take a cue on this one...

I agree 100%.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Like you are going to have the time to play on th ipad in the middle of a game like Forzza.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
If only Sony woul take a cue on this one...

PS3 can connect to the Vita. It is not as cost effective for most gamers, but they are not clueless to the idea of device to device communication.

----------

Like you are going to have the time to play on th ipad in the middle of a game like Forzza.

You won't play on it, yuou can take a look at the iPad to see where you are on the track, perhaps your car condition, etc. In RPG it could show you your character stats, inventory, etc. so that you don't have to contstantly jump into menus in the actual game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.