Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lifeislikeme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Hey, guys. Yesterday i came across an iPhone-controlled Spying tank online. According to their video instruction, it seems that the tank is able to make a WiFi hotspot, which can be detected by iPhone. When you access to the hotspot, your iPhone is connected to the tank. Then you enter an i-Spy toys App to remote control the tank and take photos (http://bit.ly/PD1Fsg). I wonder if that was real WiFi or something else. What's the difference between that "WiFi" and the WiFi made by wireless router? Waiting for a simple question,:) cause i'm not some geek.

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Wifi is merely a way of connecting to a network without wires. It doesn't have to involve a connection to the web.

So yes this is 'real' wifi. The tank is creating a wifi network the iphone can join.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I wonder if that was real WiFi or something else. What's the difference between that "WiFi" and the WiFi made by wireless router? Waiting for a simple question,:) cause i'm not some geek.
No difference. WiFi is WiFi. Not having a router in the mix doesn't make it "fake WiFi". A router (wired, wireless or both) is required for connecting two networks together. Some WiFi devices can connect in ad-hoc mode without an access point.

Wifi is merely a way of connecting to a network without wires. It doesn't have to involve a connection to the web.
^ This. Web access is a frequent use for WiFi but does not define WiFi. If in doubt, Google it and read up.

Bobby.e

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
Kansas
Hey, guys. Yesterday i came across an iPhone-controlled Spying tank online. According to their video instruction, it seems that the tank is able to make a WiFi hotspot, which can be detected by iPhone. When you access to the hotspot, your iPhone is connected to the tank. Then you enter an i-Spy toys App to remote control the tank and take photos (http://bit.ly/PD1Fsg). I wonder if that was real WiFi or something else. What's the difference between that "WiFi" and the WiFi made by wireless router? Waiting for a simple question,:) cause i'm not some geek.

You are using what's called ad-hoc wifi with a toy instead of infrastructure which is what a router uses. ad-hoc is device to device.

lifeislikeme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
You are using what's called ad-hoc wifi with a toy instead of infrastructure which is what a router uses. ad-hoc is device to device.
OK, i think you guys have made it clear for me. WiFi is networking. It can be networking from Word Wide Web to device, and from device to device as well. And from device to device, the wifi is ad-hoc WiFi, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.