Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
This is good news, honestly. I'm all for third party apps doing this job, and other apps doing the job of Office apps in parallel. But the reality for so many people in business is a standardization on MS Office, for better or worse. It's a good plan to support your format on the most popular mobile platform if you plan on retaining any sort of dominance in a 5 to 10 year game plan.

AaronTheYoung

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
Pages to Word 2010 Experience is quite good!

Yea, but they all suck.

Glassed Silver:mac

My experience shows me seamless back and forth from Pages to Word 2010 on my PC via Box.net. I'm not a the heaviest Word processor, but I frequently develop Court documents and letters without one single problem in compatibility.

My experience with Pages doesn't suck at all. I expected far less compatibility and more problems and instead, I've found none.

A few of the partners at our firm (and we have picky ones) use their iPad for word processing the same way. We don't do much work with Numbers or Keynote, but haven't had as much need for those types of document development on the iPad.

I too believe that MS should make as great a product as they can. Unfortunately, it's all about making money and doing the basic functionality with a subscription will problem bring them in quite a bit of cash. If it doesn't, they'll have rethink their strategy. I hope they have time to do all that.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Are you really all that surprised ?

Microsoft are not going to give potential Office users with a tablet a reason to choose IOS or Android over a Windows RT or Pro device.

Windows RT needs all the push it can get right now, and Office RT is a convincing argument in that push.

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
So... Microsoft is going to kick 30% to Apple for subscriptions to the Office 365 service? Isn't part of the T&C of the AppStore?

This would only happen if subscription was linked to inside the App. If it is not mentioned or linked in the App itself then it will not get the Apple tax. It will just piss off everyone who try's to use it.

I see all the 1 start ranting now...

"Sux, can't use at all."

"What's with the login M$, this is broken"

"Doesn't take by Microsoft ID, broken"

"To eveyone who's bitching about not being able log in, this requires a yearly subscription to Office 365. M$ crappy website. 1 star for a crippled subscription piece junk. I'm going back to Pages/Keynote/Numbers."

And so on.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
I'm not surprised.. Surface coming out with the full office ended my expectations for office for Android and iOS. Why would they bother making something that diminishes the #1 selling point for their own tablet OS?

They'd rather sell 1 Tablet with OS and Office, together with the many apps the user will buy as well as other content through their online store, than just 1 copy of office for iOS.

I'm sure they will make it clumsy, hard to use, have limited features. And they're Microsoft, they're good at botching things :).

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
According to the report, Office Mobile for iOS and Android will launch in early 2013 but will not offer anything close a true Office experience, with the editing functionality it does offer coming through an Office 365 subscription.

Office 365 subscription starts at $4/month, which includes hosted email that I don't need at all. I sincerely hope Microsoft will offer cheaper plan ($10/year) without email.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
All this time in development for a glorified file viewer? Seems pointless. I'd be first in line to buy something more substantial, but then Microsoft now has it's own tablet to worry about.

Thanks, MS. I'll stick with iWork. Day after day, MS Office is becoming less relevant. Be careful, Mr. Balmer... that's your bread and butter there. You're forcing people to find other solutions rather than buying yours.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Limited native support is still better than any of the options still out there. Switching back and forth via Pages is not a reasonable alternative for me. I'll be picking this up--not being able to work with Word and PPT files is the only thing keeping me from going 100% iPad

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
Um, no. It's like Office (Pro) but rented for a year, on 5 machines. It's not that bad a deal, actually.

You are both right. Office 365 is 2 products.

One is the traditional software that is installed on microcomputers. The other is a web browser based suite. Both are subscription only.

Skydrive has the same web apps for free. They supposedly work on iOS, but Word keeps crashing Safari on my 1st gen iPad.

Overview -> http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/what-is-office365.aspx
Plan details and rates -> http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/compare-plans.aspx

Last edited:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I'm surprised Apple is not placing a call to Microsoft to try and work out something a little better for iOS devices..... Having a close to fully functioning Office Suite on the ipad and iPhone could really push these devices into the enterprise stratosphere, and give Apple a huge boost. But perhaps they dont really care that much about it, and instead believe numbers and pages can some day be relevant in the business world.

MS is the one moving to a subscription model (for all variants of Office) in the future. Why in the world would they work with Apple when that is going to be a huge financial boon because of all the people that think Office apps are the only ones that "do word, excel, and powerpoint".

I work for the geeksquad and the vast majority of clients don't know about things like LibreOffice, they think any word processing is a "word" document.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Apple should just pull the iWork apps out of the kiddie corner and develop some serious support for the xml based office standard file standards such as docx, pptx and xlsx with some great editing features and we can forget about office.

Most Mac people only use Office because of file compatibility and limited functionality of iWork in some respects (especially Numbers).

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Pages gaining change tracking and commenting features on iOS would be great. How many apps have any sort of change tracking functionality on iOS? I can think of one but that is it (one of those third party Office suites). The Google docs website does too but you'd have to hate yourself to use that (errors constantly and very slow).

pdaviesoz

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
Adelaide, Oz
Microsoft Money Bite

Why bother with Office for iOS? Docs to Go already does more than what MS is offering, as does Quickoffice. Plus Pages, Numbers and Keynote from Apple. Simply Don't need it, certainly if a subscription is required.

BoxOfSnoo

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
You are both right. Office 365 is 2 products.

One is the traditional software that is installed on microcomputers. The other is a web browser based suite. Both are subscription only.

Skydrive has the same web apps for free. They supposedly work on iOS, but Word keeps crashing Safari on my 1st gen iPad.

Overview -> http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/what-is-office365.aspx
Plan details and rates -> http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/compare-plans.aspx

Those links are a little confusing. Here's what I understand:

1) Office 365 is currently pretty much just like Google Docs + mail. A few other higher-end cloud services too.

2) With 2013, they are going to have a (new?) subscription for $99/yr that includes the web apps but also the actual native versions of Office Pro, which includes Access and Outlook. (PC) You can install on up to 5 machines.

3) Office Mac has not been announced yet, those that subscribe to Office 365 including Office 2013 as above will have licenses for Office 2011 on their Macs.

4) Boxed single-user copies of Office 2013 are still going to be available, but the price will be going up, to push a better revenue stream of the subscription model.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
only basic stuff ?

Figures..... But maybe it will get better with a "full version"

It can be done.....

Office 2013 Previews nice too in Windows.

Skydrive all the way.... :)

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
All this time in development for a glorified file viewer? Seems pointless. I'd be first in line to buy something more substantial, but then Microsoft now has it's own tablet to worry about.

Thanks, MS. I'll stick with iWork. Day after day, MS Office is becoming less relevant. Be careful, Mr. Balmer... that's your bread and butter there. You're forcing people to find other solutions rather than buying yours.

Under what basis is Office becoming less relevant? I think it's pretty obvious that its as popular as it's ever been.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
It can work if MS allow companies their own private storage for documents. Public clouds for enterprise don't work with all the legal constraints and regulations. Waiting for more details but not big hope.

Any funny: Apple get 30% of MS office subscription; now that's cool. :cool:

Please explain.

I have Office2 but found it a little buggy. Is Pages not stable, or is it just the interface you don't like?

Main pain: no customizable templates ... For business work needed ... And copy&paste don't count

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.