Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tkmcguire1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
Oklahoma
I have a 16 cb black mini,I sold my 3 to get it,I use my ipad for my main computer,I am debating on should I keep the mini or sell and get the 4 which has a much faster processer,retina,etc.
I am just really unsure what to do

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
I have a 16 cb black mini,I sold my 3 to get it,I use my ipad for my main computer,I am debating on should I keep the mini or sell and get the 4 which has a much faster processer,retina,etc.

get rid of the mini asap! it's not worth it at all. go get an ipad 3 or 4 instead. you'll be much better off.

Swarm1424

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2011
Thousand oaks,ca
i did the same thing you did, i sold my 3rd gen and got a 4th gen but decided i wanted the mini and returned it and got the mini. I am very satisfied with it. my only caveat is the lack of retina but its totally worth the trade off for me. It is just as fast if not faster than my 4 and the weight is soo much better and more comfortable to me. I pondered for a long time about which one to get and after seeing all the reviews and benchmarks i felt it was a very solid performer and once i went and played with it at the store i fell in love. Sunspider, browsermark and Geekbench all outperformed my ipad 3 retina. Now my dad and brother both just got 4th gens and while it is faster, during my testing the speed difference was not as drastic as the actual benchmarks say it is. Maybe in the next few years we will see games take advantage of the power here but for now my mini is super speedy and im already used to the difference in pixels. just my sense of things.good luck you cant go wrong either way.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
get rid of the mini asap! it's not worth it at all.

to you..... However to many of us it's well worth it and just as capable as our ipad 3's.

Would i use an iPad as my 'main computer', no.... Do I know others who do. yes. So I'm well aware that it can be done and suits some people to do so.

You just can't generalise in these things. Different strokes for different folks.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
You just can't generalise in these things. Different strokes for different folks.

Exactly. And because of that...

OP, you're the only one that can decide. Don't let other people make up your mind for you. Think about what you need, what you have, and decide if your needs are being met. If they are, great. If not, figure out what you need to do to make it happen. I'm not sure why that requires input from other people that don't know you and aren't in your situation.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
OP, you're the only one that can decide. Don't let other people make up your mind for you. Think about what you need, what you have, and decide if your needs are being met. If they are, great. If not, figure out what you need to do to make it happen. I'm not sure why that requires input from other people that don't know you and aren't in your situation.

That should be stickied for every 'should i buy / trade / swap / exchange' thread :)

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012

Return the mini and get ALL of your money back instead of "selling it".

Then go ge the 4! It is way more capable in my opinion and if it all you will have . . . . . .:rolleyes:

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Return mini and get an iPad 3, now that they are worth the same amount of $$$

The iPad 4 is just SLIGHTLY better than the 3 is.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
ahh got caught up in all the apple hype ehh...

Well it happens, anyway return the mini and get the 4 and you'll sleep better at night I'm certain of it.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
Would be helpful if you gave us some idea of how you use the iPad. You mention the 4's faster processor but without knowing how use use your iPad its a tough call as to whether there's any real advantage in having a faster processor. I recently upgraded from an iPad2 to the iPad4. Apps load a bit faster but I'd be hard pressed to name an app that takes any meaningful advantage of the A6x. The retina display is a nice upgrade over the display on the 2. I passed on the 3 because I didn't feel the retina was all that Apple claimed it was but to be honest I may not have spent enough time with it to appreciate just how sharp the display is. Now that I've had the 4 for a couple of days I can see why some swear by the retina display. That being said I have the LTE mini on pre order and as much as I like the retina on the 4 I'm pretty intreged by the mini's form factor. Hopefully I'll have some time after the mini arrives to decide which one I want to keep (that is if I don't talk myself into keeping both).

Indywillsdad

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2011
Fishers, IN
I picked up the mini and also just sold my 3 to get a 4. I like the mini for it's feel and weight. I use my iPad as a supplement to a pc for work. Both serve a purpose. I'm not sure I would go 100% all the time with the mini, but it fills a niche for the mobile professional. I still like my iPad for WSJ, pages, numbers...but the mini is great for note taking, books, light web browsing. Just my two cents.

tkmcguire1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
Oklahoma
YEA I GOT CAUGHT IN THE APPLE HYPE,I SOLD MY IPAD 3 WHICH I HAD JUST BOUGHT A MONTH BEFORE TO REPLACE ONE THAT WAS STOLEN,IT WAS STILL IN NEW CONDITION,I WAS GOING TO GET A 4 IN THE FIRST PLACE,BUT PRICES ON EBAY TOOK SUCH A DRAMATIC DROP,I ONLY GOT $360 FOR AN ITEM I HAD PAID $543 WITH TAX A MONTH BEFORE SO I DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH TO GET THE 4 SO I GOT THE MINI,AND IT'S JUST NOT THE SAME AS A FULL SIZE IPAD,YES IT IS SLEEK AND BEAUTIFUL,BUT THE SCREEN TO ME IS GRAINY,I GUESS I'LL GET THE 4 LIKE I SHOULD HAVE DONE IN THE FIRST PLACE,I WAS JUST TRYING TO SAVE MONEY FOR CHRISTMAS,BUT I DO HAVE THE MONEY AND I WANT SOMETHING THAT WILL SERVE ALL MY NEEDS AND EVEN THOUGH I LOVE THE Mini,IT IS VERY HARD ON MY EYES,THE SCREEN IS OK,IT JUST DOES NOT COMPARE TO THE RETINA DISPLAY

----------

Sorry about the all caps,the auto correct is going nuts on my phone and the caps got stuck,by the time I noticed I didn't want to go back and correct everyrthing:)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I'd get a full size iPad if I were using it as my main device. A 7.9" screen is not much for any kind of serious work. Just my $.02.

