Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Wow, if this is already in the pipeline then maybe Apple has solved the power/battery/size issues already. Or at least they must be in the process of doing so. This is good news. I can easily make due with the non-retina version (if I ever actually find a mini to purchase), but will definitely consider this upgrade should it be released.

Thanks for the post!

There is always at least 2 years in the development pipeline.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I personally hope that they never come out with a Retina Mini. I don't want to have to wade through all of the dozens of "I told you so" and "My Mini is now a piece of crap" threads. It's already bad enough with all of the "The Mini's screen is unusable" threads.

They fit in nicely with the 'there will NEVER be an iPad mini' posts that littered the forum all summer.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Gotta love when people take gossip as fact and fact as gossip.

What evidence do you have of what's impossible or what production/price yields are preventing the existence of a retina iPad Mini? Apple is well known for settling on lower specs by choice so whether or not a retina iPad Mini CAN exist is only known by Apple. So why are you trying to pass yourself off as one who knows anything?

The evidence is that no one has a tablet with size similar to 7.9 inches with resolution approaching 2048x1536 without weighting a tons. Only 3 tablets have that level of display (iPad 3, iPad 4, and nexus 10). and they weight from 1.33 lbs to 1.46 lbs). If you work the math, using the same technology would mean an iPad mini in the 1 to 1.1lb range as compare to 0.68 lb today. Don't think I want one that heavy now that we see how light it can be..

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Well, I'll be upgrading once it's out, so count me in as excited, even if I did plunk down $330 for a first generation product.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Perhaps Apple used the non-retina mini to test its success before they invested in 7.9" retina displays.

onepremiere

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
The retina iPad mini is NOT in production - allegedly suppliers are readying components for production to start in Q3 of 2013. No real surprise there - it remains to be seen if they can achieve the necessary yield to go ahead with production of the display.

This, manufacturing forecasting can push out years in advance.

Remember the display manufacture has to prepare tooling, components, packaging, q.c. procedures, ect.

If you're forecasting 5 Million Displays
and it takes Component A - 4 Weeks per Million... Ect.

You see where I am going with this.

It all takes time, its very likely they are preparing for production, but the actual build of the iPad wont begin for sometime.

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
This is great news! Lets see what processor they use.

Start saving your money now boys and girls!

About $30 per month and come November 2013 you'll have enough for a 16gb wifi Retina Mini.

About $40 per month for a 16gb LTE Retina Mini.

That's of course, if Apple keeps pricing the same.

Why not march/april 2013 :confused:

Last edited:

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
So would it be inappropriate to start the "Apple screwed me over, I just bought the iPad mini and its already obsolete" threads now or should we wait a few months? :D

GET STARTED NOW!!! and please make sure you incorporate a large section of the post to AGAIN how bad the current screen is....I just don't think we covered it enuf here...LOL

onepremiere

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
Perhaps Apple used the non-retina mini to test its success before they invested in 7.9" retina displays.

It would have cost less to just use the Retina out of the gate, I highly doubt this was a market strategy, but then again I don't work for Apple. :D

Because of Apple's cult like following/obsession, they don't need to bring all everything to the table all at once... They can spoon feed us over time generating more moola.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
They fit in nicely with the 'there will NEVER be an iPad mini' posts that littered the forum all summer.

+1 Ding ding! Exactly my thoughts. The Mini has had so much opposition that its rediculous. We've all moved from being idiots that are just delusional for dreaming of such a device...to being idiot isheep for having dared purchase one. All I can say to the haters is "I love my mini", so don't waste your breath, I have more important things to worry about.

As for the retina version, I'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Techwriter

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010
GET STARTED NOW!!! and please make sure you incorporate a large section of the post to AGAIN how bad the current screen is....I just don't think we covered it enuf here...LOL

Don't forget to follow this with new threads about how the new, retina iPad mini has a yellow screen, is too heavy and hot, and takes forever to charge. jk. I enjoy MacRumors.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
It would have cost less to just use the Retina out of the gate....

How is that? And, your answer needs to include day-one access to iPad apps (i.e. full pixel count of iPad3/4, not just retina density).

