Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I'm always of the belief that not all OS updates are created equal or make things better. That's why I tend to approach updates with caution. My iPad's run great with 5.1.1 ( current OS ) and have read lots of issues with iOS 6 and 6.0.1 so now I look forward to what iOS 6.1 brings to the table.

Thankfully it looks like my iPad 2 may even get iOS 7 since it's similar hardware to the Mini. But yeah no surprise regarding iOS 6. ;)

As for the N7 i'm happy with it even without out those results. It's a fantastic product and OS for the asking price of $199~$249.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
You don't think Apple slowed down my iPad 3 to "encourage" me to upgrade to the iPad 4; do you?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I seriously doubt that but yeah that was another reason I stayed put on 5.1.1 :)

nba1341

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
I would imagine because the prime number test usually runs a worker on each core?

or this is not like prime95?

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
Encryption with regards to what?

Safari, Chrome, I.E., Firefox, etc. all use encryption.

The Prime Number calculations use the same CPU instruction set that a tablet uses 100% of the time while it is being used. Even when you are playing a game, the CPU is making a billion+ calculations per second controlling every aspect of the game and building the 3D triangle wire frames for the images (the GPU adds the skins, Z-axis, shading, lighting effects, edge anti-aliasing, etc), so the Prime Number calculation results are very important.

My iPad 3 shows its CPU weakness when I play Zen Pinball. As I progress further into the game and every light, special effect, and multiple balls are in play, it slows down to where the ball is moving in slo-mo and the flipper response time becomes nearly unplayable. The same game and tables work at full speed on my Nexus 7; as I would expect with a Prime Number calc result nearly 4 times faster than my iPad 3 and twice as fast as the iPad 4.

Last edited:

Six8

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2012
Earth
You don't think Apple slowed down my iPad 3 to "encourage" me to upgrade to the iPad 4; do you?

They sure as hell slowed down my iPad 1 with the last update. It's a useless pos now.

My Galaxy Note2 will be here tomorrow and I was going to pick up a Nexus 7. Not sure if I'll need the 7 now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.