Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
All I keep reading is hate and disappointment for the iPad Mini....

I just want to throw my thoughts out there.... I love it.

Actually...I can't use the big daddy iPad anymore, it feels too chunky, heavy and some apps just feel 'too big' on the screen!

A lot of people don't like the screen on the mini, I personally don't have any problems with it, the only area I've noticed 'non retina' is the App Store, websites and text still look great to me. (note I haven't read any books though)

Talk about light.... Around a week of using it everyday.... I still can't comprehend how light it is and how incredible it feels to hold.

I've got the iPad 3 and it didn't really feel much quicker than my iPad 2, so I don't have any issues with speed.

Finally, I'm finding I'm using my iPad way more now, I've been taking it to work, the shops...everywhere! It fits nicely in my jacket pocket.

I just thought I'd type some late thoughts cause I haven't read much love for it on here. - Maybe I'm just blind!

Who else loves or at least doesn't have a problem with the mini?

:)

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I was reading several Newstand magazines on my iPad mini today including TNW Magazine, The Huffington Post and others. I was certain it would look too small vs. my old iPad 3 retina but it was clear as a bell and because it handled like a real magazine/book in the way I held it was a much, much, much better experience than swiping at my old iPad laying on a table or my lap. So, so great.

I am about 36 hours into having my iPad mini and to say I love it is an understatement, the only Apple device that was more meaningful to me has been my first iPhone and mind you I have owned the iPhone 3G, 4, 5 and iPad 1, 2, and 3.

Diana Prince

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Very happy with the mini. I use it primarily at work. I take it to court with me to use during the down time. I use my regular sized iPad at home for couch browsing.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I love the Mini

It's very close to being perfect. I would like a better screen in the same size, but not if it becomes a lot heavier.

fsumom

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2010
Extremely happy with it and extremely sad it's a present for my 6 year old daughter as I'd like to keep it for myself :D.

Moneymiike420

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
Got the 4 on Friday and don't get me wrong it's a phenomenal device it's too clunky for me. Just picked up the mini from best buy and I'm in love. I can live without the retina display it really only noticeable on the Mac rumors site because of the huge white background. The design,portability makes up for the screen. I got a 2012 MBA 13" so I really don't need the 4. Will be returning the 4,smart cover and smart case tomorrow and will grab a Smart Cover for the mini..gonna go blaze and mess around with this bad boy :apple::)

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
A
Finally, I'm finding I'm using my iPad way more now, I've been taking it to work, the shops...everywhere! It fits nicely in my jacket pocket.

I can't explain this phenomenon, because the regular iPad isn't exactly a behemoth, but I have been taking my Mini with me too where I haven't really ever bothered to bring my iPad with me.

I've actually never really got into Flipboard or any news app but with the Mini it just seems and feels so natural.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
I haven't really played with the mini but people seem to use it's size to justify taken it out of the house. This completely blows me away. When was the original form factor to take outside of your house?

I've been dreaming of a computer this thin for years.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
I love my mini - so much easier for me (I work nights in my taxi so this being just the right size for easy reading/netflixing and putting away quickly when a fare jumps in).

Screen angle is amazing also and this likkle ipad is so light - I really am so pleased with it. just gotta get a smart cover now.

dthmtlgod

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2007
Syracuse, NY
I just love mine, the display is fine. 

I agree 100%, seen a few times where the font was not legible while web browsing, but what I use my iPad Mini for the screen and speed is not an issue. FIFA 13 runs great, Minecraft runs great, so issues on my end.

This was my best decision on an Apple product since deciding not to go with the IP5. :apple:

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
I had rotator cuff and a SLAP (labrum tear) repair two weeks ago, yesterday. Bought the mini on release day because its become damn near impossible to hold my iPad 3 in any convenient way these days:)

I, too, bought at Best Buy assuming I'd take advantage of the 60 day return policy and drop it off when I start PT. Forget that! I'm genuinely happy with mine. I love the size...and I never left the house without my iPad before this purchase. I've always carried them everywhere. The mini just makes that task even easier.

No complaints about, screen, speed or performance in Any way, shape or form. It's too early IMHO to add the 'retina' technology to the iPad with usable battery life...ala iPad 3/4. Next year, I'll bet we will have the option. In the meantime I'm going to enjoy the heck out of the 'mini' and no chance will I return it.

