Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
They will. Apple winning $1 billion by suing Samsung and loosing $2 billion because it had to prop Sharp to get the components they could easily get from Samsung. That makes perfect economic sense (and APPL trend proves it).

Yes,it does, because you need to look a little bit further than just how much money was spent and where it went.

Apple is clearly trying to get away from SAMSUNG and it isn't exactly new that SAMSUNG copies whatever others do (Not only Apple stuff)

So, this is most likely a long term investment!

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Interesting, but I wonder why Apple wouldn't just buy the production factory outright and have Sharp operate it. That way, if anything happened to them, the plant would not be at risk of shutting down.

Because the ROI will look terrible for the investment. also Apple has no interest in owning a production facility. as of now, they can move to a different vendor if their technology is ahead of Sharp down the road. But once you own that facility, Apple is stuck with the technology, good or bad. IGZO is hot today but the industry can easily move to something else next year. Apple is a serial dater and never make any commitment to it's vendor more than a year or two..

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Apple Sharp

This would make sense since lcd screens plays an important role into Apple's business, namely the Retina technology.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Better than burning the money for stock dividends.

The folks that received those dividends would likely disagree with you.

As for this money, an amount that high probably has laws saying they would have to be upfront about what happened to it. So I'm thinking if they did invest it in Sharp they would have to say so publicly to someone and we'd know about it. If it was just a grand total of smaller amounts here and there for various things then they might skirt that declaration requirement

----------

Sharp likely has significant amount of debt that Apple couldn't assume. IE: They have debt greater than their perceived worth, making them impossible to purchase.

couldn't?? something tells me actually they could. if they really wanted the company. So the catch could be if they would want the company that much. Or even one division of it. And that might be the stickler.

Apple could start an ISP, cell company, cable company etc if they really wanted. But they don't. They have said this several times. They have no desire to be all things. So perhaps they don't want to own Sharp and thus wouldn't buy it at this point even if it was up for sale.

In the future that might change, especially if it means getting control of key patents. Hell they might buy those patents and still not buy the whole company.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Forgive the ignorance, but didn't Sharp come up with IGZO? So would it (if the financials were right) make sense for Apple to simply buy Sharp as to have access to that info exclusively (not to mention the engineers who came up with the tech and could subsequently bolster Apple's own experience in that arena for future innovations)?

Much like they purchased Intrinsity/P.A Semi a few years back and are on the verge of designing their own chips for all of their products - they could still operate Sharp as a foundry much like they use Samsung for production of the A6 and A6X chips.

Pianoblack3

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
Scotland

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
what tax money wasted on florida are you referring to?

although coming from texas you are one of the few states that can gripe

I'm talking about the election results - what do you mean about Texas? We have extremely good tax rates here (especially compared with other states) and business is pretty good. I'll tell you, the only things that give me comfort after what transpired last night are 1) God is ultimately in control and 2) I still live in Texas!

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I'm talking about the election results - what do you mean about Texas? We have extremely good tax rates here (especially compared with other states) and business is pretty good. I'll tell you, the only things that give me comfort after what transpired last night are 1) God is ultimately in control and 2) I still live in Texas!

ah fair enough, the election

I meant that texas is one of the few states that IMO is allowed to gripe that certain states receive an excessive share of the federal govt's purse / attention.

totally misunderstood what you meant :-/

ucantgetridofme

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2011

So you're proud of being an inbreed redneck is that what you're trying to say?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
ah fair enough, the election

I meant that texas is one of the few states that IMO is allowed to gripe that certain states receive an excessive share of the federal govt's purse / attention.

totally misunderstood what you meant :-/

Lol to be honest, I much prefer the fed stays out of our pockets.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
$2 Billion not going save Sharp. It lost $3.1 Billion last quarter and has $10 Billion debt. Sold plants to Foxconn and reported "material doubt" over its corporate survival last quarter. Apple choose a loser as partner.

Here is the complete article.

http://arstechnica.com/business/201...s-material-doubt-over-its-corporate-survival/

Right, because you know better than Apple, and Apple is in the habit of wasting billions of dollars propping up failing companies :rolleyes:
Or maybe is it that Apple knows something you don't?

Which is more likely?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
You are "loosing" your ability to read. Apple is prepaying for product that Samsung doesn't produce, IGZO displays.

You can sugar coat what they are doing all you want. They still paid 2B out of pocket which they may or may not ever see again.

So, this is most likely a long term investment!

If Sharp can stay in business long enough. Who knows.

----------

Right, because you know better than Apple, and Apple is in the habit of wasting billions of dollars propping up failing companies :rolleyes:

Which is more likely?

Apple isn't infallible. Companies make poor purchasing or business deals all the time. Time will tell.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Apple isn't infallible. Companies make poor purchasing or business deals all the time. Time will tell.

No, but they sure as heck didn't become the most valuable American company by making poor business decisions and squandering billions on failed companies/partnerships.

I would love if someone knew more regarding IGZO - its development and patents surrounding it. Is this a Sharp tech? Did they come up with it? Apple may simply be angling to buy this portion of the company (and the engineers they employ) for this tech and future display innovations - much like the PA Semi and Intrinsity acquisitions now appear to have been the basis for Apple taking complete control over the design of their chips.

iphoneclassic

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
USA

Which is more likely?

I am quoting from Sharp's quarterly statement. Please read the article and pdf attached within the article.

Apple has no choice because they screwed their relationship with Samsung.

Apple cornered itself to one major vendor for every component.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.