Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
I think now that the overall collectability of comics electronically is gone, the graphic novels are the way to go. This is of course as long as they dont change them from the original versions.

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
YAWN :confused:

Seriously, who reads comics in 2012? How many times can Superman die, then return to life?

LOL..sounds EXACTLY like my gramps..exactly. When he met some of my buds who do graphics, screenplays and on set production on a few comic standards and three new series, he was totally puzzled. Demographic difference , if not in age, certainly in playfulness.

Slow Programmer

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2011
So the days of collecting comic books in hope they will someday increase in value are over. There will never be another first edition of anything that a collector will want. So it goes I guess...

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
So the days of collecting comic books in hope they will someday increase in value are over. There will never be another first edition of anything that a collector will want. So it goes I guess...

there still is print and there still is the collectability of them, but there is a large group of readers that are not in it for the collectability part of it. I think this can only help the industry.

iknows

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012

Seriously, who reads comics in 2012? How many times can Superman die, then return to life?

People who enjoy reading as an entertainment? Comic books are not just for children, just like video games are not just for children. I have been reading comic books since the early 80's.

Especially these days where now media is all integrated from publication, toys, video games and movies. You do know The Avengers is so far the number one movie of 2012? Grossing over $600 million dollars AND it is based from a comic book.

I do not plan on using this format since I rely on Comixology for my comic book needs, and I am to heavily invested to switch to another format though.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Heavy Metal magazine (former Metal Hurlant), HellBoy or anything by Dave McKean, Serpieri, Vertigo …
NO Marvel or DC comics.

Without doubt that stuff is good, but Vertigo is DC.

I'm not a super hero comics guy. I read plenty of Batman back in the day and a solitary superman comic on DC, but the only thing I've ever read from Marvel is Garth Ennis' run on Punisher. I just don't find superpowers all that interesting... Except if it's in The Boys or Kevin O'neil's Marshal Law.

DrRadon

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2008
Same as with Kindel all i can say about this is... "or you could buy your comics on comixology which works on android, ios, pc and mac".

Who cares. iBooks is a terrible service.

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004

Go ahead and YAWN at the millions of dollars in sales being generated by comic book movies over the past five years. Continue YAWNING at The Walking Dead, an extremely successful tv series spawned by comics on AMC raking in serious advertising revenue in it's third season.

So who's reading comics these days? Producers who want to make millions at the box office. That's who...

Hope that clears up your dizzy head confusion, but is still seems like you are tired from all that yawning, so please roll over and go back to sleep. :rolleyes:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
So the days of collecting comic books in hope they will someday increase in value are over.
Not over yet. Casual readers have a new choice, while collectors will still buy printed comics. However, online sales will put pressure on the printed comics to stay profitable as a distribution channel. If they don't, printed comics could go the way of the dodo and then collectors will have to go back to collecting Pez dispensers.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Meh. Whatever.

I can't speak for any other apps or e-reader/tablet devices, because I prefer to keep my stuff on one platform, which happens to be Kindle for the time being.

My major pain point for the Kindle App on iPad, as well as Windows and OS X, is the inability to have your library automatically separated by category (i.e.: Fiction, Non-Fiction, Computers, etc.), as opposed to just by title, author, or "most recent".

Although it is possible to create "collections" in your Kindle library, the process can be increasingly cumbersome as your library grows. Until the app is modified so that it lets you select an option to automatically group items by category like how they are presented on Amazon.com, I have absolutely little to no need to purchase any type of periodical such as a comic book.

mcfmullen

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
Why no word that your purchases are NOT transferable from one platform to another?

Remember guys, your collection is going to be STUCK on your iPad if you ever decide to switch in the future.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Cool. I always like companies that embrace the future. :)

It's funny, all these comments. DC Comics and Marvel and tons of other publishers have been selling digital versions of their comics on Comixology and other platforms for a while now. There is no "embracing the future".

My money will continue going to these other vendors, screw the iBookstore. At least, on Comixology, I can read my comics on any platform, not just iOS devices.

chadua

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
Comixology is an awesome app that does Marvel, DC, Image lots of Indies and yes, all of The Walking Dead. All products are available for download and have guided reading where it enlarges each frame as you swipe (if you choose to read in that mode). In addition, issues are available to read on their website on your computer. I can't recommend it highly enough, it has brought me back into reading comics.

Oh yeah, all comics are bought through your Apple account:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/comics/id303491945?mt=8

I love comixology. I have access to my comics on my android devices, my ios devices and my computers. I don't know if other stores issue update to the comics, but comixology releases updates to individual comics that improve readability. Very happy with them.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Not bad to see them on the iBookstore but like some, I will probably stick with comixology.

chadua

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
Not over yet. Casual readers have a new choice, while collectors will still buy printed comics. However, online sales will put pressure on the printed comics to stay profitable as a distribution channel. If they don't, printed comics could go the way of the dodo and then collectors will have to go back to collecting Pez dispensers.

A lot of the comics are available in a combo pack that include the print comic and a digital comic from comixology. It lets collectors have their book and read it too.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
It's funny, all these comments. DC Comics and Marvel and tons of other publishers have been selling digital versions of their comics on Comixology and other platforms for a while now. There is no "embracing the future".

My money will continue going to these other vendors, screw the iBookstore. At least, on Comixology, I can read my comics on any platform, not just iOS devices.

Yeah but compared to some companies who say screw it, who cares about giving our customers a good digital experience, this is nice to hear every once in a while.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Keep it in a case.

I can't wait until I have kids and I can sell my iPad comics to help pay for their tuition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.