J

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
i ****in love it. i got used to non retina and its getting better. its a gaming device!!! hardcore games doesnt really getting warm. unlike nexus 7 so hot to hold and battery drains like crazy yuck!

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I'm loving mine as well and I don't see anything wrong with the screen. When I got my iPad 3 I was hoping Apple would have made a mini then because that is what i wanted. The mini has been wonderful.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I just picked mine up today and I will say that I love its look, weight, and overall feel. While the display isn't horrible, coming from an iPad 3, this is a rather drastic change. I'm going to give it time and hope I adjust to it because I would really love to keep it. I can't wait to see what they will do for the second generation.

I do want to add that HD videos look stunning on it.

Last edited:

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
This device far exceeds the excitement and love I felt after getting my iPad gen 1 (which I had to wait a couple of months for to save enough money, so the build up was huge!) - I just love this new device, I can't say enough good things about it.

The big reason I bought a device like this is for viewing PDFs (my Kindle, which I love, sucks at displaying PDFs), and the mini does a fantastic job in a device so small, and with a non-retina screen. My gen 1 iPad one of the biggest uses it got (even at home, where I have my beloved PS3) was with games, and I have to say the mini does even better simply because it's so much more easily held with 1 or 2 hands. Playing games on a device this size works very well (my favourite game of recent is The Room, give it a try if you haven't).

While I was a bit disappointed it didn't sport a retina screen in this version, I'm not disappointed with the screen it has, in fact I'm impressed it does as well as it does. Can't wait till gen 2, and until then I'll adore and enjoy this lovely gen 1 device, which has impressed me more than any new device of mine of recent (including my lovely new MBA 11" i7!).

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

Actually...I can't use the big daddy iPad anymore, it feels too chunky, heavy and some apps just feel 'too big' on the screen!

A lot of people don't like the screen on the mini, I personally don't have any problems with it, the only area I've noticed 'non retina' is the App Store, websites and text still look great to me. (note I haven't read any books though)

Talk about light.... Around a week of using it everyday.... I still can't comprehend how light it is and how incredible it feels to hold.

I've got the iPad 3 and it didn't really feel much quicker than my iPad 2, so I don't have any issues with speed.

I just thought I'd type some late thoughts cause I haven't read much love for it on here. - Maybe I'm just blind!

No time for love Dr. Jones...

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
It's awesome device, with a stylish form factor. I'm glad I waited to upgrade from my iPad 1. I find it the perfect device for reading, browsing the web, and watching video clips. I'm pretty sure the next version will have an much better screen resolution.

g808

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2003
Bay Area, CA
I'm sure there's a lot of love out there. It's just more fun to rant. I'm enjoying the mini a lot right now. My nexus 7 is collecting dust, but I'm finicky like that. I'll probably move back and forth between the two. Who knows, they both may get benched next week for the Nexus 10. :)

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA

Personally I love it! :) You aren't blind, it's almost always this way when a new product launches... the thousands upon thousands of people who are happily enjoying their new toy aren't on here griping or posting, so it paints a really skewed picture of what people really think of the device.

Kayakphotos

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
Naples, FL
I'm new to the forum and most of my experience with apple products has been with an iPod nano, ipod classic iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4S. I went from the 4s to the mini and haven't been disappointed with the display myself.

I like the mini mostly for the form factor. We got my son a gen 1 to watch Netflix and play games and I found it a little bit large to take "out and about". I've been pleased with the form factor and overall quality so far.

Pros:
Portability
Battery life
Weight
Sound quality (for a small device)
I find 7.9" to be a nice compromise

Cons:
No retina (not a deal breaker for me)
default text is small in Safari

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I'm new to the forum and most of my experience with apple products has been with an iPod nano, ipod classic iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4S. I went from the 4s to the mini and haven't been disappointed with the display myself.

I like the mini mostly for the form factor. We got my son a gen 1 to watch Netflix and play games and I found it a little bit large to take "out and about". I've been pleased with the form factor and overall quality so far.

Pros:
Portability
Battery life
Weight
Sound quality (for a small device)
I find 7.9" to be a nice compromise

Cons:
No retina (not a deal breaker for me)
default text is small in Safari

Download Mercury browser to fix the small font issue. It's free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.