Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NekoFever

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
The app crashes for me every time I try to access my messages or tap on a game to see its achievements. Am I the only one?

OneOkami

Nov 8, 2011
The UI for this application is basically identical to the entire Windows Phone 7 interface.

Which is really an expansion of the Zune HD interface. I really think its been a diamond in the rough these past few years (the interface).

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
Well, this will be a handy complement to my xbox... I can send messages and do "xbox live stuff" separately on my iPad while playing my games... Can't wait to try it out!

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Metro looks like a nice touch interface, based on this app, but I'm not enjoying it on the XBox. It's dog slow to navigate especially since they insist on placing 'games' all the way down the list - after all the buzzwords and just before 'preferences'. Stupid. Admit the XBox is a games console!

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
This is a very nice app, but it's not without its bugs. Trying to adjust the volume or bring up controls while watching a video seems to crash the app more often than not. I also wish the animations weren't so long. They're cool, but I'd rather get to my content faster.

EmbraceTheOne

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2011
If I had to choose between an Android, or Windows Phone 7, I'd definitely going WP7. I've always waned one.
Now I can some-what have one with this app. Very similar to WP7 UI.

Awesome App.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I have to say, I played with it and my first thought was "if this is what Windows Phone 7 is like then I might want to play with it some." Its a very well done and mostly polished app. Very smart of Microsoft to put something this good in the competition's app store.

Contrast it with Google... have you EVER used a Google iOS app and thought "wow, this is polished?" Most of the time when I use one of their apps I think "wait, did I open Safari by mistake?"

This app uses iOS features. So, it's like saying Office on Mac = how Windows run.

Also, all the great apps are on App Store.

budafied

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2008
This was perfect timing for me. I hated using the half-assed apps from third parties. The only workable app for iOS that keeps track of my Live friends was Bungie's app.

Now MS releases this and I have an incredibly solid Xbox Live app. Thanks MS!!!

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
This app uses iOS features. So, it's like saying Office on Mac = how Windows run.

Also, all the great apps are on App Store.

Of course it uses iOS features, but the UI of this application works like Windows Phone 7. They were pretty meticulous about it, down to the animations.

DocNYz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
East Coast, USA
I have to say, I played with it and my first thought was "if this is what Windows Phone 7 is like then I might want to play with it some." Its a very well done and mostly polished app. Very smart of Microsoft to put something this good in the competition's app store.

Contrast it with Google... have you EVER used a Google iOS app and thought "wow, this is polished?" Most of the time when I use one of their apps I think "wait, did I open Safari by mistake?"

Dude I totally agree with everything you just said. At first I was a little confused as to why they'd put this on the competition, but as you said, it's free advertising/demoing for us.

----------

TBH If Windows Phone 7 is like this then they have done a great job, which is quite surprising given the fool who's sadly still in charge of the place.

I'm liking the 'Metro' style - possibly the most innovative design thats ever come out of the Redmond Chocolate Factory!

Yeah I'm loving the Xbox LIVE update, much faster/snappier, less cluttered, and yet more information/options per page. Not to mention how ****ing awesome Roaming Profiles and Cloud Saves are ...

Sweet plug for the writer's gamertag :D Guess he want's to be beaten at MW3!

Haha seriously. Or Halo: Anniversary Edition (also in 3D I might add).

I don't have an Xbox but I definitely commend Microsoft for making a nice looking app.

I also hope this spurs other companies like Valve, Sony, and Nintendo in creating similar social apps. I've been waiting forever for Valve to create an official Steam App.

Seriously Steam should have an app by now. Nintendo probably never will though because iPhone is one of, if not the competitor for 3DS ...

This was perfect timing for me. I hated using the half-assed apps from third parties. The only workable app for iOS that keeps track of my Live friends was Bungie's app.

Now MS releases this and I have an incredibly solid Xbox Live app. Thanks MS!!!

Embarrassingly I didn't know about Bungie's app (had been using 360 Live for years now) but thanks for the suggestion regardless.

ChrisSD

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2010
San Diego
This is a very nice app. I've been waiting for something like this for a while, especially after the 360 Live fiasco (charging for removing ads, then when in-app purchases come, charging AGAIN to remove ads). Now all I need on iOS is a Zune app with the same level of polish and an official Playstation app, and I would be very happy.

alksion

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Metro looks like a nice touch interface, based on this app, but I'm not enjoying it on the XBox. It's dog slow to navigate especially since they insist on placing 'games' all the way down the list - after all the buzzwords and just before 'preferences'. Stupid. Admit the XBox is a games console!

I have to disagree with you on this, I think it's clutter free and makes it easier to navigate.

Only thing I do not like is the Netflix update, I think it is greatly inferior to the last one. This might be my only grime and a small one at that..

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
nice app

Still not going to push me into a Windows phone....they still have some catching up to do

Last edited:

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
It's a cool idea for XBOX to put this on the app store. Could get a few new interested people in their monthly services. Good for them.

I'm a PS3 man myself, when I have time to use it!

DocNYz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
East Coast, USA
Nice effort, nice design MS...

Doesn't really do much though eh?!?

Great to see who's online, respond to messages, and see what achievements require ...

Really could use some push notifications though and faster response time for messages, friend requests, etc ...

posimosh

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2008
Not working for me... All I get is the following...

UPDATE: After a few tries it's working now...

LOLOLOLOL! I really hope that is not a real Microsoft page... Seriously, is that photoshopped? I don't know which is funnier if it is a legit webcap or doctored...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.