Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danmoore03

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Hey guys I've finally made the upgrade from a first gen ipad to the fourth. Needless to say it was a massive upgrade and I'm really enjoying it. The only problem I have is I'm on my second one. I'm not sure if its just a different design then the first ipad, but the home button is not nearly as responsive. The first ipad 4 I had before I returned it to apple, had a really bad clicky loose feeling to the home button causing it to not work all the time. They gladly noticed the problem and returned no problem. I get home with this new one, button is much quieter, but not so responsive. The more I use it the better it gets, set the ipad down let it sit for twenty minutes and use again, takes a couple clicks sometimes six to ten to wake it up. Sometimes I can push it once, and it mimics a double tapped home button. I've tried the tricks found online, recalibrate the home button, that works well, only for a short time then it begins to get worse.

Is this a hardware or software flaw? Am I being to picky, or should I go back for yet a 3rd ipad.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
Hey guys I've finally made the upgrade from a first gen ipad to the fourth. Needless to say it was a massive upgrade and I'm really enjoying it. The only problem I have is I'm on my second one. I'm not sure if its just a different design then the first ipad, but the home button is not nearly as responsive. The first ipad 4 I had before I returned it to apple, had a really bad clicky loose feeling to the home button causing it to not work all the time. They gladly noticed the problem and returned no problem. I get home with this new one, button is much quieter, but not so responsive. The more I use it the better it gets, set the ipad down let it sit for twenty minutes and use again, takes a couple clicks sometimes six to ten to wake it up. Sometimes I can push it once, and it mimics a double tapped home button. I've tried the tricks found online, recalibrate the home button, that works well, only for a short time then it begins to get worse.

Is this a hardware or software flaw? Am I being to picky, or should I go back for yet a 3rd ipad.

I haven't noticed any issues with the home button on my iPad 4?

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
i havent noticed problem with my home button, but the button is harder to use than the one in my iPhone 5. maybe because the iPhone 5 is smaller, so it's easier to grip and use the button.

but good news is, the home button is the most useless thing in iPad. i always use 4 fingers gesture to open multitasking bar or to close app.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
If you have an Apple store nearby I would suggest you go and test a couple demo units. I would say that my ipad 4 is not behaving that way. I'm quite familiar with button issues having had an iPhone 4 for over two years.

Ultimately the button gets used very little once you train yourself to use 4 & 5 finger gestures in place of it. But that being said, I would not accept one with a hardware defect simply because there's a software workaround.

S

syd430

Can't believe some of these responses. OP, From the description you have provided you clearly have a faulty home button and you should replace it ASAP.

I also use geatures and and auto sleep/awake too so i rarerly need to use the home button, but does not override the fact, if for no other reason other than resale value or those rare times when you inevitably will need it.

Also, if you wait until outside your 14 no-questions-asked return period you will then have the added hassle of possibly having to prove the issue to them rather than just swapping it out. From my experience with the faulty home buttons, the problem could prove intermittent when you're actually it the store, leading to more effort on your behalf to get a replacement.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
i havent noticed problem with my home button, but the button is harder to use than the one in my iPhone 5. maybe because the iPhone 5 is smaller, so it's easier to grip and use the button.

but good news is, the home button is the most useless thing in iPad. i always use 4 fingers gesture to open multitasking bar or to close app.

I also used that but that might be a problem for him if he uses drawing apps which state that you need to disable multitouch gestures for the app to work correctly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.