Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Hello, how are you?

I've always been an android person since my first smartphone. I've had Htc, Sony, Samsung phones and currently have a nexus.
I've also had an HTC flyer tablet and currently have a nexus 7.
I've always liked android and I think that with each upgrade the os is getting better.

The thing is that yesterday I was at a local store and spent a good deal of time playing with the new ipad mini.

I wasn't really expecting to like it, but like a person that likes technology, I was curious to see the new mini.

Long story short, I really liked the 4:3 aspect ratio of the screen and how much better is the usability of the tablet for the main task I use a tablet for which is reading and Web browsing.

So, I am currently thinking about selling my Nexus 7 and picking up a mini.
Since I never had an ios device, I have a few fears and doubts that I hope you can help me with.

I use Google services. Does ios have the gmail app for my email?
Can I use Google calendar on ios and keep all my current calendar events?
Does ios sync with my Google contacts?
Does it have something like Google now?
Can I sync email, contacts and calendar with an Android phone and a desktop chrome browser?
Is there a chrome browser app for ios that syncs with the desktop chrome?
Can I use a predictive keyboard like SwiftKey?
Is there a YouTube app? Does it link to my Google account and subscribed channels?
Can I plug the mini to a pc and transfer mp3, docs, PDF and such to the mini?

So far these are my doubts. Hope you can help me out.
I am at that point where I would really like to pick up a mini, but I just don't know if ios is for me...

Thanks.
Cheers

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I can only answer transfer stuff from the Mini to the PC. Yes you can and it's called iTunes. But you need to consider how much you have invested in the Google ecosystem before making the leap. The same goes for someone considering a move from iOS to Android.

The YouTube app was removed via iOS 6. So your only alternative is to wait for Google to release a YouTube app on the App Store or use McTube App.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

sam3020

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
Hello, how are you?

I've always been an android person since my first smartphone. I've had Htc, Sony, Samsung phones and currently have a nexus.
I've always liked android and I think that with each upgrade the os is getting better.

The thing is that yesterday I was at a local store and spent a good deal of time playing with the new ipad mini.

I wasn't really expecting to like it, but like a person that likes technology, I was curious to see the new mini.

Long story short, I really liked the 4:3 aspect ratio of the screen and how much better is the usability of the tablet for the main task I use a tablet for which is reading and Web browsing.

Since I never had an ios device, I have a few fears and doubts that I hope you can help me with.

Can I sync email, contacts and calendar with an Android phone and a desktop chrome browser?
Is there a YouTube app? Does it link to my Google account and subscribed channels?

I am at that point where I would really like to pick up a mini, but I just don't know if ios is for me...

Thanks.
Cheers

I will try and answer what I can on here. iOS has built in support for gmail and you can add and use your gmail account which will let you sync your google calendars as well and your contacts.

There is a chrome browser for iOS which syncs with your google account but I don't know to what extent you can sync with it.

With regards to a predictive keyboard iOS does correct words when you get them wrong.

There is currently no YouTube app with iOS on iPad yet but integrates well with iOS on safari and works well.

And yes you can plug the mini into your pc to sync all of that

Hope this helps

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I can only answer transfer stuff from the Mini to the PC. Yes you can and it's called iTunes. But you need to consider how much you have invested in the Google ecosystem before making the leap. The same goes for someone considering a move from iOS to Android.

The YouTube app was removed via iOS 6. So your only alternative is to wait for Google to release a YouTube app on the App Store or use McTube App.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Actually the html5 youtube.com is way better than the app ever was. I dont recommend the youtube app. I recommend just going to youtube.com in this case.

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Thank you for your answers.
I have bought some apps for Android, but almost all of them were on big sales, like the recent 25 cents sale, so although I have some purchased apps, I am not that invested.

In regard to gmail, I can use the default ios mail app with my gmail account and it will sync my read and sent emails with my other devices?
The same goes for the default contacts and calendar app?

To transfer files, is iTunes obligatory or can I just mount the mini as USB mass storage and just drag and drop the files?

Cheers

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I have bought some apps for Android, but almost all of them were on big sales, like the recent 25 cents sale, so although I have some purchased apps, I am not that invested.

In regard to gmail, I can use the default ios mail app with my gmail account and it will sync my read and sent emails with my other devices?

To transfer files, is iTunes obligatory or can I just mount the mini as USB mass storage and just drag and drop the files?

Cheers
And the gmail html5 app is also very fantastic really. I use both mail and regular gmail.com because the html5 app is so good.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Gmail and gmail calendars sync across great :)

I'd urge anyone looking for a Youtube app to download Jasmine.

It's simply incredible, miles better than safari or any other app i've tried, and its free with no ads! :)

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

Cheers

iOS does not have a user-accessable file system like you'll find on Android. Each app keeps their own files in its own sandboxed storage. To open a file from one app, say Adobe Acrobat Creator in another app, say iAnnotate, you'll use the Open With... command from within the first app.

There are several apps that give you a forward-facing file system, however. Documents get stored sandboxed within it like all iOS apps, but you'll have all the usual features (Open With..., preview, rename, copy, move to folder, email, ftp, wifi network transfer, SMB network fileshare support, Dropbox sync, Google Drive sync, etc.) that a standard file system will give you. There are several such apps, but the one I personally like most is GoodReader. The developer is very active and responsive.