Bih85

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
Its up to you. They will both perform the same tasks, its just the question about the screen and size of iPad. Which one do you prefer? I would suggest going to Best Buy or somewhere and testing them both out, then you can decide on what suits you better. I have mini and I like it better than regular iPad. But your or my preference can be different from someone elses you know. Good luck!

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
YEA I GOT CAUGHT IN THE APPLE HYPE,I SOLD MY IPAD 3 WHICH I HAD JUST BOUGHT A MONTH BEFORE TO REPLACE ONE THAT WAS STOLEN,IT WAS STILL IN NEW CONDITION,I WAS GOING TO GET A 4 IN THE FIRST PLACE,BUT PRICES ON EBAY TOOK SUCH A DRAMATIC DROP,I ONLY GOT $360 FOR AN ITEM I HAD PAID $543 WITH TAX A MONTH BEFORE SO I DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH TO GET THE 4 SO I GOT THE MINI,AND IT'S JUST NOT THE SAME AS A FULL SIZE IPAD,YES IT IS SLEEK AND BEAUTIFUL,BUT THE SCREEN TO ME IS GRAINY,I GUESS I'LL GET THE 4 LIKE I SHOULD HAVE DONE IN THE FIRST PLACE,I WAS JUST TRYING TO SAVE MONEY FOR CHRISTMAS,BUT I DO HAVE THE MONEY AND I WANT SOMETHING THAT WILL SERVE ALL MY NEEDS AND EVEN THOUGH I LOVE THE Mini,IT IS VERY HARD ON MY EYES,THE SCREEN IS OK,IT JUST DOES NOT COMPARE TO THE RETINA DISPLAY

----------

Sorry about the all caps,the auto correct is going nuts on my phone and the caps got stuck,by the time I noticed I didn't want to go back and correct everyrthing:)

I love how even though the majority of your post is in caps, "Mini" is still spelled sentence case. Good to know iOS's auto correct is hard at work.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
If you are only going to own one iPad I think you figured out the hard way that the 3 or 4 is the way to go. I have both the 3 and a mini. I love the mini for web surfing or casual games before I go to sleep, but for everything else I need the Retina screen.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

----------

Get the iPad 4, if you got to ask and you're doubting your purchase then you should go with your instinct.

I'm selling my 3 and have the Mini. Love the Mini so far. Yes it isn't as colorful, the non retina text doesn't bother me and blown up iPhone games that are retina enabled now look like ass. But for my main purpose (at the gym video watching and at home on the couch/bed surfing) it does the job quite well. Good enough for me to "live with it" until a new form factor iPad 5 or a Retina iPad Mini 2 comes out.

I've debated moving up to the 4 for the speed and the Retina, but honestly the extra money I'd be spending isn't making it worth my while. One of my original internal struggles was "resale value" and I came to realize. I'll probably lose the same amount of money reselling the iPad Mini as I would reselling the iPad 4th gen to buy the 5th or Mini 2.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
yea i got caught in the apple hype,i sold my ipad 3 which i had just bought a month before to replace one that was stolen,it was still in new condition,i was going to get a 4 in the first place,but prices on ebay took such a dramatic drop,i only got $360 for an item i had paid $543 with tax a month before so i didn't have enough to get the 4 so i got the mini,and it's just not the same as a full size ipad,yes it is sleek and beautiful,but the screen to me is grainy,i guess i'll get the 4 like i should have done in the first place,i was just trying to save money for christmas,but i do have the money and i want something that will serve all my needs and even though i love the mini,it is very hard on my eyes,the screen is ok,it just does not compare to the retina display

----------

sorry about the all caps,the auto correct is going nuts on my phone and the caps got stuck,by the time i noticed i didn't want to go back and correct everyrthing:)

okay BUT WHAT IS YOUR EXCUSE FOR ONE HUGE LONG RUN ON SENTENCE,AND WHY DO YOU ONLY USE COMMAS,THE PERIOD BUTTON IS RIGHT NEXT TO THE COMMA BUTTON,I DON'T THINK YOU CAN BLAME EVERYTHING ON THE AUTOCHECKER

tkmcguire1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
Oklahoma
okay BUT WHAT IS YOUR EXCUSE FOR ONE HUGE LONG RUN ON SENTENCE,AND WHY DO YOU ONLY USE COMMAS,THE PERIOD BUTTON IS RIGHT NEXT TO THE COMMA BUTTON,I DON'T THINK YOU CAN BLAME EVERYTHING ON THE AUTOCHECKER

What is with the critization?
If you must know I am disabled and have limited use of my hands from severe nerve damage.
We are not on here to pass a writing or spelling test.
I hate when condescending people come on here and pass judgement on people,I happen to have a very high education.
I was a Registered Nurse with a bachelors degree,after I couldn't' do that anymore do to my health,I went on to get a degree in information technology and now work from home.
Excuse me if I wasn't paying enough attention to my grammer.
Enough Periods for you now?

Last edited:

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
The iPad 4 is just SLIGHTLY better than the 3 is.

O rly?

First time I've heard 100% improvement being considered "slight". It's a HUGE improvement in graphics performance. If the fanboys weren't so butthurt about not having the shiniest new toy 7 months after they bought it, they'd be lauding this improvment. It also craps on the GPU in the new Nexus 10.

51313.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.