Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Might be a call setup thing.

In any case, I've had this on my 3GS, my 4, my 4S and now my 5, so I've just gotten used to answer, pausing for a second or two and THEN saying "Hello?"

same. I have at&t and just have learned to wait a second before talking.

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
I thought I was going nuts. My iPhone 4 of 2 years never had the issue, noticed it right way on my 5 (With Rogers in Canada)

drditty

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2007
upstate NY
problem solution for this and another problem

I have had each iphone from day 1, and this has never been an issue before. I had another issue, for the first time, the iphone would not last through a day of work without a battery recharge. This never happened before, I would come home with 40-50% battery life. Researching the forums, I came across a fix for the battery problem: reset the phone (erase all data) and set up as a new iPhone (don't restore from iCloud) Apparently, there is a great deal of "baggage" that comes along, some people do this process (which is a lengthy pain in the a__) each time a new ios comes out. So I did this and the battery problem seems improved (at 65% at 5 PM) and the answer delay is gone! I'm so happy to not have to say hello 3 times!

DJ.Nickk

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Miami,FL
I think it happens to my wife on her 4s (verizon) cause every time I call her it's

ring
ring
ring
... (silence)
her: "Helllloooo???"
me: Hi Honey, I've told you 100x that you need to wait a second before you say hello because the person on the other end can't hear you right away....

I think it's MORE frustrating that she can't just work around the issue by waiting, literally, 2 seconds before saying hello...

For what it's worth, it used to happen on her old Galaxy as well so maybe it's a trait of cell phones? I don't know.

LMAOOO!! My girlfriend says the sameee thing!!

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
I'm used to saying Hello twice when I answer the phone already.

It's annoying but I've been trying to teach myself to wait a second or two before saying anything when I answer.

mobutt

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
I think it happens to my wife on her 4s (verizon) cause every time I call her it's

ring
ring
ring
... (silence)
her: "Helllloooo???"
me: Hi Honey, I've told you 100x that you need to wait a second before you say hello because the person on the other end can't hear you right away....

I think it's MORE frustrating that she can't just work around the issue by waiting, literally, 2 seconds before saying hello...

For what it's worth, it used to happen on her old Galaxy as well so maybe it's a trait of cell phones? I don't know.

I smell a divorce.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
Glad I'm not the only one. The 5 does it. Never happened on the 4 or 4S. I'm with Verizon. I wonder if it has something to do with antenna switching. In that the phone is using LTE for data and then when you answer a call, it has to switch to 1X for the voice. Maybe that switchover is causing the delay?

drditty

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2007
upstate NY
fix

its not the iPhone 5, its the ios6 software choking on "baggage," try erasing and setting up as a new phone, it worked for me.

Emmruiz12

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
I have this same issues with iphone 5 call answering delay. It does not happen often. But one in a while it happens I need to say 3 hellos to get a response yet they hear none or one of the hellos. Anyone know or heard of a fix ?

bhigh8

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
I have this same issues with iphone 5 call answering delay. It does not happen often. But one in a while it happens I need to say 3 hellos to get a response yet they hear none or one of the hellos. Anyone know or heard of a fix ?

happens to me on every single call. annoying. havent heard of a fix.

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
Happens to me on my iP 4s and ATT. Not all the time.

me : hello
---
---
---
---
him: are you there ? , you're supposed to say hello when you answer the phone

Johnsagar

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
I'm with EE in the UK and I get this on every single call, had my iphone5 replaced once do far and I'm still getting the problem :-( have to wait a few seconds after answering untill the timer begins to tick before I can talk

Johnsagar

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
I've had my sim card replaced and that seems to have fixed the problem so far guys, touch wood! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.