Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today, DC Comics announced that its entire lineup of comics are coming to the iBookstore. Previously, only DC's graphic novels were available on the store.

NewImage6.png
DC Entertainment, the #1 comic book publisher in the U.S., announced today its entire line of periodical comic books are now available for download from the top three e-bookstores including Kindle Store, iBookstore and NOOK Store. The precedent setting new digital availability brings bestselling DC Comics and Vertigo periodical titles, including JUSTICE LEAGUE, BATMAN, SUPERMAN, DETECTIVE COMICS, ACTION COMICS, BATGIRL, WONDER WOMAN, GREEN LANTERN, FABLES and AMERICAN VAMPIRE, among many others, to an even broader audience of digital readers.
DC will continue to deliver comics through its DC Comics and Vertigo apps, as well as the comiXology platform. The inclusion of the comics on the iBookstore is intended to make it easier for comic readers to purchase via their preferred digital outlet.

Article Link: DC Puts All Its Comics on the iBookstore

Josheh

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
I dont plan on buying it but its good to know its there.

Yeah, I love this news! I'm not a big comic person, but I really like to see a content company like this getting with the times. There's still a lot of companies I'm looking at to pull their stuff together. The digital age is upon is and it seems too often companies are resisting it because they fear the change. Thing is, those that give in and go with the flow, I actually buy their products because they're finally delivering it in a medium I want.

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
WONDERFUL! The ACTION of bringing all the COMICS in the iBooks store is SUPER news, according to my humble JUSTICE! Bring on the Comics LEAGUE!

Last edited:

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Glad to hear it. It's the only way comic books are going to make a resurgence. That, and decent stories!

wwchris

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Comixology

Comixology is an awesome app that does Marvel, DC, Image lots of Indies and yes, all of The Walking Dead. All products are available for download and have guided reading where it enlarges each frame as you swipe (if you choose to read in that mode). In addition, issues are available to read on their website on your computer. I can't recommend it highly enough, it has brought me back into reading comics.

Oh yeah, all comics are bought through your Apple account:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/comics/id303491945?mt=8

Ochyandkaren

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
Lisbon
DC Comics and Marvel suck!

Heavy Metal magazine (former Metal Hurlant), HellBoy or anything by Dave McKean, Serpieri, Vertigo …
NO Marvel or DC comics.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Are these showing up for anyone? Although the article summary says "coming", the quote says "now available" but I don't see any on there.

Edit: It looks like this is US only...

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Being an avid comic book reader (don't do DC or Marvel, but I do Vertigo) I am all for this. I don't like comixology because I can't back up the purchase or purchases. It is stored on their machines and I don't have access to them outside the app. Not saying they are going away or going under, but if they do, my digital comic collection is gone.

I like this idea that I will have all my comics downloadable to my devices and ability to back them up.

I am excited for the Vertigo line! Now if Image and some of the smaller companies would do this, I would be a very happy camper.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Perfect! I'd like to see IMAGE get behind this and put up The Walking Dead series!

...Well one can dream right? :cool:

I have bought the Walking Dead on iBooks. The collections, not individual, mind you. But they are there.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Perfect! I'd like to see IMAGE get behind this and put up The Walking Dead series!

...Well one can dream right? :cool:

The Graphic novels are up already. Which is the way I prefer to read them even though I have them individually too.

I would like to see a lot of the other Image comics come though! I love reading this stuff on my iPad.

Looks like starbird beat me to it... lol

I also am giving Detective Comics a shot now that John Layman is writing for the line! Love this guy and I hope he breaths fresh air into this comic. Read the first graphic novel and was not impressed at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.