Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlanKA

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
My question though is, would that fee be levied EVERY time I added/re-added my iPad? If that's even possible?

In other words, I don't want to pay $10 for months I don't plan on using it with LTE, but if I know I'll be needing it I'd like to be able to add it back on and then drop it from the plan again. That's what I'm trying to figure out. AT&T wasn't clear about this.

Then you shouldn't go through AT&T Mobile Share plan. You should just have a pre-paid sim card in there, and pay for one month here at there as need it. You do that all from your iPad. AT&T will give you a new prepaid SIM card for free (if you instead have a Post Paid card - which links it into you main AT&T account, Mobile share etc). But you can't get the $10/month thing that way. It's more like $15 for 200mb or $300 for a couple gig (something like that).

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Then you shouldn't go through AT&T Mobile Share plan. You should just have a pre-paid sim card in there, and pay for one month here at there as need it. You do that all from your iPad. AT&T will give you a new prepaid SIM card for free (if you instead have a Post Paid card - which links it into you main AT&T account, Mobile share etc). But you can't get the $10/month thing that way. It's more like $15 for 200mb or $300 for a couple gig (something like that).

Right. I understand that...but $10 < $30, so if there were no fees or penalties for adding/removing a tablet from the plan, then it would still be cheaper.

AlanKA

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
Right. I understand that...but $10 < $30, so if there were no fees or penalties for adding/removing a tablet from the plan, then it would still be cheaper.

Yep. I personally will have two iPads (3 and a forthcoming LTE Mini). I'm just gonna have both on my Mobile Share plan, even though I really only use one at a time.

AT&T definitely waives those activation fees if you call. You don't even have to raise a stink about it. I just said "how come I'm getting an activation fee when no in the store person told me about it?". He just said "let me look.....oh, you've been an AT&T customer for a long time. I'll just waive those fees".

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010

I am just glad I bought an iPad that came with Unlimited Data without throttling with AT&T :D used 5 gig in the last 5 days

TheMadBrewer

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Marina del Rey, CA
I have a couple of long trips coming up and that leaves me with a couple of narrow windows for somebody to be there to sign (one trip is with She Who Must Be Obeyed). I have a neighbor I could trust but I don't want to leave the pre-signed form on my door for a week while I am not there (might as well put a sign that says "Come Rob Me" :) )

Does anybody know if is possible to change it to be sent to an Apple store and held for pickup?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I have a couple of long trips coming up and that leaves me with a couple of narrow windows for somebody to be there to sign (one trip is with She Who Must Be Obeyed). I have a neighbor I could trust but I don't want to leave the pre-signed form on my door for a week while I am not there (might as well put a sign that says "Come Rob Me" :) )

Does anybody know if is possible to change it to be sent to an Apple store and held for pickup?

I don't believe so but why not cancel the online order and buy on launch day. That's what I did w/ the regular mini. I walked into the store mid-afternoon and was able to get one no prob... black of course. If you ordered a white then you might want to stick with it.

Also after the first delivery attempt you can call FedEx or UPS and request a hold for pick up. I believe they'll hold it at the station for up to 10 days.

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Would it be more advisable to pay the $30/mo whenever I want to use cellular or just to add AT&T's mobile share plan at $10/mo?

Of course that would mean I would have to upgrade my plan from 3GB to 5GB. But I'll basically be paying $30 more a month for 5GB on the iPad, since I highly doubt I'll use that much data on the i5. I would save $20/mo in the long haul, but again it would be mandatory as opposed to non-contractual.

Are there any other charges than the $10/mo to add a tablet to AT&T's mobile share plan?

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
I would be pretty shocked if they went up for sale the 16th in stores and shipped to those who pre-ordered that day (meaning pre-orders would arrive after they're available in store). Has Apple ever done that with any other device? Every launch I've been a part of the pre-orders arrive the day they go on sale in stores.

THIS!!!!! i'll be on the phone bitching SO loudly if that happens! what's the point of PREORDERING if you don't get it the day it's released in stores?????

TheMadBrewer

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Marina del Rey, CA
I don't believe so but why not cancel the online order and buy on launch day. That's what I did w/ the regular mini. I walked into the store mid-afternoon and was able to get one no prob... black of course. If you ordered a white then you might want to stick with it.

Also after the first delivery attempt you can call FedEx or UPS and request a hold for pick up. I believe they'll hold it at the station for up to 10 days.

I thought about the cancel and reorder -- but I have a white on order -- and it would be nice to have the mini on my two week European Beer Trip in December :) But if all else fails, I'll do that...

Didn't know about the hold -- that would work. Thanks.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
If they can confirm a date and maybe a soft launch at stores, I'll cancel my online orders and gladly wait in line. I don't want to play the 10 pm nightly game. Hopefully all the mid nov orders ship then and not weeks later. No one even knows if they sold out of initial stock already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.