Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

secured2k

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
Pillowing effect has been around for the past year with an official response from LifeProof.
For those having trouble with typing with the case on, it has been an issue with "pillowing" where there is an air gap between the screen protector and the glass digitizer. Some say they have to suck the air out or try to get the air out before the case is closed. LifeProof has a FAQ about it ( http://www.lifeproof.com/support/knowledge-base/solution/2184 ) where they say the following:

Air normally gets trapped in when you close the case. Press the front of the case firmly against your chest with the palm of your hand against the back of the case to squeeze the air out. This should fix the problem.

It usually takes about a week for the case and screen to really settle in becoming the flattest possible. Your screen should be very tactile and responsive but it is normal for there to be a slight gap near the home button

blkonblk17

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
Just returned mine at best buy. It does as intended protect your phone from the elements and what not. However, the added bulkyness, rainbow/pillow effect, audio sounding muffled when playing off speakerphone I couldn't live with. IMHO still a good case just not for me.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
These lifeproof people are either stupid or terrible engineers. Everyone, since the first generation has complained about the pillowing yet it is still present. You would think that they would have found a way to fix this issue by now. Very sad, smh.

Raegor

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2010
Air my butt. There's foam around the earpiece, that causes the top of the phone to be spaced away from the screen protector, hence pillowing

Its a clear design flaw. If someone rips out that foam let me know how it works. I don't want to since I'll likely return the case.

DanUC6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
I have watched these forums for a long time and gotten great advice but never felt compelled to post anything myself. That changed when I got this case and I felt I needed to share my experience since many have been asking for impressions of it.

I ordered directly from lifeproof and got my case on Saturday and couldn't wait to finally cover my naked phone. I had high hopes for this case as others have really liked theirs and I spend a considerable amount of time on or near water. I followed all of the instructions on their website (unlike the 4/4S case which had instructions in the box, the fre simply points you to their site). The case passed the water test with no problems. I inserted my phone and set about my day. Shortly after that the issues started.

First, I have no rainbow effect and the pillowing is minor. The gap does make navigating somewhat more difficult but it was a sacrifice I was prepared to make for the sake of having my phone protected from an accidental drop into the lake, fishtank, or pool...all of which have happened to family members over the past few years.

The big issues I have are with the proximity sensor and microphone sensitivity. (I carried my phone naked from launch day until Saturday so I know these issues are case-related.)

During one of my first phone calls, I started getting a ringing in my ear that could be heard by the person on the other end. The sound was like you put a microphone next to a speaker and turned the volume up. Terminated the call and tried again. Same thing. It does not happen on every call, but at least 50% of them. I have tried adjusting how I hold and use the phone but it still happens. When there is no ringing/feedback, the person on the other end often complains that I sound muffled or that the microphone is cutting in and out. I feel like I am yelling into my phone for them to hear me. All of these are totally unacceptable side effects which make phone calls a chore.

Another big problem is the interference I'm experiencing with the proximity sensor. Sometimes the screen will light up during a call and I'll be "face-dialing" without knowing it. I have accidentally initiated several facetime calls, dialed into people's ears, and even inadvertantly muted conversations. Other times, when I pull the phone down from my ear, the sensor will not recognize it and won't light the screen. While this is a minor annoyance, it's something that didn't happen before the case and definitely not a welcomed addition to my iP5's functionality! It may not be a big deal for some, but it's not something I'm prepared to deal with.

I took the phone out of the case this morning and everything is functioning properly. The case is lightweight and waterproof, but that's all the praise I can give it.

Oh, and for those of you wondering, the headphone jack is very recessed and I haven't been able to find any cord small enough to fit in the opening on the case. IMHO, the included adapter is the only reliable way to use headphones or other audio devices (and its the only way to ensure your phone is protected from water and dust infilitration). Although for me its another annoyance to have to keep up with the adapter and remove and replace the plug for each use, that's something that will be a personal decision on whether the hassle is worth the protection. Not a deal breaker for me, but when added to my other issues, it certainly doesn't help.

After struggling with this case for four days, I'll be sending it back to lifeproof for a refund. Of course they will keep a 15% restocking fee plus shipping costs, which is irritating when their product does not work for me, but that's a small price to pay to get rid of what I had hoped to be a great product. I'm disappointed in this case to say the least, and I'll go back to running my phone naked until I can find a suitable case.

Thanks for sharing. Some pretty big concerns...for me at least.

iproductsuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Air my butt. There's foam around the earpiece, that causes the top of the phone to be spaced away from the screen protector, hence pillowing

Its a clear design flaw. If someone rips out that foam let me know how it works. I don't want to since I'll likely return the case.

I did this on my iPhone 4S version. No help.

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
If you have a fan discount it's best to get it directly from your carrier to save big bucks so I am going to wait :D

Sgt93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
TX
-Passed the water test after an hour plus.
-Silence button is much better than the 4/4S version my wife has.
-There is pillowing due to a small cushion strip, no biggie to me.
-I don't see a rainbow in my screen protector which is good.

Again, this case was made for people who actually need the protection due to their jobs/lifestyle and it will do just that. I'm glad I bought it. The Commuter is sitting in a drawer.

PittsDriver

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
My phone randomly goes on speakerphone when on calls. It's going back.

