Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
All the Ive articles that quote his thoughts show a guy that is onto it in terms of design, the customer experience, and design excellence through the whole machine whether you can see it or not. Even the the packaging. Who does that. Jony Ive. This level of commitment to design means that Apple promoting Ive in this way is a great decision.

The future already looks great for Samsung and Google. Microsoft and some PC makers seem to be the slowest to learn and adapt. The next 10 years will be an interesting time.

Apples lead in key areas that determine product success is being closed. In other areas it's not even being touched.

I'm wrapped with the Ive decision. As an Apple customer it makes me feel good about the future. Real good.

Agreed.

On the other hand, despite what I've heard here, Microsoft has really impressed me with Windows 8. I love the commercial where the mom grabs the "iMac" and puts it on a painter's canvas rack and the daughter paints on it. Cool. So, while they're trying to be "all things to all people", I see that they're actually trying to do something interesting and fun. I would not dismiss them just yet.

If they can work on their ecosystem integration (and for me, their hardware design as well), I feel they'll become a real threat (or alternative, depending on your point of view) real quick. It looks like they're moving in the right direction; If done right, I'm not above switching to Windows phone, Surface, 8 desktop. I feel in this respect, they're superior to Android/Google.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
I'm hopeful that Ive can bring some order, consistency and some new life into the UI's of both OS X and iOS.

On the Mac:
1. Bring color back to OS X. I don't understand the grayscale-ness of iTunes and Finder, especially now that we have Retina quality displays.
2. Consistency around the OS. I'm thinking of UI elements, usage of Sheets and Dialogs, iCloud integration, full screen vs not, "x" to close an app vs. not, etc.
3. Expose/MC choice. I don't use Spaces and rarely use Full Screen so MC has limited use for me and makes my app windows very small.

iOS wishlist: (these are probably all available on jailbreak)
1. Gesture-based Expose like app switcher that shows open apps live preview.
2. Updating icons
3. UI to get pushed down by notifications, not just notifications on top of screen.
4. Customizable lock screen that combines features of notification center.

And oh yeah, seriously limit the skuemorphism.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
I personally think this is the end for OS X and iOS. We have entered into a new generation of computing with Retina displays etc and its always been felt that ios and os x have been patched up to fit these new technologies. They are both a mess... Skeumorphisms, last remnants of Aqua, and the half introduction of the black ios theme into os x.

For me, the handing over of everything visual to Ive means one thing... that OS 11 could be upon us! Completely redesigned to match up to the newest generation of computers / tablets / phones. ONE operating system for all 3, designed visually by Ive to match the hardware, also designed by Ive.

Man, time flies. It's hard to believe that Mac OS X 10.0 was released in 2001. The transition from OS 9 to OS X took a while but Apple really hit its stride in delivering incredible new features with Panther, Tiger and Leopard.

Now, I'm no John Siracusa so this may not be true anymore, but consider that the core of the OS comes from late 1980's NeXT technology, and I think you are right....It is time for the next revolution in computing OS's.

It's also amazing to consider what has happened first, since 2007 (iPhone) and since 2010 (iPad-first tablet computer people cared about).

Microsoft has made it's bet on convergence of UI across all devices. Google has a bet on now with Android and a bet on the future with ChromeOS. But all Google cares about is eyeballs, not necessarily great design.

Where is Apple going to go? Do they really believe that computers (trucks) are different than tablets (cars)?

driceman

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
I was amazed by APPL board to let Tim lead the company, not he is not a good leader. APPL is different from any other company not because of its operation (that's Tim, he does a fantastic job!), but because of Steve!

They should have been looking for Steve's replacement and Johny should be at least on that short list. Wondering why it takes them a whole year to find Johny..... next door.

I thought I heard somewhere that Ive didn't WANT to be CEO... He'd rather be the guy being a bad @$$ over in the design department. :D

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I'd love for 10.9 and iOS 7 to have some real UI unification. No more cluttered contextual menus.

No more triplicates in the "open with" section.

More user controlled editing of how information is conveyed.

Last edited by a moderator:

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Jobs was a visionary and needed some luck; the consumer market for computers didn't exist when Steve founded Apple.

