Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
I am waiting for my LTE version, and wondering if it's the same way. Would owners kindly closely look at the back to see any scuffs or scratches?

Have you been using a case?
How long have you had it?
If you got a scuff, how long did you have it for?

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
Pristine right out of the box. No case, have had it so since release. I do have Smart Cover, but I only use it if I take the mini out of the house.

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
Mine was flawless when it arrived, however the bezel is starting to show scuffs and it hasn't left my house. Have a smart cover. Back isn't a problem yet. I think same was with the iPhone 5, the edges/bezel is the problem with scuffing.

mdehoogh

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
No scratches on mine yet. Only a smart cover right now but I did order one of those $1 skinomi skins and a sleeve for when I take it out

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Had two microscopic scuffs on my white iPad mini when I took it out of the box in the store. Had them box it back up and give me a different one. There was another scuff where the metal meets the front glass. Exchanged it again and asked for a black one. There were tiny silver marks on the very edges of the metal. Told the Apple Store employee helping me to please get another black one, but again it had a few pin-sized marks, this time near the lightning port.

Finally asked to try white again. Had another pin-sized scratch on the edge but I accepted it after I was offered a $10 iTunes card.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
mine is fine, and hasn't gotten any scuffs so far

Same here. I really, really like the look of the black one w/ red smart cover and no other protection. Perhaps it will not stay in pristine condition on the back for very long. I don't make special efforts to protect my gear against signs of ordinary wear. I'll sleeve this thing when carrying it in a handbag but just to protect the ports.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Had two microscopic scuffs on my white iPad mini when I took it out of the box in the store. Had them box it back up and give me a different one. There was another scuff where the metal meets the front glass. Exchanged it again and asked for a black one. There were tiny silver marks on the very edges of the metal. Told the Apple Store employee helping me to please get another black one, but again it had a few pin-sized marks, this time near the lightning port.

Finally asked to try white again. Had another pin-sized scratch on the edge but I accepted it after I was offered a $10 iTunes card.

I think you need something important to worry about.

blerns3

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
No scuffs here. I've been keeping in the box while not in use because I'm still waiting on my case to ship. Can never be too careful.

Nuttydev

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Bristol, England.
I have a tiny paint chip on the back from when I used the smart cover to prop my iPad up so I could watch something, then pressed down on the volume button too hard and it fell off the smart cover. Barely noticable though and other than that its prestine.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
For what it's worth. I have a case I bought from amazon. I initially liked the idea of going caseless as the Mini is rather svelte. However, after using it in the case, the overall experience is the same as with the larger iPad. In other words: get a really light case, it will protect the Mini and also improve the grip considerably.

Feels better with a case also.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
I have a tiny paint chip on the back from when I used the smart cover to prop my iPad up so I could watch something, then pressed down on the volume button too hard and it fell off the smart cover. Barely noticable though and other than that its prestine.

I had the same thing happen (popped it off the smart cover). It slide across my desk, over the edge and then into my hands. Checked it throughly and no scratches, nicks, or marks at all. So I'd say it's prone to scuffing at all, but obviously can if try hard enough.

Mars478

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, NY
Got a silver knick in the top right corner of my iPad mini, and I got a case after that. Was using a Smart Cover previously. It made me sad because I was treating it well. Oh well.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
One thing to watch out for, Rings.

Rings beat the day lights out of the the edge of the bezel on the iPad and ladies the iPhone 5

Watching one with a ring on the thumb and one on nearly every knuckle all I heard during the demo was clicks and scrapes of metal on metal.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Scuff free, but I'm taking extra care of it, until my back protector comes in

michaelsaxon

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006

1st world problems.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
had two microscopic scuffs on my white ipad mini when i took it out of the box in the store. Had them box it back up and give me a different one. There was another scuff where the metal meets the front glass. Exchanged it again and asked for a black one. There were tiny silver marks on the very edges of the metal. Told the apple store employee helping me to please get another black one, but again it had a few pin-sized marks, this time near the lightning port.

Finally asked to try white again. Had another pin-sized scratch on the edge but i accepted it after i was offered a $10 itunes card.

Pretty sure this can fit in textbooks as a case for OCD.

Mine's perfectly fine BTW.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
No scuffs, put it in a cheap TPU cover from day one. The front has no protection except on the edges where the TPU cover flaps over.

HenryBishop

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
New York
Have a 32GB mini and it is still in pristine condition. No protection at all and I may keep it that way, but thinking of getting that beautiful red Smart Cover.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.