Regards,
Tom

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
http://www.slashgear.com/ipad-mini-2-retina-display-tipped-already-in-pipeline-from-auo-07255958/. Thou ask thou shall receive looks like we'll be seeing this in around 12 months from now..

In development is not in production. ;)

Production begin Q3 2013, doesn't look to ship till 4Q 2013 - so at least folks worried that Apple will update again in March / April can rest a little easier. It looks like it will be at least October next when we see the revision 2 of the ipad mini.

----------

That's inane.

They did it because there is no 7.9" retina screens at the moment to put into them. period.

If these are not going into production till Q3 2013 for release probably Q4 2013, how can that be because they wanted to test the waters ? :rolleyes:

Your posts are always negative and looking hopelessly for conspiracy theories in everything.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008

Production begin Q3 2013, doesn't look to ship till 4Q 2013 - so at least folks worried that Apple will update again in March / April can rest a little easier. It looks like it will be at least October next when we see the revision 2 of the ipad mini.

----------

That's inane.

They did it because there is no 7.9" retina screens at the moment to put into them. period.

If these are not going into production till Q3 2013 for release probably Q4 2013, how can that be because they wanted to test the waters ? :rolleyes:

Your posts are always negative and looking hopelessly for conspiracy theories in everything.

learn to read, please

how is testing the waters with 1024 x 768 a conspiracy? it's a business decision

investment in retina a lot more expensive if it turned out to be a bust

And what is so negative about being cautious? you are really confusing

onepremiere

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
How is that? And, your answer needs to include day-one access to iPad apps (i.e. full pixel count of iPad3/4, not just retina density).

Regards,
Tom

I was making my opinion from a production/manufacturing stand point.

Building two different displays for the same device.

Why not build the proposed direction for the device to start rather than producing, then obsoleting a display after only a few months. I am sure there is a cost difference within the actual components that make up the display, but when you factor labor costs, tooling, ect.

But this all goes back to Apple's spoon feeding... higher profit margins on with lost cost BOM... till the market is ready to spend that money again for the upgrade upgrade.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816

Actually I think I should start multiple threads, trying to keep all that rage against the machine in one thread would be too frustrating.

----------

Don't forget to follow this with new threads about how the new, retina iPad mini has a yellow screen, is too heavy and hot, and takes forever to charge. jk. I enjoy MacRumors.

If we are really lucky we might even see a "if I sit the MiniR (can we call it the miniR?) in my lap will it make me sterile?"

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
That resolution is overkill. Far higher than needed for retina. I know they didn't want another resolution for developers, but they should have done something intermediate, like on the fire HD. Would require less power and could be ready now.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
New display technology and still light, and thin?

Oooh, Daddy like!*

Wait, that may mean the same screen, etc., etc., may make it's way to the iPad 5!

Daddy really like!!!

*Still doesn't mean I'll be buying the current mini model.

Last edited:

reputationZed

macrumors 65816

----------

That's inane.

Actually I think Apple had all intentions of launching the mini with a retina display. But then Bob, Tim, and Jony are sitting in the pub knocking back a couple of pints when Bob jokes they should just rehash the iPad2 hard ware. They all have a few laughs, but a few pints latter Tim's on the phone to Foxconn putting the kibosh on the retina. Next morning a very hung over Tim calls Jony asking "Did we..., no way..., were we that drunk?"

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Why not build the proposed direction for the device to start rather than producing, then obsoleting a display after only a few months.

But it all gets back to having an app-ready device. Their choices were 1024x 768 (which is a manufacturable ppi, i.e. reasonable yield), or 2048x1536 (higher ppi than ipad3/4, much lower yield).

And, there's really no money loss associated with a display that's getting produced and then obsoleted. For this device they go to a display fab that's capable of producing the much easier spec. When they decide to go retina, they go to the fab that's capable of that. They're not building their own display fabs.

Regards,
Tom

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
I want £1 for every iPad Mini Retina thread there is going to be, so I can retire and have enough to buy every new Apple product until I die as they all collapse on me.

I think the hysteria will reach new heights.

Looking forward to the "Should I buy my 2 year old the new retina mini?".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.