Jony, on the other hand, already has an established market share with hundreds of millions of consumers. With a well establish market, an unbelievable brand, and a cash balance approaching 200 billion next year. Jony doesn't need luck; he just needs to keep doing what he already has been doing for quite some time at Apple. :D

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-cash-balance-2013-2012-6

Ive didn't have all that at Apple when he was working there in 1997. He designed the second generation of the Newton, the MessagePad110 supposedly.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
Jony Ive seems to be doing fine in the shadows. He doesn't need an upfront position to put pressure on him. Phil Schiller should be the front man.

wizzerandchips

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006
So one man cannot replace Jobs, you need 2: Cook and Ive.

And! I remember when I had a fallout with my business partner in 2007...I left...and he replaced me with 3 people ! Some men are good at multitasking

I hope Ive lives up to all your expectations...because boy I wouldn't want to be at the end of you lot if he don't :eek:

jonathan1683

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2011
All this hype, he is no jobs replacement, there never will be. Everyone is riding him so hard there will be no one to correct him because they are afraid of him. Do you remember all the ugly ass iphone prototypes he put out that jobs shut down? Anyways I hope he does well.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Do you remember all the ugly ass iphone prototypes he put out that jobs shut down? Anyways I hope he does well.
no, but I'm sure you'll remind us. Do you have photos and something to back up the claim Jobs shot them down?

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
I like the idea of the surface pro.
it should tie in with a win 8 pro laptop / desktop and a win 8 phone and be a very good experience.

i would probably run ubuntu on the intel chip microsoft surface though :|

I doubt you's have much luck with that.
Soft Keyboard support
Hardware keyboard ( covers ) have unique drivers
Video and touch drivers
Power drivers / recharging - propriety connectors

I mean I am sure you could install it but it's not going to do anything... well anything touchy

----------

All this hype, he is no jobs replacement, there never will be. Everyone is riding him so hard there will be no one to correct him because they are afraid of him. Do you remember all the ugly ass iphone prototypes he put out that jobs shut down? Anyways I hope he does well.

Some of the iphone prototype were fantastic. Some, well, were not!.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/iphone-cad-drawings-and-prototypes/

You have to remember some of there are 6-7 years old so prototypes were constantly evolving.

How do you know Jobs shut them down... it's the design process.
Design>evolve>scrap>Repeat 100 times>Evolve>Release.*

Unless you are Samsung. Copy.EvolveABit.Release

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
I do think that people on here have no idea what it takes to run a business of this size.

I am not claiming I do. But I suspect that Sir Johnny has less knowledge about the Financials than Tim Cook. And Tim probably doesn't have that design feel.

And with a company like this it's all about the Timescales and bigger picture and Sir J. Seems to be very detail driven and insular. Hense

Looks like a great team to me.

Reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JLjldgjuKI
SJI has a very shiny forehead. And whilst factual doens't have the slick presentation skills of some of the others.

And it appears he can smile

Sir-Jonathan-Ive.jpg

Last edited:

waldobushman

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
I was amazed by APPL board to let Tim lead the company, not he is not a good leader. APPL is different from any other company not because of its operation (that's Tim, he does a fantastic job!), but because of Steve!

They should have been looking for Steve's replacement and Johny should be at least on that short list. Wondering why it takes them a whole year to find Johny..... next door.

Steve Jobs want Tim Cook as CEO. You think the Board was going to do anything different from that?

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Somebody has.....

to provide the insight, the aesthetics and the overall design ideas for Apple, now without Steve. Good to know that person is Ive, multi-awarded and key part of Apple sucess:):apple:

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
I actuallly dont like this guy. I love the iPod and iPad, but Samsungs/Sony/LG smartphones are way more beautiful then an iPhone. And the whole macintosh line is getting uglier every year.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Man

Doesn't Apple have a campus gym? Some execs need to get in and shed some pounds.

Apple has a few scattered throughout the campus actually.

----------

I actuallly dont like this guy. I love the iPod and iPad, but Samsungs/Sony/LG smartphones are way more beautiful then an iPhone. And the whole macintosh line is getting uglier every year.

i can't seem to find a notebook/laptop that looks better than the macbook, imo. i'm not being sarcastic or rhetorical, I really can't find a laptop that looks better than the macbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.