I'm no engineer, but the screen fix is simple. Make it glass, there you go Lifeproof, your welcome. Fuse a plastic home button to a glass protector that's fused to the case. East. Typing is difficult and feels so damn cheap.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
Ok due to the mixed reviews but most of them negative I'm going to give it a try and I'll post my review as well in a few hours.

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
I like the case better than the otterbox defender I tried but I won't be keeping it. Still looking for the case that doesn't alter typing as much and has a built in protector. I'll miss the waterproofing and slim design but just not worth the $90 as I don't have that much contact with water to NEED it.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
I still have not done the water test or put my phone into the case yet.
Maybe tonight.:p

I'm also waiting for the TakTic iPhone 5 case but the iPhone 7 will be out before anyone sees this case.:eek:

mrbunglez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
I still have not done the water test or put my phone into the case yet.
Maybe tonight.:p

I'm also waiting for the TakTic iPhone 5 case but the iPhone 7 will be out before anyone sees this case.:eek:

Only thing I find neat about that taktik case is its mute toggle. Everything else I can't stand, that thing looks like a tank. Maybe if they made it slimmer I'd consider it.

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
Well, this is an excellent thread for those whom are still deciding on which path to take. It appears that everyone has different expectations from this particular case, as it should be and as expected. Based on some of the reviews and my occasional need for more protection, this case will probably not meet my expectations.

Thanks for everyone's input.

dennisjr631

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
I love my case but there's only one problem. The back window that covers the apple logo has scratch lines all through it. I know it's stupid but for the price they charge this is unacceptable ! I would post a pic but I don't know how to do it.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
I just picked up this today at my local best buy. I'd like to share my thoughts on this case.

Let me mention this is my first lifeproof case i have ever owned, therefore I don't know how the other versions were. But as far as this version goes, my first impression of this case is that it felt very cheap. The back piece of the case was sort of slanted like someone else mentioned, like a banana. I began to install my phone into this case, (let me mention I have a Pure glass screen protector as well as a clear-coat full body protection on my phone) it seemed to fit nicely, although it was sort of tight, probably because of my pure sp. However I got it securely shut with just a little bit of force, and now it shuts nicely the last 3 or 4 times I've been installing and removing my phone from the case.

First thing I mentioned once the phone was installed was that there was a huge air pocket between the phone and the screen on the case. When I tried to push the air out as stated on Lifeproof's website I was unsuccessful. The sensitivity to the screen is pretty off, I almost have to press down hard(er) then usual to make my phone do anything. The home button is almost impossible to get to. Other than that case feels cheap but will probably hold up to its features that is advertised. I am doing a water test on my case as we speak, which should be done in about 20 mins. As I mentioned above I would only be using this case for needed occasions such as when I travel, possibly for work, and probably when I go snowboarding in the next month or 2. This will NOT be my everyday case. Overall not to sure if I want to keep this case, I will use it for a few days and see what I think, might have to go back to best buy.

Note: These flaws mentioned above could be from the fact that I have a pure sp(little thicker than normal sp) as well as a full body skin. Unfortunately I don't have access to an iPhone 5 that is fully naked at the moment, and I would NOT, almost ever, take off my skins and awesome Pure SP to test this case.

Thanks and I appreciate all the feedback from others which lead me to the purchase of this case for myself to gather my own opinion on it, as of now its still up in the air for me.

Keep the reviews coming as this case is still pretty rare and others might want to note other people's opinion on this case to make their purchasing decision.

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
Yea same here lol. It's available 70 miles away but the bestbuy 20 miles away I can't even order them online for store pickup:confused:... Guess I'm lucky I can order 1 from LP on the 26th:rolleyes:

Sgt93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
TX
You all find a reason to gripe about something. "The back curves", really!?!?! Why yes it does, it's thin. If it were thick you would gripe about the size. Plus, once it's on the phone is it still curving? Didn't think so. Go back to playing MW3 while real users carry this in the the field happily. Thank you LifeProof!

----------

Is the case only available in select BB's? I cannot seem to find it in stock in NY.

On a serious note, My local store did not have any and I kept inputting my zip on the Best Buy site a few times a day. I checked this morning and nothing. Checked 2 hours later and they were in stock. Went tot he store and the mobile devices manager didn't even know they were in yet. He called the warehouse and they had just been received.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
You all find a reason to gripe about something. "The back curves", really!?!?! Why yes it does, it's thin. If it were thick you would gripe about the size. Plus, once it's on the phone is it still curving? Didn't think so. Go back to playing MW3 while real users carry this in the the field happily. Thank you LifeProof!

----------

On a serious note, My local store did not have any and I kept inputting my zip on the Best Buy site a few times a day. I checked this morning and nothing. Checked 2 hours later and they were in stock. Went tot he store and the mobile devices manager didn't even know they were in yet. He called the warehouse and they had just been received.

The curve on the back is not even a big deal. The biggest problem is the air in between the screen and the phone while in the case, and probably the only major flaw and deal breaker for me considering the whole phone is a "touch screen."

Sgt93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
TX
It's that padding towards the top. I have no idea what it's purpose is. Maybe to keep the plastic screen taught? Anyways, it's good for us working in the elements and I'm happy. A glass screen built in would be nice but would make this a $$$ case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.