For drag-and-drop file transfer, you've got two options. You can use iTunes and drop files on to GoodReader or you can use GoodReader to open a network share window on your computer via wifi and drag/drop files on to or from the iPad. That's what I use. Works quite well.

iOS does not support USB Mass Storage like Android and Blackberry devices. The Apple philosophy is to hide the file system from the users. The good is that there's much less user confusion, each app can sync it's documents via iCloud from one device to another (i.e., iPad and iPhone, and with some apps, to Mac as well), and documents get backed up automatically with the app via iCloud. The downside is to users who are happiest when drilling down through a file system - they kind of freak out at the Apple model of not having a traditional file system. I will say I'm a very sophisticated computer user and the Apple model doesn't bother me in the slightest. Personally, I hate micromanaging files on my Android devices (Nexus 7 and Galaxy S3).

Oh, and as noted in posts above, Google has a Gmail app for iOS that supports all the usual Gmail features (labels, Spam, etc.). It's pretty much on-par with the Gmail app on the Nexus 7 and unlike the Android version it supports pinch-to-zoom. Make sure to turn on Push Notifications in the app so you'll get your new mail alerts.

Last edited:

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Hello, how are you?

Thanks.
Cheers

You can add your Gmail account to the stock mail app on iOS and have your Google contacts sync to it, same with your google calendar events. I currently have my gmail setup on my iPhone and iPad mini so that its set to push email so that I get emails as they are sent to me and so that their read/unread status is synced between my devices. This is very easy to setup and works perfectly.

To transfer files you'll have to use iTunes. In its current state iTunes is not bad, but it is due for a large overhaul/redesign that Apple has said will be available by the end of of November.

There is no stock YouTube app for iPad, but there are YouTube clients you can download from the App Store such as Jasmine, which, I think, is better than the stock YouTube app that use to be on the iPad. Jasmine does link to your google account allowing you to see your subscribed channels, favorites, etc.

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Hello,
Thank you for your replies.
I've been doing some reading and I would like to know how gmail works in ios.
I read that you can configure it in two ways. Either with imap or as an exchange mail.
What are the differences?
What limitations does the mail app have to work with a gmail account?
And an unbiased opinion, is gmail a better experience on android?

Thank you.
Best regards

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida

Yes, this works fine. We use google apps to run our business and manage all of these via the native apps.

Cheers

You can't mount and drag, you do need to use iTunes. You can also use something like Dropbox for this sort of functionality, via wireless syncing, if you prefer to avoid iCloud.

Nothlit

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009

If you're still waiting for Google to release a YouTube app, you must have missed the memo. :)

Hello,
Thank you for your replies.
I've been doing some reading and I would like to know how gmail works in ios.
I read that you can configure it in two ways. Either with imap or as an exchange mail.
What are the differences?
What limitations does the mail app have to work with a gmail account?
And an unbiased opinion, is gmail a better experience on android?

Thank you.
Best regards

Yes, you can configure it in either of the two ways you describe. If configured as an Exchange account, then you will have true "push" email -- messages will be pushed to your phone instantly. If configured as an IMAP account, you will be limited to "fetch," which you can do manually, or configure for a 15-, 30-, or 60-minute automatic fetch interval.

Also, if configured as IMAP, iOS shows you a file cabinet (archive) icon instead of a delete icon for your Gmail account. Tapping this will archive your email rather than deleting it. If configured as Exchange, iOS shows you a delete icon, but Google still interprets this as an "archive" command. The only way to actually delete messages if configured as Exchange is to go into the "All Mail" folder and delete it from there. Deleting from the inbox *always* archives when configured as Exchange. (A lot of people don't realize this.)

I have not personally used Gmail on Android, but I suspect that it is a somewhat better experience there vs. iOS. However, I wouldn't say that the Gmail experience on iOS is a dealbreaker, either. You can always use Google's Gmail app or the web browser if needed to work around any specific limitations of the built-in Mail app.

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
If you're still waiting for Google to release a YouTube app, you must have missed the memo. :)

Yes, you can configure it in either of the two ways you describe. If configured as an Exchange account, then you will have true "push" email -- messages will be pushed to your phone instantly. If configured as an IMAP account, you will be limited to "fetch," which you can do manually, or configure for a 15-, 30-, or 60-minute automatic fetch interval.

Also, if configured as IMAP, iOS shows you a file cabinet (archive) icon instead of a delete icon for your Gmail account. Tapping this will archive your email rather than deleting it. If configured as Exchange, iOS shows you a delete icon, but Google still interprets this as an "archive" command. The only way to actually delete messages if configured as Exchange is to go into the "All Mail" folder and delete it from there. Deleting from the inbox *always* archives when configured as Exchange. (A lot of people don't realize this.)

I have not personally used Gmail on Android, but I suspect that it is a somewhat better experience there vs. iOS. However, I wouldn't say that the Gmail experience on iOS is a dealbreaker, either. You can always use Google's Gmail app or the web browser if needed to work around any specific limitations of the built-in Mail app.

Very informative. Thank you.
Just a question. If configured as exchange, are the mails downloaded to the ipad?
Also, is the gmail app for ios the same as on android?

Cheers

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Back when I still used my iPhone 4S, I had it configured as Exchange. IMAP lacks Push, and being notified of new emails instantly was a big plus. However, I agree that the Gmail experience on Android is far better than anything you'll find on iOS. The Android app also comes with instant Push notifications.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I've found Dropbox to be the most painless way of viewing files across multiple devices. Especially if you work in a mixed OS or predominantly Windows environment. The only reason I even sync with iTunes anymore is to update my podcasts (the Podcasts standalone app is a train wreck).

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Just one question.
Today I saw a slim keyboard cover by Logitech for the ipad.
Looks a good way to increase productivity.
If I use that keyboard cover, the on screen keyboard disappears and the documents or browser becomes full screen while typing?

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.